Page 151 of 208 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3116
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Morbius.....don't believe all the negative stuff you read. I thought it was entertaining and delved more into the horror comics era of Marvel.

I saw the movie The Bubble today.

It is a hilarious send-up of trying to make a movie in the midst of the pandemic and the catastrophes that ensue. Karen Gillan leads the cast but there are tons of recognizable people in key and cameo roles. It's completely absurd but in such a way that I spend most of the movie just laughing my ass off!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

"Belfast"- I thought it was great.

Invincible Member

12 Angry Men (1957) Starring Henry Fonda and directed by Sydney Lumet. In certain ways it's a little dated but for the most part it still holds up. For some reason the bit with spoilers:
    the supposed uniqueness of the knife and then Fonda pulls one just like it out of his pocket cracks me up. Probably cuz decades later when we were 10yr olds we were able to get that exact knife for like $5.
    end of spoilers

I want to say I half remember a "Happy Days" episode that might have been loosely inspired by the film?

Marry Me, I enjoyed it as light and entertaining fare with a positive message or two. JLO looked pretty good, and natural, which was refreshing. On the big screen I was a little distracted by Owen Wilson's somewhat distorted nose, there were a ton of extreme closeups on faces in this film.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Watched "Death on the Nile" (2022) on HBO and "Werewolf of London" (1935) on the local horror show Svengoolie over the weekend.

I've seen "Werewolf" many times and I always liked the makeup used in this one better than what Jack Pierce did for Lon Chaney Jr in "The Wolf Man". Horror host Svengoolie said that according the Henry Hull's nephew, he went to Carl Laemmle and asked to have less makeup. He explained that in the script Dr Glendon's wife immediately recognizes her husband as the creature chasing her. Henry Hull's point was Pierce had put on so much hair, etc that she wouldn't have been able to. That kills the urban legend that Hull was too vain to wear all the makeup, which still took a couple of hours to apply.

So far I have enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's two Agatha Christie adaptations...Murder on the Orient Express and now Death on the Nile. The production values are high and I like his portrayal of Hercule Poirot. Now if we could only get some new Sherlock Holmes!

Captain America The First Avenger (2011).
    Kind of annoying at times, but I liked it.

Astonishing Member

Death on Nil 2022

After the dance scene at the club I told my wife what would happen in the movie, and I was spot on. Usually I haven't a detective mind, so either I am very very smart or it was too obvious?

I guess the case was too weak, because I don't tend to think about who the muderer is, or how a case gets resolved and so on.

All in all i was entertained

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Princess Mononoke in theaters.

Great film, I'd daresay a masterpiece. Definitely the best movie I've seen from Studio Gibli, and now up there with my favorite anime. (Belladonna of Sadness, End of Evangelion, K8ki's Delivery Service)

The movie could have easily have portrayed the human villagers as evil savages hellbent on destroying the environment, and the forest creatures as saints, but no group comes off as the mustache bad guys. The humans have justified reasons for fearing the spirits of the forest and the animals are just as prone to petty emotions such as pride and tribalism as the humans.

It goes without saying that the animation is beautiful, and the fact that the West has more or less abandoned hand drawn animated theatrical movies is a grave injustice. The medium has barely touched the surface of it's true potential.

The only critique I have with Princess Mononoke is that the film would have been a lot more powerful without the protagonist and instead switched between the perspectives of the San and Lady Eboshi. Having a blank slate character who was on both sides of the conflict felt like a cop out.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-06-2022 at 10:32 PM.

A Chiara, an Italian movie directed by Jonas Carpignano and starring Swamy Rotolo as Chiara, a 15 year old girl living in Calabria who, shortly after her big sister's 18th birthday celebration, learns that her father is involved with the 'Ndrangheta, one of the major Italian crime syndicates. The movie focuses almost entirely on Chiara, as she starts out as a carefree, average teenage girl whose life revolves around fashion and gossip, and slowly but surely has to re-evaluate who everyone around her actually is, and what her own place is in this world. This is done through both dialogue as well as longer shots sparse with dialogue that focus on Chiara's reaction to the events in her life. To some, this may make the movie feel drawn out, and the 2 hours runtime really do feel like 2 hours to me, but it's not to the movie's detriment. as we're constantly looking over Chiara's shoulder so to speak, we are just as left in the dark about her father's criminal activities and the true nature of his involvement with the 'Ndrangheta as she herself is, and it's very effective storytelling. I wasn't entirely sold on Swamy's conveying the range of emotions of the character, but I thought it was at least a passable performance. Solid movie that merits a second viewing.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member

Heat

I have never seen this before, even though I love Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.

I avoided spoilers to this movie for about 20 years. Imagine that. I never wanted to know beforehand if Al would catch Deniro or not. But it was easy, almost no one I know did see Heat, ever. Most people don't even know that movie exist. If you talk about Al Pacino everyone knows Godfather and Scarface and with DeNiro its Godfather and Goodfellas. It was easier to avoid 20 years of spoilers for Heat than 1 week for Godzilla vs Kong

Silence (2016).

It's a great film but a tough watch.

Mighty Member

On youtube, Henry Aldrich Gets Glamor (1943). Not bad at all for that kind of film. Has Frances Gifford (Nyoka) and the debut of Gail Russell (Angel And The Bad Man) as wll as Darla Hood's "father" who couldn't get a bite to eat at his own birthday party in the Little Rascals short.

Mighty Member

I had forgotten his name, at first, but Johnny Arthur was the actor who played DDarla's famished father.

CARLITO’S WAY (1993)
    dir. Brian dePalma
    I loved how this is a deconstruction of the gangster genre, akin to Unforgiven (1992); though not as brilliant. And it’s perfectly right to get Pacino to unravel the myths (he’s always so watchable). And the chase was fantastic; I would have gone even further, had the entire final third being one long chase! But what was the point of showing me the ending at the start? I understand the power of dramatic irony, but the tension and anticipation of NOT knowing how it ends would have vastly out-weighted those benefits. And I’m surprised to read the music by Patrick Doyle was so praised at the time… I found it incredibly insistent and overbearing. Arguably the film’s biggest weakness.
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

DEATH ON THE NILE (2022)
    dir. Kenneth Branagh
    My thoughts here are pretty much the same as Murder on the Orient Express (2017); visually it’s beautiful, I like Branagh’s Poirot, I like the additions to his character backstory, I like the updating of the characters (RE: diversity) BUT… they messed with the structure and it spoiled the mystery. Agatha Christie structures her stories, her pacing, her reveals so methodically. YOU DO NOT MESS WITH THAT!!! It was done for a reason and if you take any part away, or restructure it… it falls apart as a great mystery. Which is exactly what happened here (my husband guessed who the killer was, and how they did it within minutes of it happening… that shouldn’t happen).
    ⭐️ ⭐️

DIRTY DANCING (1987)
    I liked it. It was fun. And YES the dancing was great, which is arguably a very big cheque they needed to cash with such a title. Patrick Swayze was just so super hot… Jennifer Grey was great in the lead, and I enjoyed that it actually tackled far more serious things than I had assumed. That said, An Officer and a Gentlemen (1982) covered a lot of this ground years earlier, in a much more brutal (and honest) way. Alas this film was very 80s; full of toxic masculinity and a determined woman who realises being in the peace corp speaks nothing of her character, now she’s pretty and dances. So she’s ‘better’ now, and NOW her father is proud of her. *rolls eyes*
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-21-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."