Page 156 of 208 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 3113
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom again. I know... I know... but it was on TV and I had nothing else to do at the time. I actually liked it for the most part. I know many didn't and think this franchise outstayed its welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Poltergeist

The one from the 80´s. I remember everyone talking about it in the 80´s, but never saw it till the end. Now I know what the fuss was all about, that was some scary **** with real violent stuff for its time. Some times a bit cheesy, but overall creepy. I liked it very much so, especially the practical effects with the tree and other stuff.
    Lol. I saw that when I was really young. It had just came out on VHS when we rented it. That movie wrecked me for a time. The tree scene was iconic.

Dune 2021 Brilliantly composed visually, both in scene editing and frame composition. However it suffered one of the same problems as Blade Runner 2049. A winnable engaging character. Paul Atreides is obviously a somewhat admirable figure, but he needed more spark in my view. Just two short scenes of him being more engaging was all it needed. Maybe they were lost in an edit.

I look forward to Dune II

THE BATMAN (2021)
    dir. Matt Reeves
    ⭐️ ⭐️

SPIDERMAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)
    dir. Jon Watts
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Dune 2021 Brilliantly composed visually, both in scene editing and frame composition. However it suffered one of the same problems as Blade Runner 2049. A winnable engaging character. Paul Atreides is obviously a somewhat admirable figure, but he needed more spark in my view. Just two short scenes of him being more engaging was all it needed. Maybe they were lost in an edit.

I look forward to Dune II
    I think you nailed it on the head.

DUNE (2021)
    dir. Denis Villeneuve
    Visually this film is a triumph; the creativity of Frank Herbert is astronomical (and I finally learnt where Studio Ghibli got inspired by those dragonfly fighter planes). Costumes, set pieces, make-up: all also a triumph. The directing: yet another triumph. It was 2hrs 40mins and I was not bored or felt that time upon me. And kudos to the film for delivering so much information, and painting an effective understanding of this world builder without feeling laboured. I wasn’t confused, in fact came out feeling rather informed. But… plot wise… there is very little. The last half is just an escape film; with a rather ‘meh’ confrontation that didn’t need to happen (over a character we just met). This felt like a “Part I”, not a fully rounded story (and I hate that in movies). Also… if you’re gonna have repetitive dreams leading to a Fremen wunderkind, hire someone better than Zendaya; who’s two modes of ‘acting’ seem to be ‘pretty smile, to show I’m kind’ and ‘I’m a sassy tough girl, grrrrr.’ I’m sorry people but she’s a bad actress, her body conveys NOTHING. Characterless. Thank goodness for Rebecca Ferguson leading a stellar supporting cast, though few got to do much in terms of variety. Also shout out to Charlotte Ramplings as the Reverend Mother… CAPTIVATING! Even under a veil!!! Curious to see where the story goes, but not excited. If that makes sense?
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I watched No Time To Die last night. I liked some stuff, didn't like other stuff.

Rami Malek was perhaps the worst fucking Bond villain ever. He didn't have a ton of screen time but even what time he did have was far too much.

And I don't understand the way they went for the ending. Aren't you effectively ending the franchise this way? It's the James Bond film franchise, not the 007 franchise.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

just finished watching Action Jackson on Tubi earlier tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched No Time To Die last night. I liked some stuff, didn't like other stuff.

Rami Malek was perhaps the worst fucking Bond villain ever. He didn't have a ton of screen time but even what time he did have was far too much.

And I don't understand the way they went for the ending. Aren't you effectively ending the franchise this way? It's the James Bond film franchise, not the 007 franchise.
    Malek's character seemed to lack an emotional motive after he knocked off Specter in the first half of the film. Ok he's done that. Now what? They didn't even seem sure what he was doing next.
    He has a master plain, but he's also merely selling the nanobot to buyers?

The ending so ham fisted. They were overegging the pudding as to reasons why he had to die. He's been infected. He's been shot in the gut half a dozen times. He has to stay behind to keep the blast doors open or the missiles won't work. As I type this it all seems very cheesy for a gritty version of Bond.

As you mention they've left themselves in a hell of a spot. Do they reboot again, and if they do, is Bond heading for the same ending? Do they flip back to the late nineteen fifties early sixties? Do they just act as though nothing happened with a new actor? It all seems very awkward.

I finally saw Twister. Can't say it's a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I finally saw Twister. Can't say it's a favorite.
    I was rooting for the tornado.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Lol, the tornado really was the hero, its true.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Cary Ewels was evil because he did Science for monet. WTF??
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    THE BATMAN (2021)
    dir. Matt Reeves
    ⭐️ ⭐️

SPIDERMAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)
    dir. Jon Watts
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Thought I should explain my reasons...

THE BATMAN (2022)
    dir. Matt Reeves
    At nearly three hours, this is unacceptably vague. Had this film had the same atmosphere, mood and energy (all very possible) but clocked in at 1hr 50mins I’d have no problem. In fact I might have praised it. But I did NOT sit through 3 hours for the villain’s end game to make no sense, the finale to lack any real stakes and too much be set-up for the next one. At 3 hours long I expect some damn conclusions, thank-you very much! Performance wise, Colin Farrel and Paul Dano impressed, but had limited scope for true variety. Robert Pattison will probably never be, in my eyes, a great actor. I couldn’t decide if his vague, energy-less Bruce Wayne was revolutionary or just… incompetently delivered. Either way it led to some (unintentionally) funny faces. And that hair… big mistake. Huge. Cinematography by Greig Fraser was the highlight; gorgeous!
    ⭐️ ⭐️

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)
    dir. Jon Watts
    If only it wasn’t Zendaya! I’m sorry, but she is rubbish! Standing there, saying words is not a character!!! Looking sad because you’re sad in the script is not a character! YOU HAVE NO CHARACTER! That scene two-thirds of the way through, with Oscar winner Marisa Tomei broke my heart. Both Tom Holland and Tomei were ON FIRE (emotionally, not physically, though fire was around them, ha). Compare to that end scene… with Zendaya. Painfully emotionless, uninvested, waiting for this car crash of no chemistry to end. Makes me far, FAR less excited for Dune: PART II. BUT ANYWAY… the rest of the film is fantastic. Nostalgic in the best possible way, while still being it’s own concept and mindset. And the CGI was actually good here (which is unusual for recent MCU work). Probably the best Spider-Man since Spider-Man 2 (2004).
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    ....If only it wasn’t Zendaya! I’m sorry, but she is rubbish! Standing there, saying words is not a character!!! Looking sad because you’re sad in the script is not a character! YOU HAVE NO CHARACTER! That scene two-thirds of the way through, with Oscar winner Marisa Tomei broke my heart. Both Tom Holland and Tomei were ON FIRE (emotionally, not physically, though fire was around them, ha). Compare to that end scene… with Zendaya. Painfully emotionless, uninvested, waiting for this car crash of no chemistry to end. Makes me far, FAR less excited for Dune: PART II....
    I can't speak for other roles Zendaya has played, but in those films you mentioned she does to be seem merely a piece of human shaped furniture. In someways worse than someone who hasn't been taught to act. I don't feel I'm even experiencing a real person.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

8-Bit Christmas

I enjoyed this film and would for sure re-watch it.
    The "twist" about the films real meaning was the surprise and I enjoyed that.
    A film set in the 80s about Nintendo, the ahem game changer in home video gamming, with a Goonies like cast was well done.

Grade: A-
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

The fun part of my Sunday was going to see Top Gun: Maverick with my co-worker.

It may have taken 36 years to get a sequel to the original film. But boy did they ever stick the landing! This is just a freaking awesome film. It's got everything you could possibly want in not only a sequel, but a damn good high flying action movie of the first order!

Incredible film that told you the next chapter of the story...three plus decades later and yet the nods and acknowledgements to the past were perfectly done as well.

The new cast members came off really well instead of feeling like stand-ins for those from the original movie.

This was an action-packed thrill ride that made my weekend. 'Nuff said!