Page 112 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 3051
    Astonishing Member

Terminator: Dark Fate

The first 20 minutes or so were good and fast, than it winded down into a slow mostly boring movie and picked up steam when Arnie came to the scene. Not the best Terminator movie, but had good moments and I like the older Arnie and especially the old Sarah Connor. I would love to have an aunt like her :-)

Green Slime (1968) - Awful. My, why has there not been a remake of this movie? Oh yah, because its awful.

Valley Girl (1983) - Still an incredible "snapshot in time" of the early 1980s, with the two major youth subcultures of the time on full display. Its a sweet movie, if a bit vapid and lacking in any kind of real central conflict. Haven't seen the remake.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Valley Girl (1983) - Still an incredible "snapshot in time" of the early 1980s, with the two major youth subcultures of the time on full display. Its a sweet movie, if a bit vapid and lacking in any kind of real central conflict. Haven't seen the remake.
    The remake would only have a lot of kids looking at their phones.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jumanji: Next Level

and Jumanji original.

The original Jumanji is still far superior just because of the creepy vibe and scary elements the actual game gave off. The newer movies are more comedic which is okay for the newer generation I guess. But I wish they'd go back and explore more of the board game element rather than video game.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Jumanji: Next Level

and Jumanji original.

The original Jumanji is still far superior just because of the creepy vibe and scary elements the actual game gave off. The newer movies are more comedic which is okay for the newer generation I guess. But I wish they'd go back and explore more of the board game element rather than video game.
    I was bored by both new Jumanji´s. I had to watch them and didnt laugh once. Maybe I am just a unhappy guy or something, but I don't know what's so funny about that.

The old one was good. At least when I saw it in the theaters.

Alien
    Aliens
    Gladiator
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Eraser
    Whiplash
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

ALL IS BRIGHT (2013), directed by Phil Morrison, starring Paul Giamatti, Paul Rudd and Sally Hawkins.

Two Canadians (played by two Americans) take Christmas trees from Quebec down to New York.

It's a downbeat kind of movie, with a glum sense of humour--although Sally Hawkins makes every scene she's in light up. It has a uniquely Canadian twist, yet with Giamatti and Rudd in the lead roles that undermines the verisimilitude--they're just pretending to be Canadian.

THE LADY IN THE LAKE (1946), directed by Robert Montgomery and starring Montgomery as Philip Marlowe and Audrey Totter as Adrienne Fromsett.

A great Christmas movie and a great Film Noir.

Montgomery's use of subjective camera--to stand in for him as Marlowe--is an amazing feat and requires some really long takes from the other actors. Lucky that Audrey Totter is so beautiful and so fascinating to watch, given she's looking right into the camera for a lot of the movie. Will Eisner must have been so happy when he saw this movie.

The first person point of view means that the viewer becomes Marlowe and that gives some scenes a real sense of jeopardy--this is happening to us!

The movie also has a lot of laughs.

"Do you fall in love with all your clients?"

"Only the ones in skirts."

I ended up watching The Sound of Music on TV tonight.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

That’s funny, I just watched The Sound of Metal!

Astonishing Member

Dr. Sleep: fell asleep, wow that was boring

Sonic the Hedgehog: Fun, Jim Carrey is funny as hell, Sonic could have been better, but overall it was an okay movie.

Ad Astra: I like these kind of movies, this one is no exception. Cool stuff.

Bloodshot: I don't like Vin Diesel, but he fit right in. It wasn't Marvel, but not a bad start for a new universe.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Cats - despite the bad press and not really liking the musical I checked it out for the design aspects (not bad really), still quite a labour to get through. The highlight of course was Rebel Wilson and the dancing cockroaches

Wonder Wheel- Woody Allen hasn't really done anything good since Blue Jasmine and this was meh (although Kate Winslet was great as always)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I ended up watching The Sound of Music on TV tonight.
    Still holds up! Rolf is such a dick.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

I watched GODMOTHERED (2020) last week, which I can best describe as a forced holiday movie--like forcing a square peg into a round hole, and by god they're going to make sure it fits in there. But by the end I admired the community effort in trying to get this movie to its ultimate ending--like a bad sports team that wins by sheer dogged determination. But one thing that struck me is how much stuff they were able to borrow from other (better) movies--like they out and out borrow from THE SOUND OF MUSIC, as if they don't care. Who's going to pay for that? Can they really just steal in broad daylight and not go to jail? There should be pop ups for this movie--every time they steal from something--"We took this from GROUNDHOG DAY"--so viewers can check out those movies and see where the ideas and songs came from.

Retired

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (1975), directed by Peter Weir.

I wanted to see this movie again because I plan to watch the 2018 series. I thought this one was made in the 1980s, because I first saw it back then when Australian arthouse movies were at their zenith, but it was actually made well before that. I could only remember a bit of it and mainly the emotional energy of the film. But seeing it again--it's so perfect and haunting.

GOIN' DOWN THE ROAD (1970), directed by Don Shebib, music by Bruce Cockburn.

A milestone movie in Canadian cinema. On its shoestring budget this one touched on a lot of important cultural and social problems--or you could look at it as just a buddy comedy. Two guys go down the road from Cape Breton to Toronto, the big city, in search of work and a better life. The most Canadian of Canadian movies--it was even spoofed on "SCTV."