Page 21 of 208 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    Retired

I didn't really like TRAINING DAY, because it has a message that seems dangerous if you generalize too much to groups of people. But I liked the acting and it has an attractive story structure. It works according Aristotle's requirements of drama, in having unity of action, time and place--with everything happening in a singe day within the world of these two characters. And I like those stories where you start on the outside and move steadily inward--discovering things with the main character (Ethan Hawke). In that way it's a lot like HEART OF DARKNESS.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    True villian no. He was the bad guy for a minute of screen time and narration in Fallen. He was the bad guy for part of Safe House till you learn the truth so again no. Yea Training day is how only true villian role and even then the strength if the character is how charming he still was. Really wish those casting rumor of him as Lex Luthor in BvS woulda been true. Coulda been a different movie, or maybe the same movie and its for the best Denzel wasnt involved
    Have you seen Equalizer 2? I really like the 1st one (kinda Denzel's take on the Punisher) and now I wonder if the sequel holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Have you seen Equalizer 2? I really like the 1st one (kinda Denzel's take on the Punisher) and now I wonder if the sequel holds up.
    Sequel is good but umm a little boring at parts. It was too long I think, shoulda trimmed some fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I didn't really like TRAINING DAY, because it has a message that seems dangerous if you generalize too much to groups of people. But I liked the acting and it has an attractive story structure. It works according Aristotle's requirements of drama, in having unity of action, time and place--with everything happening in a singe day within the world of these two characters. And I like those stories where you start on the outside and move steadily inward--discovering things with the main character (Ethan Hawke). In that way it's a lot like HEART OF DARKNESS.
    Which message are you talking about? Off the top of my head living by.The idea the ends justifying the means was the theme of the movie. Are you talking about like depictions of certain gangs and races? Cause I grew up 45mins south of L.A that movie is pretty authentic in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Its defiently not Denzels best dramatic performance but I feel like it's his more charismatic and definetly his most quotable. Much like Tony Saprano he plays a bad guy but through pure charisma you find them likable. Corrupt cops are usually unlikable characters. Also Lonzos a control freak and a criminal but whatever bad hes doing they make it clear that his presence made the street safer. The TV show even explored it further and showed LA turned into a war zone after he died. And I kinda liked the conflict between Hoty and Lonzo. Between doing what's right and doing what's nessecary. Daredevil season 2 explore it with Frank and Matt

As a whole I dont think the movie is best thing ever but Denzel performance imo was great and award worthy. Like I feel like he deserved it and it wasn't just a pity win because they screwed him on Malcom X.
    Fair enough. Part of it is that I had trouble liking Alonso. Practically every alleged nice thing he did was a lie and all the alleged good he was doing to make the street safer was really just a matter of him being yet another crimelord. I had hopes that he would actually have a heroic element somewhere within his soul and it would come out at some point, but he didn't. So I felt his character, while well played and charismatic, lacked the depth I was hoping would be there. Didn't know about the TV show.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Fair enough. Part of it is that I had trouble liking Alonso. Practically every alleged nice thing he did was a lie and all the alleged good he was doing to make the street safer was really just a matter of him being yet another crimelord. I had hopes that he would actually have a heroic element somewhere within his soul and it would come out at some point, but he didn't. So I felt his character, while well played and charismatic, lacked the depth I was hoping would be there. Didn't know about the TV show.
    Well I think the idea was he was an honest cop once but he became jaded and realized he could effect more change living by the ends justify the means. The problem is living like that is gonna take a toll on you and he became a monster.

Yea it was actually kinda good but Bill Paxton passed. who was like Lonzo except with some heroic heart still in him. So basically he was an uncorrupted Lonzo. But yea LA is a war zone and they spell it out Lonzo was a POS but he kept the city in line.

Invincible Member

Solo Two and half stars out of five

Children of Men three stars

District 9 eh...three stars

Capharnaüm, by Lebanese director Nadine Labaki, tells the story of 12 year old Zain, who lives in a slum in Beirut with his parents and many brothers and sisters. He is especially close to his sister Sahar, who one day is married off to a man in his twenties. Enraged at his parents, Zain runs from home and is eventually taken in by a young Ethiopian woman named Rahil, who is residing in Beirut illegally under false identities with her infant son Yohan. One day, Rahil doesn't return from a trip to the man who forges her ID papers, and Zain and Yohan are left to fend for themselves.

This was a really nice surprise; I wasn't expecting it to be quite this good, judging from the trailer and synopsis. The cast consists mostly of amateur actors, and the teenaged lead Zain Al Rafeea truly shines as his namesake. Unlike other protagonists in similar stories, he's no cuddly kid; he's defiant and foul-mouthed, and ultimately resourceful in making his way through the harsh world he was born into.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I think Evolution suffered from the ending. It looked like it was heading for something with a race more advanced than man, they could have done some really cool things with the interactions, do they become benign or hostile? Do they leave mankind alone and leave or stay and help or dominate them, and so on. Instead we got a silly giant amoeba.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Just saw The Kid Who Would be King. Now, this is a movie I've been cheerleading for months. Ever since I saw the first trailer on YouTube. I kept saying that it looked like a lot of fun. And y'know, it was a lot of fun. It's unabashedly a kids' movie working from a very kids' storybook version of the Arthur legend. However, that's really one of its charms. Instead of aiming for some kind of edgy reinvention, it focuses in on the fantasy elements and chivalrous values that have become associated with the legend. As someone who was introduced to the Arthur stories as a kid, that basically means it was focusing on the things that made me love the story in the first place. I'm not a huge expert on acting but I thought the actors, including the child actors, did very well. Louis Serkis (son of Andy Serkis) managed very well as the lead Alexander Elliot. The biggest standout is probably Angus Imrie, playing the role of Merlin in the form of a gawky teenage boy.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun. Go see it and take your kids if you have any.

(Damn, it was about time we got a fun King Arthur movie again).

The Accountant
    WOW! This was a really cool film! Loved the story, loved the action, and Affleck did a great job with his character.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The Accountant
    WOW! This was a really cool film! Loved the story, loved the action, and Affleck did a great job with his character.
    That one flew under the radar, but yeah, really enjoyable.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The Accountant
    I saw it when it came out in the theaters and loved it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Antman and The Wasp. Thought it was loads of fun. Loved the after credits scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think Evolution suffered from the ending. It looked like it was heading for something with a race more advanced than man, they could have done some really cool things with the interactions, do they become benign or hostile? Do they leave mankind alone and leave or stay and help or dominate them, and so on. Instead we got a silly giant amoeba.
    That ending is part of its charm to me. As a movie with the runtime appointed it did not have that much time to delve there with what they gave, I think the potential plot you described deserves to be explored in something like a SyFy or a Netflix series.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage