Page 79 of 208 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 3117

it the Second Chapter. Very well made with cool creatures and first rate FX. All the actors were good. Burt the movie just seemed to meander and the ending didn't really work.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Alita: Battle Angel. Was it supposed to be a big block of stinky cheese? Cameron has seriously underestimated the movie-going audience. I hated Avatar, so his misfires start there for me.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Nickelodeon
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Retired

I was prompted to watch THE LIGHTHOUSE, thanks to this thread. I can't say as I can give it a passing grade. It wins points for ambition--and I admire the two actors for continuing to do work like this when they could just do Aquaman and Batman movies. But I think it was an artistic experiment that was too clever for its own good. At a certain point, I just couldn't trust anything in the movie so it failed to move me. It was only effective in being grotesque.

I can see that the events in this movie are more like the Smalls Lighthouse mystery--but with some important differences--while THE KEEPERS is more like the Flannan Isles mystery--in the first case the keepers were found and in the second case they vanished. But both movies take place at a period in time that's different from when the actual events took place. Also, the Smalls Lighthouse incident resulted in three keepers being at lighthouses after that (as they are in THE KEEPERS), which should be the case in THE LIGHTHOUSE, as it seems to take place at a much later date.

Early on, I was triggered by the movie--as it brought up bad memories from my days in the navy--so maybe I didn't want to take it too seriously. At a certain point I decided to watch it as though it were outtakes from AQUAMAN. And it dragged on for far too long--I kept looking at the time hoping it would soon be over.

I also watched UGETSU MONOGATARI again (after having mentioned it on another thread)--from 1953, directed by Kenji Mizoguchi. We saw this in one of my film studies classes back in the day. But my memory was very dim. And seeing it again I'm struck by how depressing it is. Like with THE LIGHTHOUSE there's a lot of the story you have to work out for yourself and it's questionable how much is real. But ultimately it's a much more satisfying movie.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

I want my nearly 3 hours back
    Elaborate please. Was it not funny or dramatic. Did Quentin disappoint in what he was trying to display? You know I like Leo as an actor but his movies bore me.

Not a movie but feels like one - watching the BBC serial Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Should finish it up tonight.

Overall it does a good job with its characters and capturing the major happenings of the books. The relationships are better in the series and the acting is incredible.

However the series loses a bit of the sense of the wonder and history of magic that the book portrayed so well. The Thistledown hair guy is menacing enough but he just looks like a regular English guy who has odd eyebrows. His world is bleak looking. Magic feels a bit mundane, as if Norris himself were in charge of set design and costuming. Still a pretty good watch, its brought back good memories of the book.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-27-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not a movie but feels like one - watching the BBC serial Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Should finish it up tonight.

Overall it does a good job with its characters and capturing the major happenings of the books. The relationships are better in the series and the acting is incredible.

However the series loses a bit of the sense of the wonder and history of magic that the book portrayed so well. The Thistledown hair guy is menacing enough but he just looks like a regular English guy who has odd eyebrows. His world is bleak looking. Magic feels a bit mundane, as if Norris himself were in charge of set design and costuming. Still a pretty good watch, its brought back good memories of the book.
    I dug it more than you... also Thoros of Myr ;-))

Invincible Member

Ex Machina. Enjoyed watching it. Very solid.

Ghost Rider. Nicholas Cage playing Elvis playing Evil Knievel.
    The special effects were decent, aside from that it was a pile of turds.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I dug it more than you... also Thoros of Myr ;-))
    Completely steals every scene.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I liked it. I thought the designs were terrific. I didn't expect much from the story, and I didn't get much. There's a fun little thing at the end that I think, for some people, will improve their opinion of what they just watched.

I liked it visually, but I didn't care about anyone in it. No one living or dying meant anything to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There is a lot to like in this movie. I don't know how, but I think a longer runtime might have added to the sense of dread and awe. The premise is pretty cool, as well. I dunno, it just doesn't have that extra oomph for me that movies like "The Day After Tomorrow" or "Knowing" had.

Recently watched: The Invisible Man.

As a movie about an invisible man, which is also a commentary about women who have gone through spousal abuse, i thought this movie was excellent. I had to find out who the director was. Turns out, the director is Leigh Whannell, who played Adam in the first Saw movie.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I also watched Extraction on Netflix. That movie kicked all kinds of ass.
    Last edited by Arfguy; 04-28-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Invincible Member

Tucker and Dale vs Evil Ok. Funnier than I thought it was going to be.

The Florida Project Really good. I actually choked up at the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    Elaborate please. Was it not funny or dramatic. Did Quentin disappoint in what he was trying to display? You know I like Leo as an actor but his movies bore me.
    It bored me. There were some decent acting performances. The setting was authentic enough. But I'm not a big QT fan. I'm neutral on Pitt, generally like Leo, and actually watched the movie for Margot Robbie
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Extraction, good action flick.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Recently watched: The Invisible Man.

As a movie about an invisible man, which is also a commentary about women who have gone through spousal abuse, i thought this movie was excellent. I had to find out who the director was. Turns out, the director is Leigh Whannell, who played Adam in the first Saw movie.
    He also directed BH Tilt's Upgrade and rightfully got himself a gig for more movies in Universal after Invisible Man became a hit.

I'm glad it was the last new live movie I could watch in theaters twice before we all got sent to CORVID-purgatory.