Page 145 of 204 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3051

Saw Paul Verhoeven's latest, Benedetta, based on true events, it tells the story of 17th century Italian nun Benedetta Carlini, who one day receives visions of Jesus and is marked by the stigmata, after which she is promptly named abbess.

It's a Verhoeven flick so you know what's up: gratuitous violence and full frontal nudity, this movie has that in spades. But it's also quite beautifully shot and the actors are all delivering great, convincing performances. My main gripe is probably that I'm not sure what the moral of the story is. I was unfamiliar with the life of Benedetta, but all through the movie I was expecting a twist as to the true nature of Benedetta's rapport with Jesus, and it never came. Despite being set in Italy, this movie is a French production with a likewise cast, but that's not really an issue (similar to Valkyrie being set in Germany but featuring English speaking actors).

I think this is well worth a watch if you're not squeamish or faint of heart. I found it entertaining and it has great pacing for a 2-hours-and-change movie, but your enjoyment of it is probably gonna hinge on what you ultimately take away from the story.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

"Love Hard" a decent Christmas rom-com.

"The Harder they fall"- a fun western.

Astonishing Member

Free Guy

Ryan Reynolds plays himself again. Interesting concept and sometimes funny but overall average.

Straight Outta Compton

That **** is dope ;-) They left a lot out, and didnt acknowledged the domestic abuse of Dr. Dre. He came over as a cool guy, but in reality he is just a piece of sh****
    It was still fun to see that movie and hear the songs of my youth.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've seen two this week.

Dune: Grade A-
    I haven't seen the original in 20+ years. Saw it on cable one night. Mostly cause Picard was in it I kept watching. I wasn't as captivated by as it as some. Never read the book.
    The 2021 film was visually awesome. Acted well and had plenty of actors in it to make the film more interesting. Having seen so much sci-fi and fantasy in the intervening 20+ years I'm not sure what elements are wholly original to Dune and what has been borrowed. I will say that the elements are mixed together well for a solid film. A film that thankfully got a sequel greenlit cause it essentially "ends" and feels more like an intermission. Did the original end that way, does the book? If so will the sequel be an original screenplay?

ETERNALS: Grade B
    Marvel finally, after 13yrs making films, made a film about some characters I can honestly say I don't know very well. Never read any of their series, only exposed via guest appearances or cross overs and those have been few and far between. I don't understand why critics would choose to pile on this movie though. It's critical Rotten score vs Audience score is apparent. Seems a 'B' score is much more what the film is vs rotten. But hey the Marvel Studio Haters have been wanting this so let them have one.
    I'm glad I avoided spoilers.

spoilers:
    Did not see the betrayal coming. Other than the mind control appearance in New Invaders my knowledge of Ikaris is that of hero. Enjoyed the mid and end credit scenes.
    end of spoilers
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

The Harder They Fall-Straight Fire!!!

"Awakenings" (1990)

Interesting film with great performances from Williams and De Niro.

A very Harold and Kumar Christmas (2011).
    A fun time.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-14-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Eternals.

I liked it.

Christmas Chronicles - Kurt Russel and rl wife Goldie Hawn play Santa and Ms. Claus in a movie about two kids who cause Santa to crash land on Christmas night and have to save Christmas. It was ok, the girl was kind of annoying.

Christmas Chronicles 2 - An elf goes bad and tries to bring down Santa and his whole operation. The girl was annoying again but was overshadowed by how amazingly annoying the elf ended up being.

I really think somewhere near 90 percent or more of Christmas movies that get made are utter poop.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I just watched the exteded Extended cut of Terminator 2, which included the original ending that I had never seen before. And oh boy, did that ending suck.

Ali (2001)- Will Smith killed it as Muhammad Ali.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-16-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Red Notice. Fun enough, good Ryan and Rock.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Red Notice was pretty good.

Jungle Cruise. Terrible flick. Pirates of the Caribbean ripoff with oddly featured Metallica music. The best part was the first 10 minutes or so, when the Rock does his Jungle Cruise captain imitation. But I can't recommend this movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Jungle Cruise
    Red Notice

Both were below average.

In other news, Dwayne Johnson is planning to be in every movie made in the future. In fact, using the same tech seen in Forrest Gump, he will be in every movie ever made. The man is busy.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^
    Except more Fast & Furious movies says Mr. Johnson.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime