Page 16 of 208 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

The Meg! Lol dumb action film. I thought the smell of a dying shark scares other sharks off not attracts them. Oh well

Upgrade. It was pretty great.

Saw another couple movies.

The Favourite - Really surprising. I usually hate these types of movies, but one of the best scripts for a movie I've seen all year and the performances really made this one shine.
    Green Book - It was solidly okay. Really watchable, for lack of a better word, but probably the weakest out of all the race relation movies I've seen this year, as it seemed to be the one that was least interested in making bold statements.
    Bad Times at the El Royale - I LOVED this movie. Felt very Tarantino-esque, but it stood on its own. Great performances, great direction, great writing. Should have gotten more buzz than it has.
    First Man - I skipped out on this one due to a lot of criticisms it was receiving, but after watching it, I don't understand them. A lot of people were talking about how boring it was, but I was enthralled through the entire thing. I understood what Chazelle was going for and while, he may not have been 100% successful, the movie did work for me. Plus the movie was a real joy to look it. All three of his films have looked good, but this was different.

I saw Edie.

I'm planning on seeing Wildlife tomorrow, with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Trailer for Mary, Queen of Scots looked pretty good. Wonder how Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie will fare as Mary Stuart and Queen Elizabeth I respectively.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I saw Edie.

I'm planning on seeing Wildlife tomorrow, with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Trailer for Mary, Queen of Scots looked pretty good. Wonder how Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie will fare as Mary Stuart and Queen Elizabeth I respectively.
    Please write your thoughts about Wildlife and MQOS when you got time

Astonishing Member

Mortal Engines. Will have to haul sci-fi post-apocalyptic loving posterior to watch it again while I still can in theaters, just like horror me sadly had to do it with Overlord.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Please write your thoughts about Wildlife and MQOS when you got time
    I might keep it brief if I do. These days, I prefer to read the analyses and impressions of people who are more well-versed in film than I am.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I might keep it brief if I do. These days, I prefer to read the analyses and impressions of people who are more well-versed in film than I am.
    No worries I just love Gyllenhaal (and Mysterio, yay) and historic fashion dramas

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    No worries I just love Gyllenhaal (and Mysterio, yay) and historic fashion dramas
    I saw Wildlife earlier today, and quite recommend it. Though I should say Gyllenhaal is more of a supporting actor in this, as the brunt of the movie focuses on Carey Mulligan and Ed Oxenbould's characters, as the mother and son who are coping with Gyllenhaal's absence as he is off fighting forest fires. It's a pretty strong family drama.

Mary Poppins Returns. One of the best and most true to the original sequels ever done. Seeing it with a child and seeing the magic still there helped too.

Watched Returns with an 8 year old and then the original and there was no distinction for her, no difference in reaction, no concern that there were five decades of differences in special effects, just two magical movies in so many ways.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Incredible Member

Watched Escape Room tonight. While it wasnt surprising, it was a fun film.

Retired

The other week I finally got around to watching ENCHANTED (2007), which I somehow never saw back in the day, and I enjoyed the heck out of it, but one thing really is bothering me. Idena Menzel plays a part in the movie, yet she never sings! I just can't figure this out. Why would they cast her in the movie and not have her sing? Or I wonder if she had filmed a scene or two where she sings but it got cut out of the movie. If anyone has any info on this, let me know.

Astonishing Member

The Foreigner

Pierce Brosnan and Jackie Chan in a political thriller. Damn fine acting from Jackie Chan, didnt know he was that good. Its like seeing Jim Carrey in a serious role the first time and notice how damn good he is...

Retired

So I watched THE FAVOURITE and last month I watched THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (as I posted on here back then) and I have to give Yorgos Lanthimos 10 out of 10 for making exactly the movie he wants to make--in terms of craft, I can't fault him there. Cinematically, THE FAVOURITE is like a cross between a Peter Greenaway movie and a Josef von Sternberg movie. However, on terms of what his movies have to say, I would give a zero.

I just don't agree with him. He seems to hate people. There is not one redeemable character in his movies. Everyone is bad and maybe even deserves the horrible fate they get. And I'm not sure what his goal is in delivering this message. There is a passing reference to Jonathan Swift in THE FAVOURITE and Swift was a well-known misanthrope, yet his writing is so sparkling and witty that he comes off as a wide-eyed optimist compared with Lanthimos.

I don't know if these two movies are representative of Lanthimos' other movies--but I'm rather scared to check out THE LOBSTER or DOGTOOTH, for fear of going further down the same wretched path.