Page 64 of 204 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Silverado

Doesnt matter how good people think it is, I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be a comedy or something else? It wasn't funny enough for a comedy. The cast was great, but the acting sucked most of the time.

Retired

I remember the hype for SILVERADO. They were saying it was going to bring back the Western and it didn't. But I also remember an interview with Kevin Costner after that where he said he was going to make this Western epic that would be the greatest achievement of his career and that was DANCES WITH WOLVES. His ego may have been too big as a result of that movie's success, because he made a couple of disasters after that. But DANCES was a truly great Western.

Astonishing Member

Dances is in the premier league, together with the Dollar trilogy and Once upon a time in the West. Silverado not. Kevin Costner's role was annoying by the way. I dislike his younger self. He is like a wine, the older he gets the better he gets.

I think Open Range is better than Dances with Wolves.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I still have to see Open Range. Its on my watchlist.

That's the one with him and Robert Duvall right? Havent seen that in a long time, think it's time for a rewatch

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    That's the one with him and Robert Duvall right? Havent seen that in a long time, think it's time for a rewatch
    Yes, that's it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959), a Hammer film directed by Terence Fisher, starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee--made after Fisher had directed DRACULA with Cushing and Lee for Hammer, but still at a point when Hammer horrors were fairly tame. Which is unfortunate. Cushing makes a good Sherlock Holmes--he did so again almost ten years later in a series for the BBC--but I've always found THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES to be a poor test of Holmes' abilities--and the Hammer version of the story has even less detection. So with the lack of gore and the lack of mystery, this movie is ho-hum--Christopher Lee is stuck in the tepid role of Sir Henry Baskerville.

I like the Holmes short stories much more than the novellas. The short stories are concise and to the point--the novellas are too drawn out, with Holmes left out of the action for a good part of the books--A STUDY IN SCARLET is the only novella I really like and that's because it's our introduction to Mr. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson. Yet THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES seems to be the story that gets the most adaptations in live action--usually with the movies trying to make more out of the horror of the hound than what is there on the page. And it's only a passable Scooby-Doo yarn.
    Have you seen the 1939 film the Hound of the Baskervilles, starring Basil Rathbone? It's generally considered to be the best Sherlock film.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Have you seen the 1939 film the Hound of the Baskervilles, starring Basil Rathbone? It's generally considered to be the best Sherlock film.
    I've watched it. I like the other Rathbone/Bruce movies more. Again, I just don't like the story--to me it doesn't feel like what a Holmes story should be. The best part of it is near the beginning when they're still in London; once Watson goes to Dartmoore, it's all downhill for me. When I read the book, I had to make up my own story to be interested enough to get through it.

Extraordinary Member

The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Really good a lot better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Really good a lot better than I expected.
    Yes, much darker than most Chan movies.

Astonishing Member

His best movies in years. I cannot watch all the boring or silly stuff from his recent years.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I'm not a fan of his slapstick stuff. But this was a much more serious role for him and he sold it.

Astonishing Member

13 SINS

Watch this if you like mysteries with twist and turns...

Extraordinary Member

Knives out, pretty good whodunnit?. I did think it was kinda weird they made such a big deal of Marta's "otherness" when she could have easily passed as a family member. It also reminded me I like Craig a lot better as a character actor rather than James Bond.