Page 170 of 208 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 3110
    Invincible Member

Memories 1995 executive producer Katsuhiro Otomo director of Akira anthology anime of three excellent shorts. Three and half stars.

Extraordinary Member

M3gan what a hoot! HaHa

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Top Gun: Maverick

Grade: A+

Yeah, late comer on this. Wish I could've seen it in the theater and having seen it I regret not being able to that much more. I know many others posted on the film and I have nothing to add.
    Only to echo any praise you saw mentioned for the film is well deserved. I was prepared to be let down thinking I might've set the bar too high after reading all the praise.
    I was not.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Invincible Member

Blow Up 1966 directed by Michelangelo Antonioni. This one is tough...on the one hand, I see why this is a historically important film, but on the other hand...I'm not sure I'm in any hurry to rewatch it soon ( other than that Yardbirds scene).

It's a fun action flick.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-27-2023 at 08:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The newest A Star Is Born on TV because I didn't have anything else to do. I'm not a big Gaga fan but I think she did good. I don't understand the criticism.

The menu. Social commentary? Satire? Dark comedy? Maybe all three?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Amazing Member

Skinamarink

Hated it. Granted watching it in a theater did not help at all. Apparently you are supposed to immerse yourself in the viewing but people were eating kinda loudly and some were talking. It got worse once everyone was bored about 30 minutes into it, the talking got a bit louder, dude behind me fell asleep and was snoring. But to be fair I was basically mentally checked out too by the time that happen. I don't know maybe I just was not the target audience. I like staying up late and watching horror movies in the dark, so I did not personally found the experience of just staring at a dark hallway or corner scary.

I could deal with/accept the grainy look and even the constant sort of popping and crackling sound by themselves. But the sound in general was cranked way high and it was kinda annoying at times especially the like three or four times they did jump scares (and they were just like the jump scares you would get in chain emails back in the day). Staring at nothing for 3-4 minutes at a time had me wishing I had gone to a cheaper theater to watch it cause I would have walked out about 50 minutes into the movie. At that point there was nothing the movie could have done to get me back on board

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    M3gan what a hoot! HaHa
    M'THREE'GAN aside, I always think the title of this movie should be pronounced as Mee-Gan. I'm not sure why--that just seems right to me. Haven't seen the movie, but I gather they don't use that pronunciation. Mee Gan just seems more clever, since it's ME--I am me! For an artificial intelligence it's the better pun.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    M'THREE'GAN aside, I always think the title of this movie should be pronounced as Mee-Gan. I'm not sure why--that just seems right to me. Haven't seen the movie, but I gather they don't use that pronunciation. Mee Gan just seems more clever, since it's ME--I am me! For an artificial intelligence it's the better pun.
    Funny I was watching the Fwoosh and he was talking about the Excalibur 3-pack. And he kept pronouncing Megan's name like that-Mee-Gan. I thought it was so damn annoying lol. But in the movie her name was short for Model 3 generative android. Pretty crazy

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

Unrelenting.

How 20 years later, anyone signed up for WWII is beyond me, after going through WWI.

I understand how it got nominated for Best Picture, as well as Best Foreign Film.

Also was pleasantly surprised to see Daniel Bruhl in a small role.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

'Close', Belgian film by Lucas Dhont. The first act tells the story of 2 young boys Léo and Rémi, close friends, who start their first year of secondary school. At the end of the first act however, Rémi tragically passes away and the story now revolves around Léo's mourning process, as well as that of the other people involved. This was a gorgeous film that's hard to do justice with words. The performance by the young actors for the two boys, Eden Dambrine as Léo and Gustav De Waele as Rémi, is superb. It's probably the most emotionally impactful movie I've seen so far this year. Great direction and cinematography as well, there's many long, dialogue-sparse scenes that just show the characters in their daily activities either getting on with their lives or passing time; the emotions conveyed by Dambrine and De Waele are really strong. It makes a seemingly mundane setting like the Flemish/Wallonian border countryside look epic. At a loss for words on this one.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Or maybe go with I-Leen as a play on IPhone.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I bought the 4K Stanley Kubrick 3-pack, so back to back to back I watched The Shinning, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Full Metal Jacket.

All three looked great, but for me The Shinning looked the best in 4k.

Full Metal Jacket was a lot more fun then I remembered (I hadn't seen it in over 20 years).

And for the first time ever, I watched 2001 and actually enjoyed it. Maybe my tastes are maturing the older I get.

Invincible Member

Passion (2012) directed by Brian DePalma starring Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace. I don't think it was released theatrically in the states, but I really enjoyed it. Great thriller with McAdams as a manipulative boss and Noomi as her shy employee. Plenty of double crosses, mind games and drama. The climax is particularly "DePalma-ish" but that's what I was there for.