Page 182 of 208 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 3111
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Emily The Criminal (2022) written and directed by John Patton Ford and starring Aubrey Plaza. I really enjoyed it. It's drama with dark humor about a young woman with overwhelming student debt and a felony record who finds herself getting involved in a fraud ring. She seems to be right on the line of having more legit opportunities and falling deeper into the underworld. Tight script and well acted by all involved.
    I love Aubrey Plaza. Will add this to my TBW list.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Surrounded-Actually a pretty decent Western.

Who cloned Tyrone- I really wanted to like this. But how did this dimly lit can barely see **** stuff become an aesthetic? Like really can't get into it.
    Saw the trailer for Tyrone and put it my TBW list, but now it may move a bit down the list. My eye strain really doesn't need dim scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Kingdom, great Japanese movie about China history. On to part 2. Netflix.
    Good to know, as that's next on my list.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Went on a Korean movie binge, mostly on Tubi. Had no idea that Tubi does the start the next episode / movie automatically. Or that the Korean movies were so racy.

Warriors of the Dawn
    A Frozen Flower
    The Concubine
    The Servant
    Homme Fatale
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ruby something Teenage Kraken---It was a cute kids movie. My GF's 8 year old watched it 3 times over the weekend. I liked it one time...

A fun sci-fi dystopia with allusions to the little mermaid. It felt undercooked but I had a good time.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-25-2023 at 07:14 AM.

Not sure how I forgot this ... but I actually watched a non-Asian movie recently, NIMONA on Netflix. A nicely animated movie with engaging characters, twisting the monster and heroes around.

Kingdom II, a worthy sequel with an amazing battle for most of it.

Found out these are based on a popular Manga and Anime.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Kingdom II, a worthy sequel with an amazing battle for most of it.

Found out these are based on a popular Manga and Anime.
    The third movie is coming out this week to Japanese theaters, I believe. I hope Netflix gets it soon.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Not sure how I forgot this ... but I actually watched a non-Asian movie recently, NIMONA on Netflix. A nicely animated movie with engaging characters, twisting the monster and heroes around.
    NIMONA (2023)
    dir. Nick Bruno & Tony Quane

This is such a confusing film; I don’t really understand who production intended the primary audience to be??? On the one hand it has some very graphic events, it tackles complex issues like defunding the police and trans identity, the ultimate message while uplifting is also brutal and one of the gay leads is called GOLDENLOIN!!! And on the other hand… the dialogue and depth of character seems squarely aimed at children. Not very smart children, at that. And it’s a pity, because I loved the concept; it’s creative and original, with some genuinely good surprises. It’s so nice to have a gay lead (ESP. when his story isn’t about ‘the struggles’ of being gay) in an animated film and the visuals were very creative (and having checked out some of the comic art, a lot of the design can be attributed to the film). But Nimona herself was incredibly annoying and sanctimonious. The film assumed: to make Nimona kewwwwwl she needs to effortlessly win every fight while going ‘woahhhhh, rad, METAL!!! Catch ya later barf balls!” And all that does is rob the knights of any competency (dampening the larger danger later on, that the movie wanted you to feel, but had themselves destroyed). And I’m not massively comfortable in the idea of a film repeatedly lecturing the gay protagonist about the importance of labels. Which again comes down to: who is this film aimed at??? If your primary intended hardcore fans are supposed to be LGBT+ people, I’m not sure imply gay men need educating more than anyone else is a good strategy. Ultimately this film needed a script doctor to fix the terrible dialogue, the character beats and add much needed depth to fascinating characters crying out for subtlety and getting… none. And while initially I loved that we didn’t spend the first third watching him (paint-by-number) train through the academy… in retrospect it would have a) made us care about their relationship and it’s collapse far more b) reminded us he’s a very competent fighter, since the film repeatedly forgets he’s a trained knight and not a damsel in distress c) given the film more to do. This plot is THREAD BARE!
    ★★☆☆☆
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Finally saw Avatar:Way of Water on Disney+ as a part of my subscription. I enjoyed it but am glad I didn't bother to go see it in the theatre and also think this will be the last of the Avatar franchise I will go out of my way to watch.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Finally saw Avatar:Way of Water on Disney+ as a part of my subscription. I enjoyed it but am glad I didn't bother to go see it in the theatre and also think this will be the last of the Avatar franchise I will go out of my way to watch.
    I saw it in 3D in the theater, and watched at home. The film is completely diminished on the home screen., It's like seeing a YouTube of a roller coaster ride.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Paths of Glory (1957) directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Kirk Douglas. WWI era drama where a pompous general orders his men to undertake an impossible mission. When the mission fails as everyone knew it would, he orders men to be shot for cowardice. Douglas is the colonel who has to defend the men. Interesting tale about bravery, cowardice, and hypocrisy during wartime. At first, I wasn't if Douglas was supposed to be a Frenchman or and American fighting with the French, but as I got caught up in the story, ti mattered less and less to me.

Finally saw The Little Mermaid in theaters. Was a fun bit Disney. Loved all the underwater scenes. Melissa McCarthy obviously had a great time chewing the scenery as Ursla.

Yeh Jawani Hai deewani (2013)

Fun romantic comedy
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-06-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Invincible Member

Over The Edge (1979) directed by Jonathan Kaplan, starring Michael Kramer and featuring early appearances by Matt Dillon and Vincent Spano. A teen drama about kids in a middle class planned community who turn to delinquency due to seemingly parental apathy and neglect. I mostly bought into the portrayals of the troubled youth, the fact that they're played by actual teenagers helped despite their inexperience. One drawback, the end it a little too over the top...spoilers:
    The kids vandalize the parking lot where the parents are having some sort of PTA meeting. Instead of just being able to smash windows of cars, somehow the kids are able get them to explode! A cop car crashes into the front door of the rec center and inexplicably the whole thing goes up in a giant fireball!
    end of spoilers

Soundtrack is dominated by Cheap Trick and Cars songs. Points for getting a Ramones song on there.
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-03-2023 at 12:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Beat Wars def one of my fav Transformers movies. Maybe tied with Age of Extinction for my fav. Can't beat Grimlock in a movie. Probably the best human chars and the soundtrack can't be beat. Shout out to that real Hip Hop LL Cool J-Mama said knock you out! Might still try to check this out in theaters.