Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1060
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar

So, recently watched Mairimashita! Iruma-kun, and I got hooked enough to binge the manga to the latest chapter. Its really a fun comedy/supernatural series. Interesting characters, the protagonist actually goes through a lot of development, and even in the more serious moments, there's always a well placed gag. There's a tiny bit of fanservice, but that's it. Its mostly comedy, supernatural (takes place in the underworld after all), and action.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My latest slice of life favorite: Diary Of Our Days At The Breakwater, a cute and funny show about an introverted high school who moves to a seashore town and winds up in her school's fishing club. The show is streaming on the Funimation channel.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I think Jujutsu Kaisen is going to be the next gateway anime hit. It's vibe is similar to bleach before bleach went off the rails. Female characters are good. No annoying romance.

Chainsawman could be a huge hit if it's adapted well too.
    OP characters make me itch

Toho's been promoting the hell out of it
    Hope it pays off well

They need to release the ost for this trailer

Why did they have to make Rin the mother Sessh kid though

Extraordinary Member

Finished A Certain Scientific Railgun season 3 now and I have some mixed opinions. Beware unmarked spoilers below. EDIT: Actually, I spoil a lot here (I had a lot I wanted to say I guess) so spoiler tags up just in case.

Overall it's really good and there are several moments that had me grinning just from how much I was enjoying the show. But there are a few specific issue I had.

spoilers:
    First up, there's way too little of Kuroko, Uiharu and Saten being majorly involved with either of the seasons two major storylines. There are narrative reasons for it and they do each get a mini story in the middle. But I miss the contrast of the four girls hanging out and doing regular school girl stuff one moment and them solving super crimes and saving the city with their varying levels of power and social skills the next. That and their interactions are what made me fall in love with the series to begin with. The second season at least had a filler arc where they all got to shine after being pushed to the side during the Sisters arc.

I didn't care for the climax of the festival arc. That's because level 5.1-6 Misaka wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped she'd be when the concept was first introduced. She just did the same stuff that she usually does, just a bit bigger than noraml and less care for her surroundings. It doesn't help that her two opponents were Toma and the 7th ranked guy whose name I'm blanking on right now. Against Toma every power is basically the same (because nobody can ever hit anything besides his stupid right hand and he's like semi-impervious to rubble being tossed his way) and I have no reference for how strong the 7th ranked dude is, so neither of them gave a good indication of her supposedly increased strength. Her opponent should've been Accelerator. That's a strong foe she's gone up against before so seeing how her increased power matched up against his strength (which is on a timer but no less OP when it's activated) now would be interesting, and the narrative of Misaka's berserker rage being focused on Accelerator for all he did to the sisters would be deliciously dramatic. It wouldn't work due to where Accelerator where in terms of his narrative arc over at Index at this point. But it would've been more interesting I think.

I also didn't care how Misaka lost all of her agency because of the transformation and Toma got to take the spotlight in the series again to save her and then arc wrapped up without Misaka getting to resolve anything by her own hand. That was annoying in the previous season and it was annoying here too.

Misaki is an interesting character and I liked how her confrontation with Gensei played out and how her story was gradually revealed throughout the first half of the season. The last episode of the festival arc where she and Kozaku got to reunite with Dolly (kinda) was super heartwarming and one of those moment that made me smile a lot. But there were no consquences for her erasing Misaka from her friend's memories. I get why she did and it worked out in the end. But it's just so cruel and either somebody should've slugged her in the face or she should've apologised for doing it. And I don't like that she gave them altered memories. Let them recall the whole thing as it happened bitch!

Now for the good stuff.

I really enjoyed the opening and middle part of the festival arc. They had a lot of the elements I like the most with the show. A sense of an escalating threat and interesting mysteries mixed in really with a big school life part. The part with Misaka's friends forgetting their friendship with her was super engaging (in a sad way) and a great that didn't play out as I'd hope but oh well. I actually really enjoyed the dynamic Misaka had with forgetful Kuroko falling for her all over again. And holy shit, Kongou rocked in her parts, being a great friend and kicking ass and being overall great. Same for her two friends.

The second major story with Doppelganger was a lot of fun with an interesting main antagonist. The Scavenger group were a surprisingly enjoyable addition, I thought that they were just going to be disposable mini-bosses, but their interactions were really engaging, Leader played off super well with Misaka and the whole idea of a down on their luck underground team doing their best in a situation where they're in over their heads was just super fun to watch. Misaka's big showdown with Doppelganger was just flipping cool from start to finish. And the ending was pretty darn neat.

Saten's side-story with Frenda was really cute and then super sad when I remember what happens to Frenda.
    end of spoilers

So overall, I really enjoyed the season except for a few specific things. It's about on par with season 2. Neither of the can touch or even get close to season 1 of course.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 10-01-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Noblesse interests me:

Other fall shows I'm eager to watch (in alphabetical order):

Attack On Titan, final season
    Burn The Witch
    Is The Order A Rabbit: Bloom
    Iwakakeru: Sport Climbing Girls
    Strike Witches: Road To Berlin
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-02-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Finished A Certain Scientific Railgun season 3 now and I have some mixed opinions. Beware unmarked spoilers below. EDIT: Actually, I spoil a lot here (I had a lot I wanted to say I guess) so spoiler tags up just in case.

Overall it's really good and there are several moments that had me grinning just from how much I was enjoying the show. But there are a few specific issue I had.

spoilers:
    First up, there's way too little of Kuroko, Uiharu and Saten being majorly involved with either of the seasons two major storylines. There are narrative reasons for it and they do each get a mini story in the middle. But I miss the contrast of the four girls hanging out and doing regular school girl stuff one moment and them solving super crimes and saving the city with their varying levels of power and social skills the next. That and their interactions are what made me fall in love with the series to begin with. The second season at least had a filler arc where they all got to shine after being pushed to the side during the Sisters arc.

I didn't care for the climax of the festival arc. That's because level 5.1-6 Misaka wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped she'd be when the concept was first introduced. She just did the same stuff that she usually does, just a bit bigger than noraml and less care for her surroundings. It doesn't help that her two opponents were Toma and the 7th ranked guy whose name I'm blanking on right now. Against Toma every power is basically the same (because nobody can ever hit anything besides his stupid right hand and he's like semi-impervious to rubble being tossed his way) and I have no reference for how strong the 7th ranked dude is, so neither of them gave a good indication of her supposedly increased strength. Her opponent should've been Accelerator. That's a strong foe she's gone up against before so seeing how her increased power matched up against his strength (which is on a timer but no less OP when it's activated) now would be interesting, and the narrative of Misaka's berserker rage being focused on Accelerator for all he did to the sisters would be deliciously dramatic. It wouldn't work due to where Accelerator where in terms of his narrative arc over at Index at this point. But it would've been more interesting I think.

I also didn't care how Misaka lost all of her agency because of the transformation and Toma got to take the spotlight in the series again to save her and then arc wrapped up without Misaka getting to resolve anything by her own hand. That was annoying in the previous season and it was annoying here too.

Misaki is an interesting character and I liked how her confrontation with Gensei played out and how her story was gradually revealed throughout the first half of the season. The last episode of the festival arc where she and Kozaku got to reunite with Dolly (kinda) was super heartwarming and one of those moment that made me smile a lot. But there were no consquences for her erasing Misaka from her friend's memories. I get why she did and it worked out in the end. But it's just so cruel and either somebody should've slugged her in the face or she should've apologised for doing it. And I don't like that she gave them altered memories. Let them recall the whole thing as it happened bitch!

Now for the good stuff.

I really enjoyed the opening and middle part of the festival arc. They had a lot of the elements I like the most with the show. A sense of an escalating threat and interesting mysteries mixed in really with a big school life part. The part with Misaka's friends forgetting their friendship with her was super engaging (in a sad way) and a great that didn't play out as I'd hope but oh well. I actually really enjoyed the dynamic Misaka had with forgetful Kuroko falling for her all over again. And holy shit, Kongou rocked in her parts, being a great friend and kicking ass and being overall great. Same for her two friends.

The second major story with Doppelganger was a lot of fun with an interesting main antagonist. The Scavenger group were a surprisingly enjoyable addition, I thought that they were just going to be disposable mini-bosses, but their interactions were really engaging, Leader played off super well with Misaka and the whole idea of a down on their luck underground team doing their best in a situation where they're in over their heads was just super fun to watch. Misaka's big showdown with Doppelganger was just flipping cool from start to finish. And the ending was pretty darn neat.

Saten's side-story with Frenda was really cute and then super sad when I remember what happens to Frenda.
    end of spoilers

So overall, I really enjoyed the season except for a few specific things. It's about on par with season 2. Neither of the can touch or even get close to season 1 of course.
    Followed the manga for Railgun for a good while until it stopped being updated/translated. It was pretty good, but it did deviate from the girls after a certain point.

Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar

"Moon Color Chainon" Short ver./Momoiro Clover Z!

Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!

~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    "Moon Color Chainon" Short ver./Momoiro Clover Z!

I like the art style

Extraordinary Member

First episode of Jujutsu Kaisen was a lot of fun. Same with Tonikawa: Over the moon for you, for completely different reasons.

And Burn the Witch was just all around great. I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't animate the pilot chapter though. Besides that everything was awesome.

And we have a proper teaser for the next season of My Hero Academia, which will start airing next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Followed the manga for Railgun for a good while until it stopped being updated/translated. It was pretty good, but it did deviate from the girls after a certain point.
    I'm currently catching up to the manga since I realized that I wouldn't see these characters for quite some time now. The site I'm reading is up to date on the chapters and the other three main girls are getting some much needed love in the current arc.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

IIRC Saten Ruiko was promoted in status during the first railgun anime, so I'm not surprised that the Manga started to include her more in later arcs after the anime established her popularity.