Page 78 of 208 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 3116

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Apparently this mystery also inspired THE LIGHTHOUSE, but I wouldn't know having not seen it yet.
    If you mean Smalls Lighthouse, then yes, it was an inspiration.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If you mean Smalls Lighthouse, then yes, it was an inspiration.
    Well, the Wikipedia article on THE KEEPERS (aka THE VANISHING) says that story was based on the mystery of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse--and the Wikipedia article on Flannan Isles says that THE LIGHTHOUSE loosely references this mystery, as well. So I expect the movie THE LIGHTHOUSE was an amalgam of lighthouse stories.

Having listened to many classic radio anthologies, lighthouses seem to be prime locations for suspense thrillers.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    The Lighthouse Keeper with Robert Pattison and Willem Dafoe

Crazy shit movie. And wow, Robert Pattison can act. I don't want to see him as Batman, or rather can't imagine him as Batman, because he is so thin, but the boy can act. Willem Dafoe? I don't have to mention that he is great, do I? The movie is in black and white and a horror/mysterie story with much character. I definitely had to think about that movie for a long while after watching it.

Once upon a time in Hollywood

I liked it better than I thought. The Bruce Lee stuff was bullshit. If it was satire, okay I can live with it, but if Quentin thought that's how real Bruce was or should be shown...just no. The rest was Tarantino let his characters talk through the movie without a real plot, but it wasn't boring. Brad Pitt and Leonardo have a great chemistry, so that was great too. The fighting at the end of the movie was hilarious.
    Pattinson is scrawny like Keaton but I imagine Batman as a Kung Fu detective not the Arkham Games look or the Ben Affleck look. You can kick the Riddler's/Catwoman's/Penguin's behind without being shaped like Batfleck/Thor

Margot Robie (?) added nothing but all the Pitt (and Pitt and Pitbull) scenes were gold. Damn fine movie from where I stand.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-21-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Well, the Wikipedia article on THE KEEPERS (aka THE VANISHING) says that story was based on the mystery of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse--and the Wikipedia article on Flannan Isles says that THE LIGHTHOUSE loosely references this mystery, as well. So I expect the movie THE LIGHTHOUSE was an amalgam of lighthouse stories.

Having listened to many classic radio anthologies, lighthouses seem to be prime locations for suspense thrillers.
    The Lighthouse (2019) isn't entirely based on it, but definitely took some inspiration from it.
    It's got a lot going on influence wise, but if you're familiar with Smalls Lighthouse, and pay attention, you'll see the influence.

Some Disney's stuff. Frozen 2, i was like "yeah, whatever" till a certain moment around the end. Then i was all "wait what?" lol. I don't know, it's not bad but...

And Toy Story 4. Bold end. Some good moments. I enjoyed it more than Frozen 2 even if it's hardly my favorite pixar.

Underwater. I don't know...I think this movie had a lot of potential. I think there was a better movie there...somewhere. The cast was pretty good and I had no idea Jessica Henwick was British. I have to really question why Olivia Munn and not Henwick for Psylocke in X-Men: Apocalypse.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I watched the Hunted, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. I had watched this movie a while ago, but completely forgot about it. I didn't think it was especially good when I last watched it and I maintain that. The action sequences were fairly cool.
    Last edited by Arfguy; 04-23-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and have to say I really enjoyed it. Great performances by Pitt, Robbie, and Dicaprio.

Venom. All right, I guess it was meant to be more of a comedy. Surprised it was such a big hit.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Haven't seen THE LIGHTHOUSE yet--it's on my list of movies to see, but I have to be in the right mood--in the last year I've seen KEEPERS aka THE VANISHING (2018) based on a true life mystery, SHUTTER ISLAND starring Leonardo DiCaprio and A STOLEN LIFE starring Bette Davis and Glenn Ford. I think I talked about all three lighthouse movies on this thread when I watched them. The true life lighthouse mystery also inspired a DOCTOR WHO story "The Horror of Fang Rock" featuring the Fourth Doctor and Leela. Apparently this mystery also inspired THE LIGHTHOUSE, but I wouldn't know having not seen it yet.
    You might like Eye of the Needle from 1981.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Spaceballs. Way less silly than i remember it. Well, last time i watched it was in 89 or something though so...

Fine little comedy. Funny that they have built that long ass model from the opening scene for just pretty much one shot. Of course they re-used it many times but never the whole damn thing.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Spaceballs. Way less silly than i remember it. Well, last time i watched it was in 89 or something though so...

Fine little comedy. Funny that they have built that long ass model from the opening scene for just pretty much one shot. Of course they re-used it many times but never the whole damn thing.
    I can't think of SPACEBALLS (which came out a decade after the first STAR WARS), without thinking of HARDWARE WARS that came out soon after STAR WARS had appeared on the screens. I remember seeing HARDWARE WARS in the theatre at the time--but since it's just a short feature, I don't know in what context I saw it, had to be before another feature. I was just astounded that such a movie could be made, since as a spoof of the Lucas movie it is much more on the nose than SPACEBALLS. You see lots of spoofs like this on Youtube now, but back then it took a lot of effort to create such a work. Credit to Ernie Fosselius.

I remember that in 1987 I wasn't as impressed with SPACEBALLS as the movies Mel Brooks had made earlier (YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, BLAZING SADDLES, THE PRODUCERS, HIGH ANXIETY), but I rewatched it recently and enjoyed the heck out of it. It feels like it's gotten better with age. And it also happens to star some actors that are no longer with us, thus I have great affection for it now.

Yesterday, I watched YOUR SISTER'S SISTER (2011) that I found on a list of romantic comedies. I'm not sure it's so romantic or comedic. But it starred Emily Blunt and that was enough for me.

I remember that in 1987 I wasn't as impressed with SPACEBALLS as the movies Mel Brooks had made earlier (YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, BLAZING SADDLES, THE PRODUCERS, HIGH ANXIETY), but I rewatched it recently and enjoyed the heck out of it. It feels like it's gotten better with age.
    All very true. Pretty much why i never have been that interested to watch it again but i was surprised to see how much i enjoyed it. It's nowhere near young frankenstein but it's a damn fun movie and as you said it has aged quite nicely.

And man, the actors. Is that a trip down memory lane or what? I can't look at Rick Moranis without feeling all nostalgic lol. That dude has been in so many movies of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Underwater. I don't know...I think this movie had a lot of potential. I think there was a better movie there...somewhere.
    I liked it. I thought the designs were terrific. I didn't expect much from the story, and I didn't get much. There's a fun little thing at the end that I think, for some people, will improve their opinion of what they just watched.

I liked it visually, but I didn't care about anyone in it. No one living or dying meant anything to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

I want my nearly 3 hours back
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Retired

The long run time was what put me off seeing ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD again in the theatre. But I had always wanted to go back and see it. I'll probably buy the DVD, after this crisis is over. But I really enjoyed the movie and the thing I really loved was that feeling of being in 1969. There are many movies that try to recreate times I remember living through and they always fail at the effort. But Tarantino's movie was so authentic that I felt that I was living through 1969 all over again. That was such a great feeling that I want to have it again. Short of building a time machine, that's the only way I'll be able to do it.