Page 159 of 208 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3111
    Astonishing Member

Elvis. I loved it, Austin Butler and Tom Hanks were terrific together and the music got my head bopping at times.

And only having passing knowledge of Elvis it was an interesting watch as a biopic.

Astonishing Member

Cry Macho

Uhhh, Clint Eastwood and the thing with the woman felt forced and unreal. The Boys acting was bad and the movie was slow. The only thing that I liked was all these onliners and remarks of Clint. Hilarious. How he constantly insulted the cops, I could stop laughing.

Ghostbusters Legacy

I didnt think it would enjoy it as much as I did.

Invincible Member

SAS: Rise of the Black Swan 2021. Two stars. Standard action movie about a renegade SAS member trying to a group of mercenaries, it's "Die Hard" in the Channel Tunnel. Ruby Rose has a certain amount of charm as the main bad guy but she's not really great actor.

The Living Daylights

One of my favorite Bond films. Timothy Dalton brought a kind of sarcasm that was fun. Not a modern Bond, by any means, but the action is pretty good and the plot is decent.

For Your Eyes Only

Another favorite one from the Moore era. Still holds up pretty well but definitely would be hard to connect with for a more modern audience, with its emphasis on the Cold War and its tech.

Sean of the Dead

Introduced this movie to a couple of friends who hadn't seen it before. I don't think this movie has aged well. Its easy to accidentally undersell its influence.

Hair

For me, the first time watching this all the way through. I knew a lot of the songs and scenes already. The movie was deeper and more complex in its social commentary than I thought it would be. Its not a product of its time, exactly, because the movie was made about 10 years after the time in which it was set. Its way different from the musical, too, from what I understand, because it basically added a coherent plot. The musical is just kind of a celebration of hippies. Anyway, the film pokes through a lot of the fabric of political and social mainstream consciousness and asks uncomfortable questions, which I appreciated.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-21-2022 at 11:03 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

"Last night in Soho" and "At the World's End".

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Venom: Let There Be Carnage -- Grade: B

When I saw the runtime at just under an hour/40 minutes I was puzzled.
    However, they went for a very basic story about revenge to set up the character and his girlfriend Shriek.
    Basically I liked it, maybe even more than the first one.
    Did Venom bite Eddie's head off? That was my takeaway, I know he devoured the Carnage symbiote back into himself.
    Should we expect Mulligan to be Toxin and a full blown Shriek in a Venom 3 film?
    Due to the proper MCU exposure should we see Venom with a spider embellished upon they symbiote as well?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Watching the Gray Man. I remember when Directors knew how to film action and fight scenes. Now all we seem to get is shaky cam and dimly lit night fights...smh...

Okay the 2nd half is def better than the first. Got some scenes reminiscent of HEAT in here. Whooo!

Eh, really only one good action set here. Most of this is shaky cam and shadows.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-23-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I finally saw "Shang Chi' and I really could not enjoy it with Awkawfina perhaps playing the most annoying character in cinema history next to Jar Jar. More like Awkwardfina. There was way too much humor. It's too bad really as I was looking forward to it.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-22-2022 at 11:31 PM.

I saw The Gray Man today. It's based on a series of books by author Marc Greaney. While it stars Ryan Gosling in the main role, the movie's pre-release hype seemed to center around the trash 'stache sported by Chris Evans. And gawd was that mustache awful.

But the movie was pretty good. Highly centered around a bevy of action sequences with only brief respites to work in the plotline, the back and forth John Wick style of rampaging across Asia and Europe in perhaps the WORST example of "covert ops" ever, Gosling is decent as The Gray Man. Evans seems to be having a zany ball as the sociopathic anti-Captain America villain with no impulse control. It's not going to be seen as the greatest movie of all time, but it was a fun way to set up a potential franchise and pass a couple of hours with a huge body count.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

RRR on Netflix, great fun. Fictionalized epic of a part of Indian history I was unaware of (not the brutal British rule, but the characters involved). In Hindi with subtitles. You will either go along for the ride or give up after 15 minutes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Legend Of Billie Jean
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The first Terminator movie, who happens to be the only movie from that franchise that i enjoy to re-watch.

I actually tried recently, the whole 6 of them. And man, 2 aged pretty badly, 3 lost me during that stupid never ending chase scene and i just don't find 4, 5 and especially 6 to be good movies at all.

So, yeah, good ol' Terminator, with that funny fake Arnold head. Made me wonder how it was back then. I mean, i was there but i can't remember if that special effect ever worked for me or for the people around me.

Guess it did.

Spectacular Member

Nope. I'm not a huge Jordan Peele fan and I find his movies overhyped; however, this was enjoyable and had a few edge of the seat moments. I enjoy Keke Palmer, but I'm going to take the unpopular opinion that this wasn't her best performance. I felt the character needed a little more fleshing out. Brandon Perea as Angel Torres was an unexpected pleasure.

Two weeks ago: Las Consecuencias, Spanish movie about a widowed mother who goes on a short holiday with her father and teenage daughter, soon has to deal with the dark, unspoken secrets of the family's past. Wonderfully acted by all parties in this dark and brooding film, and the actress who plays the daughter lays down an impressive debut performance.

Last week: The Real Charlie Chaplin, documentary about the life and work of the slapstick superstar. It works well as an introduction for those unfamiliar with Chaplin.

Just now: Un autre monde, about a factory manager who clashes with the board of directors of the company over having to fire 58 employees due to cutbacks. In the meantime he is also dealing with a divorce, and his teenage son being admitted into a psychiatric clinic. Well-acted almost claustrophobic movie that really shows the slow but sure breakdown of the main character.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Invincible Member

21 Bridges 2019. Starring Chadwick Boseman, Sienna Miller, and JK Simmons. Two and half stars. Works as crime thriller and has a great chase scene 2/3 the way in. It's marred by some hokey dialogue that the cast was mostly able to overcome through solid acting.