Page 75 of 208 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 3117

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its a myth that Americans have a problem with sex, nudity and all that stuff. Just a bunch of hokum cooked up by people who want to sound more metropolitan or by Europeans who think themselves to be superior. The origin of the myth is in a misunderstanding of religion by people who (unsurprisingly) are not religious.
    I would disagree; having lived in America for 6 years, I find there is... shall we say, less "pride" in nudity and sexuality. It's still seen as a stamp of negativity, of impurity, of salaciousness. Americans have Hooters, and dress women in barely anything for sports advertisement or TV shows, but those women aren't lauded. They are seen as objects, not people. America is obsessed with sex, doesn't meant they are okay with it. If that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Its funny how Americans do have problems with sex, nudity and all that stuff. Its not awkward or anything else, its just what people do or talk about.
    In Europe its no big thing, even my daughter and her friends watched movies with sex and nudity in it, and they were 16 at the time.
    And the continent is even freer than the UK. When I was in Portugal there was this giant naked male billboard we drove by everyday to set. I enjoyed that part of the journey. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I think they just need simple black & white movies, like they made in the 80s.
    Errrr... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're... at best a teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    My parents would have a heart attack at the concept of men and women having sex .
    I'm pretty certain that's not true... you exist, no?

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    He does not make my top ten but he's cool.
    Die Hare 1-3, Red series, Look whos talking series (I don't know if it holds up though...haven't seen since the early 90s), Bandits, Unbreakable, sixth sense and looper are cool off the top of my head
    Those are good films, but not necessarily because of him. Bruce Willis was a good action hero back in the day, because he could deliver a punchline. He's got good comic timing, and that made him stand out. One of the reasons Arnie got so big is he's actually VERY good with comic timing. But in this day and age, where good actors who can't throw a punch but deliver a good performance can be action stars, his time is up. He's a good voice actor though, so I'll give you Look Who's Talking.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg- Its always good to see Marky Mark. He is almost never in a bad movie.

Retired

The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg- Its always good to see Marky Mark. He is almost never in a bad movie.
    Is that true or sarcasm? I've never seen a Mark Wahlberg movie--that I can remember--but when I watch movie review shows, it's always this Mark Wahlberg movie is so bad or that Mark Wahlberg movie is so bad--I just assume he's been in a lot of turkeys.

Okja by Boon Jin Ho. Don't know why this wasn't a bigger movie. Fun and moving. Now with Parasite, it probably is getting a bigger audience. Though we always knew he was good with The Host and Snowpiercer.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Is that true or sarcasm? I've never seen a Mark Wahlberg movie--that I can remember--but when I watch movie review shows, it's always this Mark Wahlberg movie is so bad or that Mark Wahlberg movie is so bad--I just assume he's been in a lot of turkeys.
    Its just my opinion. I don't listen to critics, if I like an actor I watch his movie. Its that simple.

My favorite of the last years are: The other guys (I couldn't stop laughing, I had to press pause a lot), Mile 22, 2 Guns, Lone Survivor, Shooter

Maybe I am not hard to pleased?

Its just my opinion. I don't listen to critics, if I like an actor I watch his movie. Its that simple.

My favorite of the last years are: The other guys (I couldn't stop laughing, I had to press pause a lot), Mile 22, 2 Guns, Lone Survivor, Shooter

Maybe I am not hard to pleased?
    You are right. Wahlberg has made a lot of enjoyable movies. He has been good in all of them. Some have shown his acting chops, like The Gambler and The Fighter. Have you seen his new Spencer on Netflix?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Insidious - I enjoyed it until the demon started playing the piano or whatever. I lost it and found it hilarious.

Insidious 2 - I like the plot but it was too predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You are right. Wahlberg has made a lot of enjoyable movies. He has been good in all of them. Some have shown his acting chops, like The Gambler and The Fighter. Have you seen his new Spencer on Netflix?
    There's also The Departed.

And I love I Heart Huckabees. He's ridiculous in that . . . in a good way.

Astonishing Member

I have seen Spenser and yeah it was okay in my book, but not my favorite.

Departed...great movie.

Battle Angel Alita.

Aaah, isn't that heartwarming? A good adaptation of a manga i have been a fan of since the 90's.

Feels good. Feels real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Errrr... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're... at best a teenager?
    Nah, I'm 40. I just meant action movies in the 80s were a lot more straight-forward, with distinct bad guys with bad guy motivations. The good guys could have been ruthless, but there was never any doubt as to whether they were the good guys. For a majority of the 80s movies I am familiar with, the good guys would do their best to protect women and children, maybe rebel against authority, but only because the authority figures were clear-cut assholes. They may have been killers, but it seemed like they killed for honour and duty, rather than for money or power.

I don't know...maybe I see more shades of grey and moral conflict in the protagonists of action movies now versus the 80s.

I'm pretty certain that's not true... you exist, no?
    They are pretty religious and come from a culture that is very much thinks that all things sex should be left for the bedroom and maybe only for the purpose of propagating the family name and genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Mark Wahlberg has actually been in a lot of movies that are pretty good, where I think he's quite good in them. I think he works best in comedies like "The Other Guys", "Instant Family" or "Ted", but he's was pretty good in "The Fighter", "Lone Survivor" and "The Departed". I think he also works pretty well in action movies like "The Big Hit", "Shooter" and "2 Guns".

Recently I watched: Universal Soldier and Prometheus

To this day, I feel massively disappointed in Prometheus. I think it could have easily been a direct prequel to Alien and still continued the story of Elizabeth Shaw's search for answers. I think the Weyland storyline could have been completely abolished, as I felt it really hindered the execution.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I saw Lost World: Jurassic Park on TV for the dozenth time. It wasn't as good as the first but it certainly isn't an awful movie and I wouldn't even classify it as a guilty pleasure. My favorite part is when the T-Rex busts loose with some helpful idiots into the city. I admit that may be low brow but you have to imagine this scene in a big hushed theater and you know whats coming when they want to know why the ship is speeding like a bat out of hell towards them, you're waiting to see this terror unleash. Its sad I guess. there are all these people who knew nothing about a Park with dinosaurs, I doubt this is how they thought their life would end. Or what would kill their dog. Anyway, the whole "humans" are evil theme is all well and good, that jerk certainly deserved to be killed by that mob of viscous little dinos but did that little girl? These people had no idea that a group of Scientists were going to bring back dinosaurs and start a park and I myself would have no qualms about killing any of the predatory ones to protect myself. And I would have left that baby -T-Rex and not save it like Julianne mores character stupidly needed to. I admit what they were doing to the herbivores was sad and wrong. I don't feel the same way about nasty dinos as I do about the not extinct predators like wolves and big cats etc...lol.

What's been discussed: I don't have any nice feelings towards Wahlberg as a person but I admit he was good in Boogie Nights. Movies like The Departed and The Fighter were mostly because of the other actors for me. I saw I Heart Huckabees but I forgot he was even in it. He is just not a draw of mine.

As I said I don't think Willis is the worst actor and can be good but he had actors like Robin Wright, Toni Collette, Billy Bob Thorton and Cate Blanchet to work along side in some of my favorite 2000's flicks. The Sixth Sense introduced me to Ms. Collette but I actually saw Bandits mostly for Blanchet and Thorton. Whoops! TSS was technically 1999. Close enough.

Fun Fact: I had went to live with my older brother for a few years in WH and after seeing a movie, can't remember the movie, I saw tons of people in a panic as I was exiting the theater. People thought there was a hold up in Century Cities business district and then the other theory was that there was a movie being filmed. Nothing was being confirmed but the cops were there blocking us. It seemed to have something to do with this glass sky-scraper and it ended up being the final scene of the movie Bandits they were filming, except I didn't know this when I went to see Bandits, I gasped in surprise... and at the same theater where the filming was near that I saw the commotion, the same sky-scraper where I was wondering what the hell was going on. I wish I could remember the theater though, I think it may have been AMC 15? Anyway, I have the film on DVD.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-14-2020 at 07:03 PM.

I saw The Way Back, the basketball movie with Ben Affleck that was in theaters just before they were all shut down. The stuff I saw said it was a pretty good movie with Affleck's performance being great.

I disagree. It's the same general kind of story I saw in the movie The Winning Season with Sam Rockwell, with kind of the same story. It was an okay film but it didn't deserve much in the way of excessive hype.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Finally watched Avengers Endgame, guess i was one of the last person on earth who hadn't watched it yet lol.

And, well, that was interesting. Too long though, definitely too long for me but i never cared as much as some of you here about that whole mcu thingie so...

Retired

Acting is such an ill-defined art that what passes for good acting varies from person to person. I remember the first time I saw STAR WARS in 1977, I thought the acting was really bad (except for Alec Guinness)--the style of acting seemed to be a very flat delivery of lines with almost no emotion--Harrison Ford, in particular, bugged me a lot with his line delivery. And I remember other movies from around the same time also bothered me because the acting was also flat in them--the movie TESS (1979) had some pretty flat acting. I guess I was used to earlier movies, where actors gave bigger performances.

Bruce Willis has always been a toned-down kind of actor. His line delivery is always flat. But I think that's what's considered good, in that school of acting. So it's hard to say what's bad acting or not. It's not supposed to look like he's trying too hard. If that's the feature of his acting, then it's not easy to say when he's phoning it in and when he's just giving the performance that's expected of him.