Page 42 of 206 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Retired

I started to watch CACHÉ, also called HIDDEN, but after only a few seconds I remembered that I saw it in the theatres when it came out. However, I couldn't remember what was the solution to the mystery, so I kept watching to get the answer. About halfway through, I began to suspect there would be no answer and by the end, yup, totally ambiguous. From 2005, directed by Michael Haneke, it stars Daniel Auteil and Juliet Binoche.

Then I watched ZODIAC (2007), directed by David Fincher. A much more straight forward mystery, but again while the movie tries to give an answer to whodunnit--given it's a real life story--it can't really do that.

All I want is a mystery, where I can play along with the detectives and guess whodunnit and find out the answer by the end of the movie. Is that too much to ask?

Quadrophenia
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Yesterday. Enjoyable and endearing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I've seen YESTERDAY twice now. I have to admit the second time wasn't as emotional for me--but that's because I knew what was coming. However, I wanted to see it a second time in a better theatre, with better picture and sound quality--and I had to take a long journey out into the burbs to find such a theatre.

It bugs me that some reviewers compare it to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and ROCKETMAN when it's only thinly related to those movies. It's not a period piece and it's not a bio-pic. It's a modern day, low budget "What-If" movie and a rom-com, so it has much more in common with GROUNDHOG DAY and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

There are so many questions that the movie didn't answer, but it's fun to speculate about what else might have changed. Like what other things didn't happen and what were all the causal effects of those things not happening.

iMan 42s

The Francis Ford Coppola Dracula for the second time. I freaking love this movie even if Keanu's accent isn't great.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Sicario 1 and 2

I love this kind of movies

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've seen YESTERDAY twice now. I have to admit the second time wasn't as emotional for me--but that's because I knew what was coming. However, I wanted to see it a second time in a better theatre, with better picture and sound quality--and I had to take a long journey out into the burbs to find such a theatre.

It bugs me that some reviewers compare it to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and ROCKETMAN when it's only thinly related to those movies. It's not a period piece and it's not a bio-pic. It's a modern day, low budget "What-If" movie and a rom-com, so it has much more in common with GROUNDHOG DAY and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

There are so many questions that the movie didn't answer, but it's fun to speculate about what else might have changed. Like what other things didn't happen and what were all the causal effects of those things not happening.
    Exactly, but when it comes to movies like this, critics are lost at sea. Remember they were lukewarm on BR , until it made a billion $, because like Queens music, it was made for the fans. This one is a lovely story, perfectly acted, with a few real emotion very emotional scenes. But also to remind us how phenomenal and important the Beatle's music is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Into the Spiderverse. Mostly fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The Francis Ford Coppola Dracula for the second time. I freaking love this movie even if Keanu's accent isn't great.
    Visually the movie is a real treat, and its pretty good at hitting the right notes compared to the book.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

In Bruges (2008)

Fun movie but not sure about the ending.

Astonishing Member

In Bruges....I watsched it two days after visiting Brugge, so I had the small location very well in mind. And that put a positiv extra spin on the movie for me...

Retired

Just saw ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD, directed by Quentin Tarantino, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. This was everything I could have wanted . . . and more. It's like this movie was made just for me.

A tip to all Batman & Robin fans, you will want to stay to the very end of the credits for a special surprise.

And at 2 hours and 41 minutes, it's a bladder defying movie. It flows at its own relaxed pace for most of the run time, but I would not remove one frame. If anything, I wished I could slow it down just to enjoy many of the scenes before going on to the next.

I'm sure critics will have negative things to say--because that's what some of them think is their job--but luckily the rest of use aren't critics and we can just go to a movie and see what Quentin Tarantino has prepared for us.

I think both DiCaprio and Pitt deserve to be remembered at awards time--especially DiCaprio.

The Sixth Sense. My cousin had never seen it and I thought it was time to re-visit this movie.

Haley Joel Osment is incredible in this movie. I know people remember him being good, but I don't remember him being this good. Also, back in the day when Bruce Willis actually gave a **** about the movies he was in.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Just saw ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD, directed by Quentin Tarantino, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. This was everything I could have wanted . . . and more. It's like this movie was made just for me.

A tip to all Batman & Robin fans, you will want to stay to the very end of the credits for a special surprise.

And at 2 hours and 41 minutes, it's a bladder defying movie. It flows at its own relaxed pace for most of the run time, but I would not remove one frame. If anything, I wished I could slow it down just to enjoy many of the scenes before going on to the next.

I'm sure critics will have negative things to say--because that's what some of them think is their job--but luckily the rest of use aren't critics and we can just go to a movie and see what Quentin Tarantino has prepared for us.

I think both DiCaprio and Pitt deserve to be remembered at awards time--especially DiCaprio.
    Just saw this yesterday as well. It was actually my first Tarantino flick. I have to admit, I was somewhat bored throughout the film. It was slow-paced, until it got good towards the end. As I was watching, though, I began to realize, y'know what, there's a lot of depth going on here. Really, want to see it again, because I think I may have missed some things.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Retired

It's not long since I watched THE HATEFUL EIGHT and that's another movie where Tarantino takes his time. After that, I watched a youtube video that examined the whole movie and showed all the little things going on that I missed. That impressed on me that Tarantino is no dummy--everything in his best movies has a reason for being there. So if he slows down the pace and takes his time in a scene, he has a good reason for doing that. And I had that in mind when I watched ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD. Besides which, 1969 is one of my most favourite years in my life, so I was happy to spend two and a half hours there, again. The fidelity to the time period (short of actually being made at the time) is incredible.