Page 148 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 3111
    Invincible Member

Sugar Boxx (2009) written and directed by Cody Jarrett. Eh...1.75 stars. It's a supposed homage/satire of 70's women behind bars flix like The Big Bird Cage and Caged Heat however it falls a little short. Some of the spoofs of bad acting and dialogue don't come across as satire...it's just bad acting and dialogue. For what it's worth Kitten Natividad, Tura Satana, and Jack Hill make cameo appearances.

Astonishing Member

The unforgiven

Sandra Bullock was once a beautiful woman. Now she looks if she is wearing a mask.

Her acting was really good, but the movie didnt get any emotions out of me.

Invincible Member

Badlands (1973) directed by Terrance Malick, a movie I had heard about long ago but didn't watch until now. Easy to see why it's regarded as one of the best movies of the 70's. The end of True Romance(1993) includes an homage to this film. I'm curious as to whether that was Tony Scott's idea or if it was in Taratino's script.

Being the Ricardos. Kidman and Badim were excellent, and a good glimpse of behind the scenes early TV and some insight into the real Lucy and Desi.
    It's not straight history, with events overlapping that were farther apart. But it's not a false portrayal either.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I thought "Being the Ricardos" was pretty fun.

All-New Member

I'm a big fan Matrix so I saw the new movie in the theater. Personally liked the new film and am looking forward to the continuation. Although my friends didn’t have enough of the Matrix philosophy.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Matrix Resurrection

For me this was feeling way too self aware for a good half or more of the movie. I was wondering how much internal parody might develop but it never quite got there. The narrative spent at least 2/3 of the time reminding you of elements from the original trilogy that were pertinent to Resurrection. It did this thru dream sequences mostly.
    Still by films end we've got the details of where the story is now. There is surely more to tell but I'm not really interested in much more within the Matrix. I want to see more of what life is like. Are there rebuilding plans? Is the surface any better 60yrs on?

I can understand some folks dislike to out right hatred I suppose but also feel they judged it based on what they might've wanted vs what was delivered. What was delivered wasn't putrid trash, it was an update to the firmware of the story if you will.

Grade: B-
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

The Last Duell

Somehow I couldn't imagine Ben Affleck and Matt Damon playing roles in medival times. It felt kinda off to me. But the acting was good, especially from Matt Damon who played the part of the frustrated loser very well. Throw Adam Driver in the mix and there you have it. The final fight was brutal.

I enjoyed it more than I thought, but I think its too boring for the tick tock generation who has the attention span of a bird.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    The Last Duell

Somehow I couldn't imagine Ben Affleck and Matt Damon playing roles in medival times. It felt kinda off to me. But the acting was good, especially from Matt Damon who played the part of the frustrated loser very well. Throw Adam Driver in the mix and there you have it. The final fight was brutal.

I enjoyed it more than I thought, but I think its too boring for the tick tock generation who has the attention span of a bird.
    The trailer did look ridiculous, but the actual movie turned out to be very good. Also, really tight and fast paced more than I expect from these period pieces. None of the scenes dragged on and the dialogue was to the point with no added fat or long monologues, and the world of the movie was very well developed.

It was a surprise as the film was not sold very well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
    The trailer did look ridiculous, but the actual movie turned out to be very good. Also, really tight and fast paced more than I expect from these period pieces. None of the scenes dragged on and the dialogue was to the point with no added fat or long monologues, and the world of the movie was very well developed.

It was a surprise as the film was not sold very well.
    No, it wasn't a surprise. The movie didnt get much advertisement and is not the movie the legions of cinema are interested right now. Especially younger audiences.

Spectacular Member

No, it wasn't a surprise. The movie didnt get much advertisement and is not the movie the legions of cinema are interested right now. Especially younger audiences.
    I meant, I was surprised it was so good because of the way the trailers sold the film. Nothing in the trailers really gave a sense of what the movie was about - and all the actors looked pretty bad in their costumes in the trailers compared to how they fit into the actual movie.

I mean, other than A KNIGHT'S TALE, I think this movie would have the best chance of reaching younger audiences. It's no slower than THE KING or the OUTLAW KING on Netflix so maybe it would have been better in that format.

Astonishing Member

Ah okay. I got it now. And I think you are right in every regard, though I think Knights movies are not trending right now.

Spectacular Member

Ah okay. I got it now. And I think you are right in every regard, though I think Knights movies are not trending right now.
    That is true... though it does seem like people keep trying to start that trend. I think I've seen more moderately big Medieval productions in the past couple years than I have Westerns.

Still, you're definitely right - as far as period genre movies and television, Downton Abby style dramas seem to have a lot more appeal than anything to do with knights, cowboys or pirates.

Invincible Member

The Take (2016) starring Idris Elba. An ok serviceable thriller. Not super original, but works for what it is. Idris's character is supposed an American, but in a couple places his accent slips.

I rewatched One Night in Miami.