Page 27 of 208 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Tried to watch LINCOLN... stopped about half an hour in. I am too dumb for this kind of movie...it bores the hell outta me.

16 Candles. Never saw it, but with the duboius reputation some scenes have now, I was curious.

Definitely one of John Hughes's worse movies as a director compared to Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. And yeah, some aspects of the movie would not be acceptable today.

I need to double check, but I also think the two leads have no screen time together up until the very end. Makes the whole romance a little noncredible.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Tried to watch LINCOLN... stopped about half an hour in. I am too dumb for this kind of movie...it bores the hell outta me.
    At least you are self aware.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    At least you are self aware.
    At least that...there is still hope.

Its not that i dont get whats going on, but i loose interest and start daydreaming when i watch a movie like that.

Retired

I saw SIXTEEN CANDLES around the time that it came out and it bugs me when people say that some things wouldn't be acceptable now. Things in that movie weren't acceptable at the time! I love John Hughes movies with Molly Ringwald, but I certainly had to look past those bad things--especially the treatment of the Asian character--to find the actual good in the movie.

It's also bothersome because offensive treatment of characters for their ethnicity has always been offensive. It's not something new. And good-minded people have been pointing that out for generations. But it still goes on in a lot of movies--it's not like Hollywood has suddenly come to its senses. I watched all three of those PITCH PERFECT movies and there's culturally insensitive stuff in each of them, but most especially in the first movie.

The DOCTOR WHO serial "The Talons of Weng Chiang"--which is otherwise a great story made in 1977--has terrible slurs of Asian characters, so much so that TV Ontario refused to broadcast the serial back in the day.

This idea that people were morally and culturally stupid in the past and now we're all so much better is just wrong. For some reason the people who live inside the entertainment bubble don't see the obvious offense in their work. That's the only explanation I can find for these monstrous attacks on Asians in movies and television. Somehow they think it's all good fun and nobody is going to mind it. And I don't think even when there are protests and hashtag responses to these things that the entertainment folks really understand what is so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched Instant Family last night.
    One of my favorite movies of last year

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    One of my favorite movies of last year
    It was one of mine as well.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

It was one of mine as well.
    Bummed out if didnt get any recognition. If u had a vote for best movie I'd vote for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Bummed out if didnt get any recognition. If u had a vote for best movie I'd vote for this.
    I don't know that I'd go that far for me. I loved it, saw it in the theater and bought it on DVD but I don't think it was ever going to be award season material.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I don't know that I'd go that far for me. I loved it, saw it in the theater and bought it on DVD but I don't think it was ever going to be award season material.
    It's a comedy starring Mark Whalberg so probaly not but I'd put it above any of the nominated movies I did see which included Green Book

Yesterday I saw "Wild" with Reese Witherspoon. Both she and Laura Dern gave fantastic performances. Cinematography and editing were also great. I really enjoyed how there were small fragments of "El Condor Pasa" in the beginning that stretched out the longer the movie went and you learn more about the protagonist's back story.

Having said that, she is not a person to easily root for. After having ruined her life, she goes on to this adventure totally unprepared and shouts for help whenever something goes wrong. But then it is based on a true story and not some fantasy survival tale.

And it really made me want to start hiking again.
    Last edited by Machine Man; 03-07-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Lots of typos

Captain Marvel. Up there with Doctor Strange and Thor: The Dark World as average MCU movies.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

More end of the world movies.

ON THE BEACH (1959) directed by Stanley Kramer, starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, Anthony Perkins. Gosh Gregory Peck was handsome. As most of this movie takes place in Australia, after the bombs have been dropped, to set the mood the soundtrack plays variations on "Waltzing Matilda." Now I like this song, but by the end of the movie I was wanting to blow my brains out if I heard that tune one more time! It was relentless.

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) directed by Lorene Scafaria, starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley. What a lovely movie, good soundtrack. Steve Carell is such a good comic actor, but the fun in this movie comes from the hilarious performances by the side characters. Carell must be determined to win an Oscar, as he's done a lot of movies where he plays this solemn loser type. I'm not sure that's where his talent lies. He has a scene in this movie where he's acting opposite Martin Sheen--and Sheen is just so good, it made me aware Carell is not in the same league. Now, Martin Sheen, that man deserves an Oscar!

THIS IS THE END (2013), directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen, starring Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen and a who's who of celebrities all playing d-bag versions of themselves, when the Rapture comes. Great soundtrack. It seems like a pretty superficial romp through the weed-induced imaginings of Rogen and James Franco--but there's a heavy message inside this movie. There's this fear that we Canadians have of becoming American--Baruchel doesn't want to be American, Rogen nearly is. Becoming American for Canadians is like going to hell. So I see this movie as playing out that fear through allegory--especially as expressed through Jay Baruchel.

Spider-Man Homecoming. It was fun. not in my top MU movies but enjoyable. Much better than the last two "Amazing" Spider-Man films. But The original Spider-Man I and II are still tops for me.
    Loved Michael Keaton as the Vulture, and they did a very good job updating his flight suit through alien wreckage. It was interesting how they played around with the early Spider-Man characters. But another final battle at night, which always disappoints me in these movies.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!