Page 172 of 204 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 3047
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Wakanda Forever.

I am biased, but I loved this movie. I saw it like ten times in the theater, and have watched it a few times since it started streaming. Best MCU movie of the year, for sure. The acting is top notch -- I couldn't take my eyes off most of the actors. Tenoch Huerta, Mabel Cadena, and Alex Livillani were amazing as the new Atlanteans / Talokanil. Angela Bassett is justly being honored for her powerful performance. Winston Duke's M'Baku shines every time he appears with a wide emotional range. Okoye is great, but I feel like her arc ended up on the cutting room floor. Lupita is gorgeous, competently deadly, and so empathetic. Martin Freeman is entertaining in what little he gets to do. Score and production design are getting robbed this awards season, because they are beyond amazing, and have so many cultural details. Costumes are striking and thankfully also being recognized.

Watching the first Black Panther before this movie, you definitely see similarities and some repetition, but considering the circumstance, Coogler and Cole having to rewrite the script, it's hard to complain. As others have pointed out, there are some ... logical fails, but it's a superhero movie, so I roll with it. It was such a long movie, stuff that I'd have LOVE to seen, that might have filled in some plotlines, was cut. While I agree that Leticia Wright doesn't have the gravitas of Chadwick, she's not supposed to. Her role is take us through the steps of grief, in the midst of crisis, and to find a way to let go, and accept taking on the duties of her brother in her own way.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ultimate Member

Bride With The White Hair 1993. Fun supernatural martial arts film. Three stars.

James Bond: Skyfall (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Wakanda Forever- An emotionally draining experience. Def should have recast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched Black Panther: Wakanda Forever for the first time last night. I can't quite put my finger on WHY, but I came away a little underwhelmed with the movie as a whole. I mean the movie is good enough but it didn't really strike me as doing much to rise above just being another cog in the MCU slate of films.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I just finished , very lackluster. I was bored at times, which never happens for me at a Marvel movie. There were also instances that seemed illogical. C+
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wakanda Forever.
    I am biased, but I loved this movie. I saw it like ten times in the theater, and have watched it a few times since it started streaming. Best MCU movie of the year, for sure. The acting is top notch -- I couldn't take my eyes off most of the actors. Tenoch Huerta, Mabel Cadena, and Alex Livillani were amazing as the new Atlanteans / Talokanil. Angela Bassett is justly being honored for her powerful performance. Winston Duke's M'Baku shines every time he appears with a wide emotional range. Okoye is great, but I feel like her arc ended up on the cutting room floor. Lupita is gorgeous, competently deadly, and so empathetic. Martin Freeman is entertaining in what little he gets to do. Score and production design are getting robbed this awards season, because they are beyond amazing, and have so many cultural details. Costumes are striking and thankfully also being recognized.

Watching the first Black Panther before this movie, you definitely see similarities and some repetition, but considering the circumstance, Coogler and Cole having to rewrite the script, it's hard to complain. As others have pointed out, there are some ... logical fails, but it's a superhero movie, so I roll with it. It was such a long movie, stuff that I'd have LOVE to seen, that might have filled in some plotlines, was cut. While I agree that Leticia Wright doesn't have the gravitas of Chadwick, she's not supposed to. Her role is take us through the steps of grief, in the midst of crisis, and to find a way to let go, and accept taking on the duties of her brother in her own way.
    Thought I'd chuck mine in here, as I recently watched it too.

BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER (2022)
    dir. Ryan Coogler

I was so excited to see this, and for the most part it delivered. But it had in its court, for want of a better morbid analysis, extra emotional impact to play with as Chadwick Boseman actually died before filming… and I just never felt truly moved. I think it was a mistake putting the emotional weight on Letitia Wright’s shoulder. She’s not a bad actress, let me be clear, but that heartbreaking reality is so complex. I remember the episode of the West Wing where the cast had to ‘reveal’ Leo McGarry died (because the actor John Spencer, who played Leo had himself passed away), and it was so brutal. Allison Janney broke me. And this just… didn’t. Angela Bassett was a powerhouse and deserved that Oscar nomination (the first for the MCU), though I don’t think it’s a winning performance, personally. I wish we’d been let into how she felt, truly felt about T’Challa’s death, instead of reserving that primarily for Shuri. The set-up, the moving of chess pieces between Wakanda and Talokan (Atlanteans in the comics) was excellent. The first half was super exciting, but the showdown and resulting conclusion didn’t deliver. So much wasted potential. Ryan Coogler captures many things wonderfully, but his directing of action set-pieces is very tepid. It’s glorious being back in Wakanda but I wanted more, and they had all the ingredients to make something truly special… instead of something… good. Two final thoughts: huge praise to the designers, who smashed it out the park. Visually this is A FEAST! And a big shout out to Danai Gurira, who has made Okoye one of the most interesting, engaging and surprising characters to come out of the MCU.
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-10-2023 at 08:08 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Amsterdam, a very good movie with outstanding performances. Maybe it just wasn't what the audience expected.
    I really liked it too. I thought Christian Bale, especially, was wonderful. It's very... the phrase "this is NOT how I'd make a movie" (BUT IN A GOOD WAY) springs to mind. It was very unique in its formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Wild Strawberries 1957 directed by Ingmar Bergman. I was afraid I might get bored by it, but ultimately I was moved. I understand why it's considered one of the great movies of it's time.
    I still need to see this; ahhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
    Unrelenting.
    How 20 years later, anyone signed up for WWII is beyond me, after going through WWI.
    I understand how it got nominated for Best Picture, as well as Best Foreign Film.
    Also was pleasantly surprised to see Daniel Bruhl in a small role.
    Wonderful, isn't it! LOVED! Oh, have you seen the original?

My review for it is here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6369453
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-10-2023 at 08:16 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

All Quiet on the Western Front—Netflix
    7-10

It’s a lot of back and forth and got confusing for me at times because I wasn’t 100% vested in it.
    It was a great story and a pretty good adaptation. And as much as I love some gritty war movies, I hate how the leaders **** on all the troops and treated them as fodder. A means to an end. As a former enlisted Army soldier, it just really pisses me off...Give those Fuc*#rs a weapon and tell them to do it and see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    And as much as I love some gritty war movies, I hate how the leaders **** on all the troops and treated them as fodder. A means to an end. As a former enlisted Army soldier, it just really pisses me off...Give those Fuc*#rs a weapon and tell them to do it and see how they do.
    Agreed, but... that's the point of the film. Especially WWI, so many troops were unnecessarily sent to their death. Much of the news critique of the time had art depicting that very issue. Also, thank-you for your service. xx

Astonishing Member

Knock at the Cabin. It's a little rough around the edges and I didn't like it as much as Shyamalan's Old but I still liked it (and more than Glass for sure) and Dave Bautista was pretty cool in it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Knock at the Cabin. It's a little rough around the edges and I didn't like it as much as Shyamalan's Old but I still liked it (and more than Glass for sure) and Dave Bautista was pretty cool in it.
    Batista is really good in everything he is in. The Rock has to eat that, he is only second or third place in the Wrestler turns actor game.

I have seen The Menue. I liked it.

Astonishing Member

Ant Man and the Wasp Quantumania

Decent action adventure with a Star Wars vibe.

Ultimate Member

Rollerball 1975 directed by Norman Jewison and starring James Caan. Sci-Fi film in which corporations have taken over everything and war has been replaced by violent sports games. I saw this on network TV when I was younger, but I'd forgotten most of it. I thought it was ok, but it could have done a better job with the satire and socio-political points it was trying to make. Two and half stars.

It kinda made me think I should rewatch Death Race 2000...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Rollerball 1975 directed by Norman Jewison and starring James Caan. Sci-Fi film in which corporations have taken over everything and war has been replaced by violent sports games. I saw this on network TV when I was younger, but I'd forgotten most of it. I thought it was ok, but it could have done a better job with the satire and socio-political points it was trying to make. Two and half stars.

It kinda made me think I should rewatch Death Race 2000...
    I am partial to Running Man myself...

Astonishing Member

The Black Phone

I don't know where the praise comes from, I found it very mediocre.

Birdman---9 out of 10. I really don't know where to begin because is it real life or is it memorex?
    It seems someone wrote a movie specifically for the actors/actresses they cast. So spot on for Michael Keaton. ALWAYS will be remembered for Batman even though his little know roles are so much more than just Bruce Wayne or Batman. This movie showed that when it allowed his persona to fly into the stratosphere.
    Edward Norton. Brilliant in this also as the character in the movie seemed to BE HIM.
    Little things throughout the movie that kept it flowing etc. The one continuous shot is a thing of beauty.
    The movie does leave you scratching your head but looking back it all makes sense IF you look at it as Michael Keaton's(or insert anyone that is typecast in a role) story.
    Just a beautiful movie...

Ultimate Member

Aguirre: The Wrath of God 1972 directed by Werner Herzog. I had a hard time connecting to the film as a whole, but Klaus Kinski gave a masterful performance.