Page 92 of 204 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 3051
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Inside Llewyn Davis might not be my favourite Coen movie but I enjoyed it much more than some years ago when I first watched it for its many layers and themes. A down on his luck (folk) musician struggling with his career and personal relationships.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not a movie but a series, I binged all of the Home Box Office WATCHMEN on Saturday. Because of the connection with Tulsa, I wanted to see it now. While I like it I have a few quibbles. One is that Robert Redford didn't appear in it (I thought he would and kept expecting that). I think that real white supremacists wouldn't go to such lengths to cover up their true beliefs--they can't wait to tell people what they really think, even if it's in coded language. While the series is a good story on its own, I don't think that Alan Moore would have ever told such a story--and it seems opportunistic to say it's "WATCHMEN." While I understand that Alan Moore doesn't want his name in the credits, it still bugged me that they couldn't state a plane fact in the credits--that the comic book series WATCHMEN is by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. If we have to change the bald truth for the sake of creative differences, then that threatens our knowing obvious facts.
    The person to blame is Alan. He actively has his name removed from any film adaptations of his works. If you've seen the Marvel Comics reprints of his Miracle Man stuff, he refused to have his name on those supposedly cuz he thinks they ripped him of like 40 yrs ago.

Sniper: Assassin's end.

A fun action movie.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The person to blame is Alan. He actively has his name removed from any film adaptations of his works. If you've seen the Marvel Comics reprints of his Miracle Man stuff, he refused to have his name on those supposedly cuz he thinks they ripped him of like 40 yrs ago.
    Yup. I kinda knew this before watching WATCHMEN, but then I looked it up on the internet to get all the details. I understand that it's his request. But it's still wrong in my mind to change facts--then they aren't facts anymore. There should be some way to indicate who the true authors of the comic book were, while still respecting Alan Moore's desires.* If we start editing the truth, then we are not living in reality.

*Even if there was a footnote buried in the credits that directed the viewer to a website where the whole issue was discussed, that would be fine by me.

Retired

A SIMPLE PLAN (1998), directed by Sam Raimi, starring Bill Paxton, Bridget Fonda and Billy Bob Thornton. This is quite a pessimistic movie. Billy Bob plays a character who is just so off-putting that I could never have any sympathy for him, even though his back story ought to make him sympathetic. While it seems like the late Bill Paxton was cast for his innocent appearance--so we'll root for him, even though he might be the most corrupt person in the movie (either him or his wife).

This makes me wonder about Sam Raimi. He's had some dark movies and television shows, but I always thought that was just superficial, not to be taken seriously, and that down deep he's an optimistic person. But now I wonder if he has a very negative view of humanity. This movie is the sort the 1% could use to argue that the 99% are simply potential criminals and not deserving of any compassion.

Black Panther. It was out Juneteenth movie night. Still a great flick, still makes me tear up in several places. Loved, loved MBJ's performance as Killmonger.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not a movie but a series, I binged all of the Home Box Office WATCHMEN on Saturday. Because of the connection with Tulsa, I wanted to see it now. While I like it I have a few quibbles. One is that Robert Redford didn't appear in it (I thought he would and kept expecting that). I think that real white supremacists wouldn't go to such lengths to cover up their true beliefs--they can't wait to tell people what they really think, even if it's in coded language. While the series is a good story on its own, I don't think that Alan Moore would have ever told such a story--and it seems opportunistic to say it's "WATCHMEN." While I understand that Alan Moore doesn't want his name in the credits, it still bugged me that they couldn't state a plane fact in the credits--that the comic book series WATCHMEN is by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. If we have to change the bald truth for the sake of creative differences, then that threatens our knowing obvious facts.
    No way Alan Moore would like anything to do with his properties being expanded upon, but I have to say that the Watchmen show surprised the Hell out of me. This was one of those instances where I was judging the book by it's cover and didn't want to give it a shot.

Then I started hearing nothing but praise and I decided I'll check it out and man, am I glad I did. I thought it was fantastic. I'm also ok if we don't get any more episodes, as I felt the show ended in a lot of ways like the comic ended: on a kind of a cliffhanger.

I was extremely happy with how the show was executed.

A SIMPLE PLAN (1998), directed by Sam Raimi, starring Bill Paxton, Bridget Fonda and Billy Bob Thornton. This is quite a pessimistic movie. Billy Bob plays a character who is just so off-putting that I could never have any sympathy for him, even though his back story ought to make him sympathetic. While it seems like the late Bill Paxton was cast for his innocent appearance--so we'll root for him, even though he might be the most corrupt person in the movie (either him or his wife).

This makes me wonder about Sam Raimi. He's had some dark movies and television shows, but I always thought that was just superficial, not to be taken seriously, and that down deep he's an optimistic person. But now I wonder if he has a very negative view of humanity. This movie is the sort the 1% could use to argue that the 99% are simply potential criminals and not deserving of any compassion.
    When I watched this movie, years ago on DVD when Blockbuster was still a thing...I could not believe this was a Raimi movie. I loved it. I have a feeling that movies like these are going to become rare, maybe even a forgotten style of movie. I don't know how to describe it, but I get the feeling that movies like these are going to stop being made.

Good stuff.

EDIT:

Whoops, forgot about why I came onto this thread in the first place. Recently watched:

Sphere and Armageddon
    Last edited by Arfguy; 06-23-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    No way Alan Moore would like anything to do with his properties being expanded upon, but I have to say that the Watchmen show surprised the Hell out of me. This was one of those instances where I was judging the book by it's cover and didn't want to give it a shot.

Then I started hearing nothing but praise and I decided I'll check it out and man, am I glad I did. I thought it was fantastic. I'm also ok if we don't get any more episodes, as I felt the show ended in a lot of ways like the comic ended: on a kind of a cliffhanger.

I was extremely happy with how the show was executed.

When I watched this movie, years ago on DVD when Blockbuster was still a thing...I could not believe this was a Raimi movie. I loved it. I have a feeling that movies like these are going to become rare, maybe even a forgotten style of movie. I don't know how to describe it, but I get the feeling that movies like these are going to stop being made.

Good stuff.

EDIT:

Whoops, forgot about why I came onto this thread in the first place. Recently watched:

Sphere and Armageddon
    Man now I have to watch this

Django Unchained. I felt like watching this movie again. I had watched it a long time ago and remember liking it a lot. I liked it a lot the second time around, too. I remember talking with my friend and we were discussing what was Leonardo DiCaprio's best role and I said it was the Departed. My friend contested that he felt DiCaprio as Candie was pretty far removed and he was really good in it. After watching it, I have to agree. If I had to give the Oscar for Leo's best role, I think it was from Django rather than the Revenant.
    I agree, for me DiCaprio's best work is:
    1. Django Unchained
    2. the Wolf of Wallstreet
    3. Inception

Controversial, I know.

Artificial Intelligence. I remember loving everything about this movie, until the end. Recently, I read something that made me want to revisit the movie, especially the ending. I watched it and I maintain the ending is a miss for a great build up.
    Jude Law is FANTASTIC! While I applaud Spielberg for getting very dark with it; I keep thinking about the fact Kubrick original had the rights and was going to make the film. IMAGINE what he would have done.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Wife and I watched Batman Returns last night.

BANNED

Since it's the 20th anniversary, I just finished re-watching Gladiator. It really reminded me of why I loved the film so much and why it had such a visceral effect on me. True notion of what heroism is about. Just doing your duty not grandstanding, or selfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    Man now I have to watch this
    Watchmen or A Simple Plan? Can't go wrong with either, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I agree, for me DiCaprio's best work is:
    1. Django Unchained
    2. the Wolf of Wallstreet
    3. Inception

Controversial, I know.

Jude Law is FANTASTIC! While I applaud Spielberg for getting very dark with it; I keep thinking about the fact Kubrick original had the rights and was going to make the film. IMAGINE what he would have done.
    LOL...oh yeah, real controversial

I don't know if I can argue with that list. Seems solid.

As far as Kubrick on A.I. ? Not sure. I don't think I've ever watched a Kubrick movie. Not a Clockwork Orange, not 2001: A Space Odyssey (which I have queued up, but haven't found the time to watch it), not the Shining. None of it.

I don't know when I'll get a chance, but I think I need to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Since it's the 20th anniversary, I just finished re-watching Gladiator. It really reminded me of why I loved the film so much and why it had such a visceral effect on me. True notion of what heroism is about. Just doing your duty not grandstanding, or selfishness.
    Love this movie. Love it. It's perfection, IMO.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

You need to watch EVERY Kubrick film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You need to watch EVERY Kubrick film.
    Is that you Christopher Nolan?