Page 53 of 208 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Knives out. I think this is my favorite movie of the year. Its edging out Jojos rabbit but just barely for me.
    Knives Out was great. Between that, JoJo Rabbit, Parasite, The Lighthouse and then Midsomer, Rocketman and Book Smart earlier in the year, 2019 is shaping up to be one of the best years for film that I can remember.

Retired

I got fooled by a movie. I had found it on a list of French Christmas movies and I read that it was set in British Columbia. So I expected French, Christmas movie made in BC. And it wasn't any of those things.

The movie was L'OURS/THE BEAR (1988) directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud. The version I saw was in English (maybe it was dubbed), but there's not a lot of dialogue in the movie (the credits were in French). It's not about Christmas (you could maybe draw some kind of Christmas message from it if you really tried and most of the movie is not set in winter). And while it's supposed to take place in the Canadian Rockies of BC, it was actually not filmed there.

In fact, because I've been in the Rockies, I thought I was seeing the places that I knew. It was only after the movie, when I looked up the info about it on the internet, that I found out it was filmed in the Dolomites of Austria and Italy. Yet the story is supposed to take place in BC (as it says that at the beginning of the movie). Which is kind of funny given how many movies made in BC pretend to be set somewhere else.

Still, even though it was not what I had expected, it was a pretty great movie about this little bear--made with real animals and some animatronics and animation--but no CGI. I was totally invested in the story throughout.

The Bear is a classic!

Bumblebee. Don't get all the hype. I found it boring until the final fight. Lots of tired teenage tropes. Didn't particularly care for any of the main characters.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Bumblebee. Don't get all the hype. I found it boring until the final fight. Lots of tired teenage tropes. Didn't particularly care for any of the main characters.
    That's how I felt about the movie. It was a teen coming of age movie more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    That's how I felt about the movie. It was a teen coming of age movie more than anything else.
    And not a very good one.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Jumanji The Next Level. Retreads and all, and the final stage not being up to the previous movie's (Ruby Roundhouse still being awesome though), it was still fun. DeVito's addition to the cast was a small draw for me, and he delivered.

Given how the movie ended, I wonder if a potential sequel would have spoilers:
    more direct callbacks to Robin Williams Jumanji. At least I'd expect dead serious NPC versions of Bravestone and company.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I got fooled by a movie. I had found it on a list of French Christmas movies and I read that it was set in British Columbia. So I expected French, Christmas movie made in BC. And it wasn't any of those things.

The movie was L'OURS/THE BEAR (1988) directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud. The version I saw was in English (maybe it was dubbed), but there's not a lot of dialogue in the movie (the credits were in French). It's not about Christmas (you could maybe draw some kind of Christmas message from it if you really tried and most of the movie is not set in winter). And while it's supposed to take place in the Canadian Rockies of BC, it was actually not filmed there.

In fact, because I've been in the Rockies, I thought I was seeing the places that I knew. It was only after the movie, when I looked up the info about it on the internet, that I found out it was filmed in the Dolomites of Austria and Italy. Yet the story is supposed to take place in BC (as it says that at the beginning of the movie). Which is kind of funny given how many movies made in BC pretend to be set somewhere else.

Still, even though it was not what I had expected, it was a pretty great movie about this little bear--made with real animals and some animatronics and animation--but no CGI. I was totally invested in the story throughout.
    I saw this movie so long ago. I loved it. I have been trying to find it somewhere to watch, but haven't been able to find it. If I ever saw it on DVD or Blu-Ray, it would be an instant buy.

Let's see:

Marriage Story
    Event Horizon
    Deja Vu
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Knives Out was great. Between that, JoJo Rabbit, Parasite, The Lighthouse and then Midsomer, Rocketman and Book Smart earlier in the year, 2019 is shaping up to be one of the best years for film that I can remember.
    Yea I think my top 3 enjoyment wise right now is.
    1.knives out
    2. Jojo rabbit
    3. Endgame

Astonishing Member

The Endless on Amazon

Long time ago that I have seen a low budget movie with good actors and a very fine mystery. I highly recommend it for people who want to watch something with a secret that the main actors have to solve.

And don't watch the trailer!

Went and saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Honestly I don't get the hype about this movie. It was a bore, just a big dog of a flick. Don't get me wrong, Tom Hanks was just about perfect as Mr. Rogers but the problem was that the subject of the movie was not Mr. Rogers - he was just there as a supporting character. Maybe its about expectations but honestly there is no way I would have seen this movie had I known what it was really about, and I felt sort of gypped. It was a typical, run-of-the-mill, feel-good Hallmark movie! Easily the worst movie experience I had in 2019.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I watched Cold Pursuit on HBO On Demand. One of the most preposterously stupid movies I've ever seen.

I saw Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this afternoon. I thought it was a pretty good movie.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched Cold Pursuit on HBO On Demand. One of the most preposterously stupid movies I've ever seen.

I saw Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this afternoon. I thought it was a pretty good movie.
    Loved Cold Pursuit. It was supose to be absurd and a comedy.

Spider-Man Far from Home. I liked it alot, more than Homecoming. First, the final battle was better, and IN DAYLIGHT!! I hate big nighttime finles. And Mysterio was a better villain than ther Vulture.
    The first extra scene was great spoilers:
    with Simons back as JJ.
    end of spoilers

And the second I gather spoilers:
    is a lead into the next Captain Marvel movie.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Spider-Man Far from Home. I liked it alot, more than Homecoming. First, the final battle was better, and IN DAYLIGHT!! I hate big nighttime finles. And Mysterio was a better villain than ther Vulture.
    The first extra scene was great spoilers:
    with Simons back as JJ.
    end of spoilers

And the second I gather spoilers:
    is a lead into the next Captain Marvel movie.
    end of spoilers
    Its exactly the other way for me. I prefer Homecoming but both movies are really good yet none reach the highs of Spiderman 2 for me.