Page 91 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 3111
    Retired

I remember Clooney saying somewhere that being in BATMAN AND ROBIN opened doors for him in Hollywood. By agreeing to be in that movie he proved he could be a movie star (and not simply a T.V. star that did movies).

Fandom kind of forces these actors to dump on those movies, because we want them to hate them as much as we do. But for an actor, what they might remember is how comfortable it was to work on the movie, what the food was like, the people they met. They're not responsible for the finished product, so as long as they have a good time while making the movie that's the important thing.

Conversely, some movies that we cherish as fans, where we want to hear how glorious it was to make the movie, could be films that bring back horrible memories for the actors--and they have to put on a happy face for the sake of the fans and suppress the trauma they experienced.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I remember Clooney saying somewhere that being in BATMAN AND ROBIN opened doors for him in Hollywood. By agreeing to be in that movie he proved he could be a movie star (and not simply a T.V. star that did movies).

Fandom kind of forces these actors to dump on those movies, because we want them to hate them as much as we do. But for an actor, what they might remember is how comfortable it was to work on the movie, what the food was like, the people they met. They're not responsible for the finished product, so as long as they have a good time while making the movie that's the important thing.

Conversely, some movies that we cherish as fans, where we want to hear how glorious it was to make the movie, could be films that bring back horrible memories for the actors--and they have to put on a happy face for the sake of the fans and suppress the trauma they experienced.
    This kinda brings to mind Sal Buscema/Bill Mantlo Hulk crossroads run. While not a movie it's one of my fav Hulk runs of all. I was really surprised to find out Buscema and Mantlo did not get along at all. Buscema in fact really disliked working with Mantlo and had a lot of negative experience working with him.

Extraordinary Member

Artemis Fowl. Not a bad movie some cool fantasy stuff going on. I do think the character was a little to young to be pulling all that off. It didn't really make him look so impressive just the ppl he was up against less so. But some cool visuals down for a rewatch.

Retired

THE DINNER PARTY (2020), directed by Miles Doleac. Since this is a low budget horror movie, it has a lot of flaws. And it seems unfair to point those out--there were other bits that I really enjoyed. It does take a few turns and a spoiler near the end doesn't really hold up for me, given everything else that happens before it. With these kinds of gaps in logic, I have a rule. If you have time in the movie to think about them, then that's a mistake. But if you don't think about them until after the movie is over, then that's perfectly okay in my book. The problem with the end of this movie is that I had a lot of time still to think about the spoiler and why it doesn't hold up, before the credits rolled. If the director had gotten out on this final reveal, I would have allowed it.

AD ASTRA, I am not sure what to think. I appreciate the effort. I liked the world they lived in more than the story they told.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

THE DINNER PARTY (2020), directed by Miles Doleac. Since this is a low budget horror movie, it has a lot of flaws. And it seems unfair to point those out--there were other bits that I really enjoyed. It does take a few turns and a spoiler near the end doesn't really hold up for me, given everything else that happens before it. With these kinds of gaps in logic, I have a rule. If you have time in the movie to think about them, then that's a mistake. But if you don't think about them until after the movie is over, then that's perfectly okay in my book. The problem with the end of this movie is that I had a lot of time still to think about the spoiler and why it doesn't hold up, before the credits rolled. If the director had gotten out on this final reveal, I would have allowed it.
    You’re next...ready or not ...or the invitation did it so much better in regards to dinner party horror

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    You’re next...ready or not ...or the invitation did it so much better in regards to dinner party horror
    It seemed like the kind of story that could have been done (and nearly has been done) for INSIDE NO. 9--and that British anthology series is usually only half an hour per episode.

Shaolin Soccer. I had never watched this movie in its entirety. It was a lot of fun.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not great Tarantino, but very watchable.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not great Tarantino, but very watchable.
    As I said before about ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD, I felt like I was living in 1969 again when I saw that movie. I was just a kid back then and I didn't live in Southern California, but the movie was about as accurate to the time as any movie I've seen.

For a fan of Jack Kirby, you should be able to appreciate that this is exactly when the King moved to Southern California with his family--to be near Hollywood and for the sake of his daughter's health. Everything in Tarantino's movie was stuff Jack would have been living through. He'd probably identify with Rick Dalton.

As I said before about ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD, I felt like I was living in 1969 again when I saw that movie. I was just a kid back then and I didn't live in Southern California, but the movie was about as accurate to the time as any movie I've seen.

For a fan of Jack Kirby, you should be able to appreciate that this is exactly when the King moved to Southern California with his family--to be near Hollywood and for the sake of his daughter's health. Everything in Tarantino's movie was stuff Jack would have been living through. He'd probably identify with Rick Dalton.
    I lived there about 8 years later, and it did feel right. As I said it was very watchable. Yes, except for the climax, it was much more a slice of life of that period. Not great Tarantino, but that's not meant to be derogatory. Very good Tarantino is still very good.
    I

Django Unchained. I felt like watching this movie again. I had watched it a long time ago and remember liking it a lot. I liked it a lot the second time around, too. I remember talking with my friend and we were discussing what was Leonardo DiCaprio's best role and I said it was the Departed. My friend contested that he felt DiCaprio as Candie was pretty far removed and he was really good in it. After watching it, I have to agree. If I had to give the Oscar for Leo's best role, I think it was from Django rather than the Revenant.

Artificial Intelligence. I remember loving everything about this movie, until the end. Recently, I read something that made me want to revisit the movie, especially the ending. I watched it and I maintain the ending is a miss for a great build up.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Invincible Member

Mud starring Matthew McConaughey. Solid film. The two boy were excellent in their roles. I didn't even recognize Sam Shepard at first. Reese Witherspoon was criminally underused in the film.

A Star Is Born (1954). Directed by George Cukor. I’ve seen Gaga’s version and Streisand’s version. Now that I’ve checked out this Judy Garland/James Mason version, I’ve only got one left (the original).

This was the three-hour long “restoration” release—where some of the cut scenes (quite a few actually) were recreated using only stills taken on set and the audio track of the actors speaking. The movie still works, despite this. Mason, as the charming and volatile alcoholic movie star, gives a fine performance, as does Garland, but she looks too old (32 at the time, yet appearing older) for me to believe that any studio would sign her to a contract and give her the star-making treatment, no matter how well she could sing. Jack Carson, one of my favorite Golden Age of Hollywood supporting players, is also on hand. He’s always great as the wisecracking type of dubious character.

It’s a pretty believable look at movie-making (Garland’s age aside) and an effective take on the old rising star/falling star romance. Some of Garland’s musical numbers go on too long and I can see why studio heads pulled out the scissors.

Better than Streisand, about neck and neck with Lady Gaga.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-17-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Retired

Not a movie but a series, I binged all of the Home Box Office WATCHMEN on Saturday. Because of the connection with Tulsa, I wanted to see it now. While I like it I have a few quibbles. One is that Robert Redford didn't appear in it (I thought he would and kept expecting that). I think that real white supremacists wouldn't go to such lengths to cover up their true beliefs--they can't wait to tell people what they really think, even if it's in coded language. While the series is a good story on its own, I don't think that Alan Moore would have ever told such a story--and it seems opportunistic to say it's "WATCHMEN." While I understand that Alan Moore doesn't want his name in the credits, it still bugged me that they couldn't state a plane fact in the credits--that the comic book series WATCHMEN is by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. If we have to change the bald truth for the sake of creative differences, then that threatens our knowing obvious facts.