Page 63 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Has anyone else watched Bleach? I'm on Season 4 and the pacing for this series is so off that I find it difficult to get into and watch more than one episode at a time. There is backstories for everyone and flashback episodes. Our main character runs past the pizza delivery guy and now an entire episode will be based on him and who he is delivering that pizza to. (And don't even get me started on the Mumu storyline from seasons 2 and 3).

Can I expect more of the same or does he get an editor who says, "Hey, let's cut this boring crap out."
    Bleach's anime filler broke me and I say that as a Dragonball Z fan.

It's way worse than Naruto Shippuden. At least some of that filler was comedy and genuinely funny on top of it.

One of the best shows to do filler to me is fairy tail. They bring back people and bad guys from early stories and flesh them out. There is even a full huge storyline that was not from the manga and they finish up some plots the manga left hanging. People who never read the manga are surprised when they find out some of the filler episodes are not from the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    One of the best shows to do filler to me is fairy tail. They bring back people and bad guys from early stories and flesh them out. There is even a full huge storyline that was not from the manga and they finish up some plots the manga left hanging. People who never read the manga are surprised when they find out some of the filler episodes are not from the manga.
    True, I watched Fairy Tail as well. They also had some filler episodes and they were done well.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Ultimate Member

Love Fairy Tail, always have been a Natsu/Erza fan...anyway yeah the filler episodes were fun, also always loved many of the Natsu and Happy moments, and when they got back to the Guild after the whole Tower of Heaven thing and Natsu was upset because he didn't like change, despite being almost 500 years old...

Extraordinary Member

I actually enjoy a lot of the Bleach filler. They were often at least fun and explored big ideas to their fullest. Naruto usually just did weird shit that was often just weird for the sake of being weird. Not that Bleach didn't have filler episodes like that. The long filler arcs were often really entertaing though.

And I'm absolutely in the minority for, but I always thought it was funny that they had to interrupt an ongoing arc twice to just jump into a competely different story and poked fun at it in skits shown at the end of the episode. I appreciated the candour about the situation and just accepted it because I understood the challenge they were facing.

Also, there are several filler fights in Bleach that are just super cool.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Yeah, Bleach filler is more palatable if it could slot into the story easier, but they just didn't get that option and I'm sure it frustrated the anime staff just as much. I also enjoyed the fact that characters broke the fourth wall about this; in particular the one where Ulquiorra just walks away from his fight with Ichigo because they won't be able to come back to it for a while.

At least the Thousand Year Blood Year arc won't have that problem. But I also hope they give it a decent episode count and don't truncate it like InuYasha: The Final Act did with the last 100 chapters of InuYasha.

My Hero Academia has had a few episodes that can be qualified as filler.

There is the recap episode to start each new season, Froppy's internship, and that episode that pulled double duty to set up the first movie and also be part of a charity theme the station that plays it in Japan does every year.

I think that outside of Froppy's internship episode, the rest are all mandated by the studio.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

MHA has the advantage of using the new model of having a 20-something episode season then getting to take a break for a year. This ensures the anime is not in any risk of overtaking the manga.

Naruto and Bleach show their age in that sense. Even not counting filler, the way canon events can be dragged out to ensure the anime will not catch up to the manga could be super annoying some times. Nowadays, I think only Boruto and Black Clover have that 'Yeah, the studio is clearly trying to make time.'
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Also looks like howls moving castle returns to the movies and drive in july 12! More studio ghibili the better!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Naruto and Bleach show their age in that sense. Even not counting filler, the way canon events can be dragged out to ensure the anime will not catch up to the manga could be super annoying some times. Nowadays, I think only Boruto and Black Clover have that 'Yeah, the studio is clearly trying to make time.'
    Don't forget about One Piece, which is seemingly eternal and can tend to drag things out anime-wise for that same reason.

I think Dragon Ball Super also did this to some externt, despite not having a manga series to follow.

The case closed blu-ray gives you art for both "case closed" and "detective conan" names!

From blu-ray.com.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also saw the movie. As they say it's the first few episodes redone in todays animation. But what they didn't say is it has tons more things. The first episode stuff does not ever start till 30 min into the movie and no turning into conan till over a hour and 20 min! It has tons of characters that don't even show up till later seasons and show more what they are doing in the first episodes events. Even going into the little pre mystery at the start of the first episode. If you like the side cast you will love this.

Great movie! Have not watched the dub yet so can't comment on it yet.

Someone posted a look at the blu-ray. Our first one on youtube. No clue who the reviewer is. (also he kind of harsh to the movie. I liked it more myself.)

Edit---

Zero the Enforcer movie Blu-ray releasing 9/29 from Discotek!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Case-...lu-ray/272081/

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-01-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Finishing Gundam: The Origin, it's interesting that, like many other prequels (Star Wars, Alien etc), it doesn't exactly match up 100% with the original series (Details such as the Guntank and Guncannon already being active prior to the series, although given that Gundam has retconned the design evolution of the mobile suits so many times it's not surprising). However, I think in this case it can be excused because it's based on a manga that was largely another adaptation of the original show in it's entirety, although the anime simply decided to just do the parts before the Gundam is activated.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Watched that Captain Tsubasa reboot show recently.

The original show was kinda a big deal for any boy who grew up during the 80's, who enjoyed football and of course lived in a area in which it was aired.

It's kinda amazing now that i think of it cause it first aired in Japan in 83 and it was already on tv in France, dubbed and all, not even 2 or 3 years after that. Same with Dragonball and Hokuto no Ken. (in the last case the dubbing is pretty infamous cause for avoid censure they dubbed it in a silly, funny way)

Anyway, i like the new show fine. Good stuff. Makes me hyped for the upcoming console game to be released in august.

Extraordinary Member

Fire Force season 2 has started. I almost forgot it was time for that.

We get a cool filler battle that reintroduces the main cast followed by one of the odder manga chapters that's probably better to just get done.

I love this awesome and super weird series.