Page 128 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 3111

Justice League, Snyder Cut.

I really didn't like it any more than the first version.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Hush, 2016.

Pretty decent. Strong casting and entertaining writing.

Retired

PHANTOMSCHMERZ [PHANTOM PAIN] (2009), written and directed by Matthias Emcke, starring Til Schweiger.

I'm always on the look out for German language movies, so I found this one at the library and decided to take a chance on it, knowing nothing about it. I really loved it.

I often get the feeling watching movies or T.V. shows--there's something vaguely Canadian about this and even I get a sense there's a Vancouver connection. I guess, living in Vancouver, one gets used to seeing it sub in for other places. But that wasn't the case with this movie--made in Germany with German actors about a German cyclist--still I got that feeling. When I looked into it, I found that it's actually based on the story of a Vancouver cyclist, named Stephen (or Stevo) Sumner. The real guy found a way to deal with his phantom pain using mirrors and has travelled the world on his bike, advocating for amputees.

King Kong Escapes. Goofy fun with a man in a monkey suit fighting a man in a robot suit over an obvious model city with toy trucks and tanks running around.
    And still better that the DiLaurentis `1975 King Kong.

One side note, near the end he destroys a ship by throwing a big propeller. Wonder if that is where the idea in Skull Island came from?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Saw Alien: Covenant.

So ... the point of those two prequel movies is to dick around for five hours just to say that a robot went crazy and used sciency stuff to create a race specifically bred to kill all humans because he was crazy. Ok.

RIP Bill Paxton and Al Matthews, your 1986 Aliens movie's throne is still quite secure.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Saw Alien: Covenant.

So ... the point of those two prequel movies is to dick around for five hours just to say that a robot went crazy and used sciency stuff to create a race specifically bred to kill all humans because he was crazy. Ok.

RIP Bill Paxton and Al Matthews, your 1986 Aliens movie's throne is still quite secure.
    Spot on assessment ST.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Watching the Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008) on TV.

I'm digging it. It's a goofy fun action movie with good performances. The subplot with the son and the Guardian's daughter was hit or miss. But Fraser and Maria Bello carried the film.

Maybe the O'Connell family could've been the modern-day Albert and Costello? Just stumbling upon the Universal Monsters...they could be the Coulson for the Monster Squad?

Invincible Member

The Trial of the Chicago 7 I thought that I might not like it, but Sacha Baron Cohen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt won me over.

Just finally saw WW84on HBO-Max and I can not even begin to comprehend what all the whining was about. Fantastic movie.

I can only guess that almost every criticism was "It's different than what the comic book versions of those stories were". To me, that's an invalid criticism, period, because it's not criticizing on the merits of the movie but some outside standard.

spoilers:
    I actually do have one real criticism and that's that they should have waited and used Barbara Minerva in a separate movie as her appearance here was not exactly a cameo but definitely as a minor and secondary character. But even that comes from comparing it to other versions of the character.

Rehashing the Steve Trevor relationship worked in the overall context and, given the circumstances, I found it believable that the world would unite like that.

Diana gaining the ability to glide or flight was fantastic though it creates a retro situation with her not being able to do that in BvS or JL. But I forgive that because they gave her back the ability.

Considering how it ends, with her clearly responding to sirens and troubles everywhere, her being unknown to the public until around 2017 becomes untenable though that's not so much a fault of WW84 as of other movies holding her back so Superman could be the first publicly known superhero.

Oh, I can see where ignoring Barbara being lesbian would be infuriating since it would be a golden opportunity to address the issue especially with Diana although it still gets into criticizing by an outside standard. But I see it.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Powerboy; 05-27-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Just finally saw WW84on HBO-Max and I can not even begin to comprehend what all the whining was about. Fantastic movie.

I can only guess that almost every criticism was "It's different than what the comic book versions of those stories were". To me, that's an invalid criticism, period, because it's not criticizing on the merits of the movie but some outside standard.

spoilers:
    I actually do have one real criticism and that's that they should have waited and used Barbara Minerva in a separate movie as her appearance here was not exactly a cameo but definitely as a minor and secondary character. But even that comes from comparing it to other versions of the character.

Rehashing the Steve Trevor relationship worked in the overall context and, given the circumstances, I found it believable that the world would unite like that.

Diana gaining the ability to glide or flight was fantastic though it creates a retro situation with her not being able to do that in BvS or JL. But I forgive that because they gave her back the ability.

Considering how it ends, with her clearly responding to sirens and troubles everywhere, her being unknown to the public until around 2017 becomes untenable though that's not so much a fault of WW84 as of other movies holding her back so Superman could be the first publicly known superhero.

Oh, I can see where ignoring Barbara being lesbian would be infuriating since it would be a golden opportunity to address the issue especially with Diana although it still gets into criticizing by an outside standard. But I see it.
    end of spoilers
    Its more like, it was a bit boring and felt flat. There wasn't just enough "punch" in it. Not a bad movie, but 20 minutes shorter and a tad bit more action would have helped the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

On it's own merits, the villain was boring, Cheetah was wasted, The action didn't live up to the first movie, when it should be better in the second. Gadot and Pine were still great together, but not enough to save the movie.

Retired

Actually, I find that what does a lot of movies in--or makes them surpass all expectations--is the fickle nature of social media. If someone can find a meme that either puts the movie down or celebrates one scene in the movie, that becomes the story.

There was a certain meme on WONDER WOMAN 1984 that people latched onto and ran with. It's like people don't want to think for themselves--so if someone does the thinking for them, they are happy to adopt that thought.

Since I had already seen the movie before this meme was shared, I enjoyed the movie. And I hate that this meme tried to spoil my enjoyment--which is why I won't repeat it.

The movie was as long as it needed to be and it packed a lot of punch. I think if the meme had been Wonder Woman riding the lightning (maybe it if hadn't been spoiled in the trailer), then that could have been what everyone latched onto--the way everyone latched onto the No Man's Land scene with the first movie. Then that would have been the story and everyone would just feel upbeat about the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Actually, I find that what does a lot of movies in--or makes them surpass all expectations--is the fickle nature of social media. If someone can find a meme that either puts the movie down or celebrates one scene in the movie, that becomes the story.

There was a certain meme on WONDER WOMAN 1984 that people latched onto and ran with. It's like people don't want to think for themselves--so if someone does the thinking for them, they are happy to adopt that thought.

Since I had already seen the movie before this meme was shared, I enjoyed the movie. And I hate that this meme tried to spoil my enjoyment--which is why I won't repeat it.

The movie was as long as it needed to be and it packed a lot of punch. I think if the meme had been Wonder Woman riding the lightning (maybe it if hadn't been spoiled in the trailer), then that could have been what everyone latched onto--the way everyone latched onto the No Man's Land scene with the first movie. Then that would have been the story and everyone would just feel upbeat about the movie.
    That is really insulting. I didn't think the movie was very good because I watched the f**king movie and didn't think it was very good. I have never been swayed by a meme, review or preview. Are there movies with one or two powerful scenes that lift it up, sure, but with action movies, that is expected. If those scenes fail, the movie often does. But I don't watch a movie and not like it and then see a meme and say, "wow I was wrong, it's not bad, it's good." Or enjoy a move and then a meme tells me I should dislike it.

Retired

Powerboy said, "I can not even begin to comprehend what all the whining was about."

And from what I saw at the time, all the whining was about this certain thing that happened in the movie. People went on and on about it. I think that's what the whining was about. I didn't want to tell Powerboy what that was in particular, because he should be free to have his good opinion of the movie. But since there was so much of this meme and everywhere I looked back then, I don't think I'm insulting anyone by saying that's what the whining was about.

And I stand by my larger thesis, which isn't about one guy's opinion of the movie, good or bad, but about how all movies trend up or down in today's culture. Some of us are independent thinkers, sure. But a lot of people on social media have a herd mentality and they will be guided by memes. If they get the idea that a movie is no good, they won't see it or they will hate watch it. And even for myself, I find I need to purposely avoid things on social media because those ideas can get in the way of my enjoying a movie or T.V. show.

Astonishing Member

I don't even know what you are talking about. Never saw any memes or whatever, or the scenes that are "this certain thing". I just didnt like it as much as I liked the first one.

Other peoples opinions...pfff. They can have it, but cannot and should not change the way you see a movie.

But I am curious. What was the certain thing? I would like to know.