Page 54 of 206 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    Retired

ONCE (2007) written and directed by John Carney, starring Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová.

If you ever feel down about the kinds of generic movies coming out these days, just think of a movie like ONCE, made for about $150,000 (thousands not millions of dollars), starring two performers who had no interest in becoming famous actors. A movie that went on to international acclaim, winning many awards, including the Oscar for best original song.

I was gobsmacked by this movie. So simple, yet so good. A musical that never feels like a musical, about ordinary folk like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    ONCE (2007) written and directed by John Carney, starring Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová.

If you ever feel down about the kinds of generic movies coming out these days, just think of a movie like ONCE, made for about $150,000 (thousands not millions of dollars), starring two performers who had no interest in becoming famous actors. A movie that went on to international acclaim, winning many awards, including the Oscar for best original song.

I was gobsmacked by this movie. So simple, yet so good. A musical that never feels like a musical, about ordinary folk like you and me.
    It also became a very sweet Broadway Musical.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Loved Cold Pursuit. It was supose to be absurd and a comedy.
    Well, they got the absurd part at least. It wasn't the least bit funny.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Well, they got the absurd part at least. It wasn't the least bit funny.
    Different deathstroke for different folks.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Different deathstroke for different folks.
    Oh I have no problem that you have a different viewpoint. I'm just saying what I thought of the movie after watching it. Believe me, I love some movies that others hate so it's only logical it would be the same for me.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Oh I have no problem that you have a different viewpoint. I'm just saying what I thought of the movie after watching it. Believe me, I love some movies that others hate so it's only logical it would be the same for me.
    Yeah, I was just commenting that you saw it differently than me. Not taking you to task or anything.

Also trying to make a pun with your name
    Last edited by Kirby101; 12-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

A Christmas Carol (2019)
    FX presented a brand new version of the Charles Dickens classic for television, and I found it to have been an absolute shitshow. It was NOTHING like the original novel (which I’ve read) and was as far removed from all the previous small screen and big screen adaptations that ever existed, and NOT in a good way.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

I watched Star Wars:Rise of Skywalker in 3-D and IMAX.
    Just a great Star Wars movie.Enjoyed watching it a lot.

Venom It's a delightful bad-borderline mediocre movie.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I watched Star Wars:Rise of Skywalker in 3-D and IMAX.
    Just a great Star Wars movie.Enjoyed watching it a lot.
    Ditto. It's in my blood. It'll take a few more viewings to get sober again!. It's been a long time since I've been this obsessed by a film. Good for Abrams and Disney for not listening to a bunch of vocal whiners who want to see their fan fiction on screen as opposed to good storytelling.

I saw Knives out. Loved Johnson's TLJ and Looper, but I think he just dropped the ball on this one. The mystery was revealed half way through the film and the twist, I pretty much figured out once a character mentioned the board game he liked to play. It's an okay film, but it would serve better on cable.

Ford Vs. Ferrari : Saw it because I liked the trailer. The period costumes and settings are nice. But the story is thin. The last 45 minutes is what makes it great. Unless you love race car races it's a rental.
    Last edited by Mia; 12-23-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Just saw Rise of Skywalker. I definitely rank it ahead of TLJ. I'll need a second viewing soon since the couple next to me kept talking
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I decided to check out the Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase movie that was released this year. I admit that I thought the trailer looked stupid and didn't give it another thought.

But I saw it on On Demand this morning and figured I'd check it out.

I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's clearly aimed at the young female audience but it wasn't an insulting or overly preachy script so that was good.

And I thought Sophia Lillis did a decent job of portraying this iteration of Nancy Drew.

Color me very surprised to have actually kind of enjoyed this movie.

I decided to check out the Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase movie that was released this year. I admit that I thought the trailer looked stupid and didn't give it another thought.

But I saw it on On Demand this morning and figured I'd check it out.

I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's clearly aimed at the young female audience but it wasn't an insulting or overly preachy script so that was good.

And I thought Sophia Lillis did a decent job of portraying this iteration of Nancy Drew.

Color me very surprised to have actually kind of enjoyed this movie.
    I saw it too one late insominaic night. I enjoyed it but...spoilers:
    The evil train company? This isn't the 1890s. There is only one train company, that's Amtrak. Except for regional public lines. So there can't be an evil train company hiring unscrupulous people.
    end of spoilers

I saw it too one late insominaic night. I enjoyed it but...spoilers:
    The evil train company? This isn't the 1890s. There is only one train company, that's Amtrak. Except for regional public lines. So there can't be an evil train company hiring unscrupulous people.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, I kind of just let that go because it is essentially a kids movie so they weren't going to have it be to on the nose in terms of a "villain".

I'm going to see Jumanji: The Next Level on Xmas Day. So I thought it would be a good idea if I actually saw Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle for the first time.

It was rather amusing in a big dumb mostly kid-friendly popcorn kind of way. Jack Black was very funny and The Rock was amusing as well.