Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For the old dub, I really only somewhat like the actors for Asuka and Misato. Tiffany Grant as Asuka doesn't sound like a teenager the way Yuko Miyamura can, but she still has a lot of clear passion for the role that carries over to her performance which I can respect. The rest are pretty meh though, especially the flat deliveries in the original EOE dub and the infamous dialogue changes (the flub about Adam's connection to Lilith, "Hit 'em again!," "I'm so fucked up.")

Subs definitely are not for everyone, but I always advise people to give the original cast a shot if they are willing. It's a personal work for the creator and that is the cast he picked and directed personally, so it seems more appropriate IMO. And the entire cast is great, especially Megumi Ogata as Shinji.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Today I will start watching Neon Genesis Evangelion which I have never seen before. It'll be an interesting watch and nice to check it off the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    Eva’s one of those that every serious anime fan should watch at some point, IMO. It’s a really historic and influential piece of art.

Don’t forget to watch End of Eva after the series, too!
    Yes, End of Eva is a must ("Death" is a recap, albeit one that is put together in an interesting way, but can be skipped). It replaces episode 25 and 26, both of which were made on the fly when the budget ran out and they had to abandon the plot for some artistic abstract exploration of the themes. I'd recommend watching them at least once, though for my rewatches I usually go right from episode 24 to EOE.

They're not on Netflix, but after the original series I'd recommend the new films, which are a remake that branch off into a new direction and add new characters. The last film is FINALLY scheduled to come out next year after a 8 year gap. We are getting the first ten minutes released next week:

https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/st...vageeks.org%2F

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Been reading some of the Evangelion wiki lately and it seems like a lot of stuff explaining the Angels backstory and purpose was kind of removed from the series or kept vague/replaced with symbolism. Almost seems a lot like 2001 or Prometheus, the whole aliens giving evolution/humans etc. a little 'push'..
    Yeah, a lot of it is in info dumps or in "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" scenes.
    spoilers:
    Misato's dialogue in EOE explains what Adam and Lilith are and what the Angels' agenda was, and episode 21 explains briefly that the Geo-Fronts where the vessels Adam and Lilith came in: the White Moon in Antarctica and the Black Moon in Japan respectively. Someone, I believe it is Gendo, says they are "clearly artificial and not created by mankind," which is the only mention of the First Ancestral Race we get.
    end of spoilers

Ah, yes, the Rebuilds. Good to know they’re finishing out; I held off on them since they weren’t fully released.

Meanwhile, I finished rewatching White Album 2 after spending 4 years recovering from the first time. Lord have mercy on my heart...

Having done so, I might have to bump it up above Violet Evergarden in the feels department; for me, the music and characters are so beautifully done in that anime. I’ll definitely play the VN someday if & whenever they finally translate it.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched the debut episode of Fire Force last night, and it was absolutely incredible! Just one episode in and it's already replaced the rebooted Fruits Basket as my top show of the 2019 spring/summer season!

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Watched the debut episode of Fire Force last night, and it was absolutely incredible! Just one episode in and it's already replaced the rebooted Fruits Basket as my top show of the 2019 spring/summer season!
    Second episode is a bit slower, both in animation and action. But it's because it handles the darker and more somber aspects of the world.

But it also introduces Arthur and Arthur is great.

Also, I kinda love the opening. It's fairly generic for shounen show, but it is the good kind of generic.

Like, that's just a solid intro.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

Even a place as safe as japan there are insane people. My hearts and prayers go out to everyone.

This is the studio that did lucky star, k-on, clanned, haruhi suzumiya and helped make tenchi.

Sounds like the guy behind it felt like he had his work stolen, which while horrible if true, doesn't give you the goddamn right to murder innocent people for revenge. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Sounds like the guy behind it felt like he had his work stolen, which while horrible if true, doesn't give you the goddamn right to murder innocent people for revenge. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.
    Even if it's true, he still got a lot of people who wouldn't have even known about it, and likely left the person actually responsible alive. The need for vengeance makes one stupid, as well as a monster.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

There's no true telling what a loss this is just from a creative standpoint as a fan, of all the ideas or characters or entire series we've lost now that could have been. But more than just an anime fan, this is simply cruel because people died. And so cruelly, I can't even imagine the pain of being burned alive, or to choke to death from the smoke inhalation. It's denying the families of the victims even the mere hope that it was either quick or painless. Arson like this has to be one of the vilest crimes ever devised by mankind. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and I pray the one responsible pays for it for the rest of his life.

Netflix's Saint Seiya adaptation came out...two episodes in...not terrible
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

That's terrible. I feel bad for everyone there, including the arsonist.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

My new goofy pleasure: How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift?

That one is a lot of fun, and the workout tidbits it gives actually happen to be true. The ANN reviewer even looked up the part on stretching and was surprised at it, but it was true as well.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Is anyone else following the workout schedule it gives every week?
    Doing a plank is hard.

Edit: Btw, I remember another workout with cute girls anime from a few years ago, only that one was a 3-5 minute short series. Would like to rewatch that one but can't remember the name - anyone know it?
    Last edited by Vakanai; 07-20-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Been on a magical girls shows rampage lately.

Madoka, Sugar Sugar Rune and even some good ol' Cardcaptor Sakura.

Madoka has some good ideas and concepts. One could easily make a pretty cool movie out of that stuff. (hell, you can even replace the magical girls element by something else)