Page 47 of 204 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

I watched the 1953 movie Scandal at Scourie last night. Sadly, I didn't really think much of it. It probably would've been more hard-hitting when it was first released given the nature of the plot. However, in this day and age it comes off pretty "quaint" or perhaps even more "antiquated" than anything else.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched the 1953 movie Scandal at Scourie last night. Sadly, I didn't really think much of it. It probably would've been more hard-hitting when it was first released given the nature of the plot. However, in this day and age it comes off pretty "quaint" or perhaps even more "antiquated" than anything else.
    That's too bad. From the description on Wikipedia, it sounds like a movie I would get a lot out of watching. It stars three of my favourite actors--the pair of Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon, with Agnes Moorehead. It was filmed on location in Canada. And it appears to have, at least as a subtext, the Two Solitudes--Catholic French Quebec and Protestant English Ontario. I will have to put it on my list of movies to watch. I imagine just the scenes in Canada alone would make it worth my while. Pidgeon was Canadian, so it's always good to see him in his native country.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Starship Troopers - with extra added Rifftrax, though this film is hilarious without the additional jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Starship Troopers - with extra added Rifftrax, though this film is hilarious without the additional jokes.
    We will fight them on Planet Pee!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Men in Black International

Stupid and not charming, but watchable

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Brightburn. Forgettable, especially after watching The Boys series.
    I don't want to watch the Boys, and it wouldn't influence how bland Brightburn is.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I thought John Wick 3 was much stupider than the first two. The plot and action sequences jumped the shark.
    It's amazing stuff from start to finish. It's a shame you don't think much of it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That's too bad. From the description on Wikipedia, it sounds like a movie I would get a lot out of watching. It stars three of my favourite actors--the pair of Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon, with Agnes Moorehead. It was filmed on location in Canada. And it appears to have, at least as a subtext, the Two Solitudes--Catholic French Quebec and Protestant English Ontario. I will have to put it on my list of movies to watch. I imagine just the scenes in Canada alone would make it worth my while. Pidgeon was Canadian, so it's always good to see him in his native country.
    Well it is just my opinion. My mother liked it enough to buy the movie on DVD so my opinion is probably in the minority.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Well it is just my opinion. My mother liked it enough to buy the movie on DVD so my opinion is probably in the minority.
    Wikipedia says it was a bomb at the box office, so probably not many people liked it.

Sometimes I'm just interested in seeing a movie for technical reasons. Canada did not have a very big film industry until fairly recently, and our screens have always been dominated by American productions.

During the classic era of Hollywood movies, there was a policy where Canadian references and Canadian content were shoehorned into American movies, to allow Hollywood pictures to play in Canada without any trade restrictions. So that might explain why a movie like this got made or Hitchcock's I CONFESS, also made in 1953 and filmed in Quebec. I don't believe I CONFESS did very well at the box office either--but these movies might have been made at a loss for the sake of Hollywood having free access to the Canadian market.

Astonishing Member

Halloween 2018

I kinda sleep through these kind of movies. This one was like a Pizza Magherita, you can eat it, but it does not give any satisfaction.

The Kid who would be King.

It's a fun, sweet movie. Harkens backs to a time when they made fantasy kid-centric movies. Maybe that was the problem, now that big fantasy movies are mainstream. Or maybe it was "too British". Hard to say why some movies that don't suck can't find an audience. But I had a good time watching.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Ah, another one I watched this week.

The Quick and the dead.

A Western with much star power, Sharon Stone, Russel Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio and Gene Hackman. Unfortunately it was very cheap and an eye roller. At least Sharon looked really hot in her earlier years.

I saw Rambo: Last Blood tonight. If you watch it once, there'll be no need to ever see it again.

Ultimate Member

Finally got around to watching Super Buddies and The Sad Time Caper. It was fun and I guess a mostly satisfying conclusion to the last movie and a OK-ish cap on an era movies. I still think it's funny that in a movie that full of scenes of posing, call-backs to previous movies and references to comics, and other nonsense that only exists to get the audience to cheer...some people called 10 seconds of The Power Girls standing next to each "pandering." You would have thought Naomi Wolf showed up and made a speech or something the way some folks on the interwebs were talking.

Retired

I watched the 2018 movie that was originally called KEEPERS but they changed the title to THE VANISHING. I think KEEPERS is a much better title (pretty clever) and avoids the confusion with other movies called THE VANISHING. I had seen Mark Kermode review it and that piqued my interest. Directed by Kristoffer Nyholm, it stars Gerard Butler, Peter Mullan and Connor Swindells. Those three actors carry the bulk of the movie.

It's supposed to be based on a true historical event, but not really. The actual vanishing of the men with the same names as the characters happened in 1900, while the movie takes place in more recent times (although exactly what year I couldn't guess). And the movie offers a fanciful explanation for the vanishings, whereas there's probably a pragmatic reason for what happened to the three real life lighthouse keepers. So on that account, I think the movie doesn't play fair--and exploits what could have been an innocent accident for it's more gruesome plot.

But I have to give it to those three actors who all put in a great performance. It just didn't leave me feeling in good spirits by the end. It seems like all movies about lighthouses are rather grim and not cheery.

Astonishing Member

The John Wick 3 just didn't make it for me. It's silly to document it n detail as it is a personal evaluation. I'll just say the gun fights - which used to be fun, started to border on the ridiculous. Previous ones, like Collateral with Tom Cruise, had some reality. Folks have tried to duplicate Collateral (obviously, not with real people targets) and found that 30% of competitive shooters could beat Tom's time. The gun fights in Wick3 moved into Star Trek Red Shirt / StarWars Stormtrooper silliness. Too bad. I also thought that the head of the secret organization being a character from Aladdin was silly and condescending to everyone.

Retired

Watched MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (2017). Wasn't interested in seeing it when it came out, because I knew it would depress me. But after seeing Michelle Williams' acceptance speech on the Emmys, I was in the mood to watch a Michelle Williams movie. Boy, was I misled by all the promotion for MANCHESTER BY THE SEA. She was barely in it. I kept waiting for the big scene--but there wasn't really any.

I respect the director for not giving a big happy resolution to the plot, but at the same time I wanted some kind of cathartic moment. The characters never talk, when a few words might clear the air. I found that the movie was all about the men and the women were sidelined. The women are often literally the furniture in a scene. One could have made a whole movie about the Michelle Williams character or Gretchen Mol's character. Instead, every female character only has purpose in relation to one of the male characters in the movie.