Page 71 of 206 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 3085
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Challenge accepted. I've watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD before, of course (it's one of those movies that everyone has to watch), but I never paid that much attention to the music or the production. Wikipedia says that John Williams cited Erich Wolfgang Korngold as his inspiration for the Star Wars scores.

This was Warner Bros. first big budget Technicolor production--and the colours really pop on the screen. The art direction makes me think of Hal Foster's Prince Valiant work from the 1930s--and I imagine that would have been an influence. There is an unmistakable Star Wars aspect to the plot--each time Maid Marian is on screen she makes me think of Princess Leia. The wardrobe department went crazy with the outfits they gave Olivia De Havilland.

A nice companion to this movie would be THE COURT JESTER--which was likely parodying a lot from this movie and other Errol Flynn swashbuckling films. Basil Rathbone's sword fights at the end of both movies have a lot in common.
    Rathbone supposedly said that when he made the Court Jester, Danny Kaye was the best naturally gifted on screen opponent he’d ever met, able to basically copy any of the moves they had to make just by watching Rathbone himself do them once... or alternatively, that Kaye was the first on-screen opponent who was too fast for Rathbone to keep up with at 63, so the instructor had to stand in for him a few times.

Though in hindsight, the fact that a great duelist like Rathbone barely ever got to win any of his on-screen fights is a shame.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Flynn wasn'r bad, but you can see Rathbone is more polished.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

And Danny Kaye

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

just finished watching Cop Land the other night

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Ad Astra ........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz. God that movie was boring and pretentious. It was trying so hard to be 2001 but just failing so bad.

Watched the first five episodes of Black Lightning.

That's...something. So far so not very good at all.

X-Men Trilogy

The rest of the non-Wolverine movies shouldn't be considered part of this canon, nothing in trying to connect them together makes sense.
    Aside from that, all three are good movies, even the third one with its inferior cinematography that suffers from shaky action camera shots.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member

Letter to the King on Netflix. Disappointing, you how we thought Finn was gonna be the one and then they did the bait and switch. Same thing here but worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Letter to the King on Netflix. Disappointing, you how we thought Finn was gonna be the one and then they did the bait and switch. Same thing here but worse.
    Who's Finn?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Who's Finn?
    You know that guy from SWS with the leather jacket.lol

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You know that guy from SWS with the leather jacket.lol
    Oh, ffs am I a dolt!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Oh, ffs am I a dolt!
    Haha I'm sure you're not the first to forget who Finn was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Ad Astra ........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz. God that movie was boring and pretentious. It was trying so hard to be 2001 but just failing so bad.
    Agreed. I wanted to support more movies that weren't sequels or blockbusters and watched it in the theatres. While I don't regret paying for the movie, as I love science fiction movies and this movie really did take advantage of special effects on the big screen, it was boring as Hell.

I came home and started watching Red Sparrow on Netflix. I probably should have started watching it earlier than 2 am, as I started feeling sleepy and had to pause it. I'll pick it up from the beginning again as I was curious about where it was going.

Just finished Ong-Bak with my father. He loves action movies, so I thought I'd get a lot more "oohs" and "ahhs" from him out of watching the superb Tony Jaa do his ****. Oddly enough, he really liked it but didn't get into it quite as much as I would have expected.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Terminator Dark Fate.

This was alright. I didn't hate it like some people.

spoilers:
    Killing John did not bother me. Take this **** somewhere new! Then they kinda didn't, anyway. Oh well.

I did kinda hate Dani. Could they have picked a less imposing human being to be the leader of the new resistance? Two feet tall. Looks about 12. Corn Rows didn't make her look tough. Yeah, I just couldn't buy into that. Especially against Hamilton and McKenzie, who fit the mold. The future scene, and the very end where they try to make her bad ass just did not work at all. Not a great actress across the board, but 100% not a bad ass.
    end of spoilers

Other than that I enjoyed it enough for the time spent.

The one thing I don't get about the Terminator movies is why they can't get a great director. That's why the first 2 are good. The scripts aren't fucking incredible, but Cameron was at the top of his game when he made them. So to try, numerous times, to get this **** going again they go and hire these also-ran journeymen directors.

How does no one in charge see that the one thing missing from the equation is a really top tier director?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Terminator Dark Fate.

This was alright. I didn't hate it like some people.

spoilers:
    Killing John did not bother me. Take this **** somewhere new! Then they kinda didn't, anyway. Oh well.

I did kinda hate Dani. Could they have picked a less imposing human being to be the leader of the new resistance? Two feet tall. Looks about 12. Corn Rows didn't make her look tough. Yeah, I just couldn't buy into that. Especially against Hamilton and McKenzie, who fit the mold. The future scene, and the very end where they try to make her bad ass just did not work at all. Not a great actress across the board, but 100% not a bad ass.
    end of spoilers

Other than that I enjoyed it enough for the time spent.

The one thing I don't get about the Terminator movies is why they can't get a great director. That's why the first 2 are good. The scripts aren't fucking incredible, but Cameron was at the top of his game when he made them. So to try, numerous times, to get this **** going again they go and hire these also-ran journeymen directors.

How does no one in charge see that the one thing missing from the equation is a really top tier director?
    I think they tried with Tim Miller.

They felt Miller had come off a strong movie like Deadpool, where Miller really stretched the budget and delivered with surprising results. Even with Alan Taylor, I think they thought they found a diamond in the rough, where Taylor had a few directing credits on Game of Thrones. Personally, I thought Thor: The Dark World is one of the better looking MCU movies, even if it was a boring and shitty movie. Taylor directed that and maybe the Terminator producers thought they found a director with a strong eye for special effects. Genesys really was garbage, though and I thought Dark Fate was also garbage.

Recently watched: Silver Linings Playbook on Netflix.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/