Page 6 of 203 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I thought your username was meant to suggest that you are a big fan of Batman.
    I can relate to losing a fist fight to my paternal cousin.
    I am but mostly due to nostalgia (thanks DC). I probably couldn't get into Batfandom anymore starting today. Like Gotham Wakanda is such a rich universe of its own. The kick-ass ladies in Black Panther are interesting enough, we get a great villain, the last scene between T'Challa and Killmonger is one of my favourite MCU moments and yet I wonder why I don't like the movie more. Maybe fatigue? I'll certainly watch it again. You have to take your cousins down when they least expect it
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 09-26-2018 at 06:49 AM.

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
    I should probably stop saying I'm not a fan of Star Wars, but I still find the original trilogy to be an overrated story with characters I mostly don't care about. I do enjoy the prequel trilogy to some degree, and seem to have quite some love for the two spin-offs it spawned. This movie made me genuinely like the character of Han Solo.spoilers:

As someone who did not watch any of the shows the return of Darth Maul made zero sense to me, even with the explanation of fans of the cartoons I'd still think this should not be taken to canon in any way or form.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I am but mostly due to nostalgia (thanks DC). I probably couldn't get into Batfandom anymore starting today. Like Gotham Wakanda is such a rich universe of its own. The kick-ass ladies in Black Panther are interesting enough, we get a great villain, the last scene between T'Challa and Killmonger is one of my favourite MCU moments and yet I wonder why I don't like the movie more. Maybe fatigue? I'll certainly watch it again. You have to take your cousins down when they least expect it
    Then I can definitely not recommend Batman: Ninja, not even if that was a good movie.
    That fight was maybe 24 years ago, can't say I want to punch him anymore.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Retired

• A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (2005), David Cronenberg. A movie that's supposed to be set in America, with mostly non-Canadian actors, yet this movie feels so much like Canada to me in every frame, that if I was somewhere else outside of Canada and I got homesick, I'd just have to watch this movie to feel like I was in Canada again.
    • THERE WILL BE BLOOD (2007), Paul Thomas Anderson. I always thought there'd be so much blood in this movie that it put me off, but there's not a lot of blood.
    • ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL (2006), Terry Zwigoff. The Adagio from Beethoven's Piano Concerto in E Flat Major and Sophia Myles are so sublime in this movie that the rest seems ridiculous and mundane.
    • THE MASTER (2012), Paul Thomas Anderson. Even though Daniel Plainview is a wicked man, in THERE WILL BE BLOOD, he's still such an awesome figure that it's satisfying to watch him get his revenge. Yet neither of the leads in THE MASTER had enough strength of character for me to invest in their outcomes. Peggy, played by Amy Adams, was a much more intriguing personality, but didn't get enough screen time.
    • PUNCH DRUNK LOVE (2002), Paul Thomas Anderson. A nice Donner Superman allegory. Watching this PTA movie gave me much more angst than either THE MASTER or THERE WILL BE BLOOD--maybe because I could identify with Adam Sandler's character (my sisters also make me want to smash things).

The Social Network. This movie is so good. From the first scene, to that sombre opening theme, all the way through to the end, this movie just clicks on every level.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

About to watch Hold the dark on Netflix anyone watched it yet. It's a long movie and I have set aside some valuable time for it. Wondering if anyone seen it yet and had an opinion.

I started watching Solo a star wars story. The beginning is rocky but the middle picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    About to watch Hold the dark on Netflix anyone watched it yet. It's a long movie and I have set aside some valuable time for it. Wondering if anyone seen it yet and had an opinion.
    I was thinking of checking it out, but ended up watching something else. Gave me a "Wind River" vibe, which is a good thing.

Ultimate Member

"Hotel Artemis". Kinda surprised to see Jodi Foster in a movie like this. Reasonably entertaining. Two and half stars.

Lockout. A serviceable movie with a good performance by Guy Pearce.

Ultimate Member

The Stranger Orson Welles. 3 stars

Malevolent on Netflix. Nice little horror movie, but fairly predictable.

Zombieland. I had been meaning to watch this movie again, since I really loved it from the very first time I watched it. One of my favourite zombie movies.

War of the Worlds. I had been looking for one of those mindless, end of the world type movies, and decided to re-watch this movie. One of Spielberg's more low-key movie output, IMO. I loved it.

Retired

• INSIDIOUS (2011), INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 (2013), James Wan. It’s like Wan is working out some ideas that would be developed in the Conjuring movies.
    • WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014), Taika Waititi/Jemaine Clement. Shockumentary--I forget the contents of this movie.
    • LE VIOL DU VAMPIRE (1968), Jean Rollin. Interesting to see cinematic techniques that seem modern used in a movie that otherwise looks like an old black & white student film.
    • IDIOCRACY (2006), Mike Judge. The one error this movie makes is setting it 500 years in the future, the truth is more like 50. Judge misjudged how long it would take for the USA to become an idiocracy.
    • THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS (2018), Tim Wardle. From its light tone at the opening, this documentary takes you on a journey that becomes darker and more twisted the deeper you get into it. A horror movie all the more unsettling because it’s real.

Fantastic Member

I just saw Bad Times at the El Royale. Holy crap I enjoyed that immensely--probably one of my favorite movies of the year. If you like dark, pulpy, noir you should go see this. Jeff Bridges was great (of course) and it was fun seeing Hemsworth as a character who is quite the opposite of Thor. It was somewhat predictable in spots, but a few neat surprises too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I just saw Bad Times at the El Royale. Holy crap I enjoyed that immensely--probably one of my favorite movies of the year. If you like dark, pulpy, noir you should go see this. Jeff Bridges was great (of course) and it was fun seeing Hemsworth as a character who is quite the opposite of Thor. It was somewhat predictable in spots, but a few neat surprises too.
    The trailer makes it seem to me like a Martin Scorcese-ish film...was that your view or would you say it was a different type of movie?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The trailer makes it seem to me like a Martin Scorcese-ish film...was that your view or would you say it was a different type of movie?
    It felt more like a 90s Tarantino movie.