Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Heartfilia or a different Lucy?
    Heartfilia. I can't think of another Lucy she played.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I recently finished the last season of Jojo Bizarre Adventures, it was pretty good, David Production keeps doing a great job as i come to expect from then, there is some flaws in the writings, but overall is a great actions series with likable characters and enjoyable villains, kind of disappointing that Giorno being Dio's son didn't matter much in the overall plot and that Diavolo although not bad, is just not as cool as Kira or Dio.
    Yeah, the most relevancy the Dio connection had was explaining Giorno's Stand cry's. It didn't even come up when he met Polnareff.

Diavolo was probably not as flamboyant or hammy as other JoJo villains (even with his outfit), but he more then makes up for it with the cold and cruel efficiency with which he takes main characters out. Made what Giorno did to him all the more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Heartfilia. I can't think of another Lucy she played.

Yeah, the most relevancy the Dio connection had was explaining Giorno's Stand cry's. It didn't even come up when he met Polnareff.

Diavolo was probably not as flamboyant or hammy as other JoJo villains (even with his outfit), but he more then makes up for it with the cold and cruel efficiency with which he takes main characters out. Made what Giorno did to him all the more fitting.
    To be fair, Polnareff was more worried about killing Diavolo so i think that is understandable that he didn't brought on (also his destiny at the end of the part definitely make the title of the series proud lol).

Is not that i didn't enjoy it him, he is good threat and genuinely creepy, his first encounter with Bucciariti in Venezia was among my favorite moment, i even think that the criticism against him is mostly undeserved (hell his stand isn't even that hard to comprehend), is just that he has a tough competition, he does feel unique in his own way though and his final is certainly a fitting one for such bastard.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

To be fair, Polnareff was more worried about killing Diavolo so i think that is understandable that he didn't brought on (also his destiny at the end of the part definitely make the title of the series proud lol).

Is not that i didn't enjoy it him, he is good threat and genuinely creepy, his first encounter with Bucciariti in Venezia was among my favorite moment, i even think that the criticism against him is mostly undeserved (hell his stand isn't even that hard to comprehend), is just that he has a tough competition, he does feel unique in his own way though and his final is certainly a fitting one for such bastard.
    I remember Manga fans talking about how hard it was to understand what King Crimson does, even to the point where there's a meme for it, so I'm glad the anime made it as presentable as they did .

I also thought it was amusing that they had Diavolo voiced by the same person who voiced Jonathan in that failed Phantom Blood movie.

I remember Manga fans talking about how hard it was to understand what King Crimson does, even to the point where there's a meme for it, so I'm glad the anime made it as presentable as they did .

I also thought it was amusing that they had Diavolo voiced by the same person who voiced Jonathan in that failed Phantom Blood movie.
    How to forget the "It just work", i haven't read the manga, so i don't know how different the adaptation is, beyond giving more screen time to La Squadra (wich i ended liking more than i expected), but yeah, glad that the adaption fix that part if it actually was a problem.

Wow, didn't catch that. I wonder how bad that movie was that Araki didn't want to see it distributed, sadly we may never know.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

How to forget the "It just work", i haven't read the manga, so i don't know how different the adaptation is, beyond giving more screen time to La Squadra (wich i ended liking more than i expected), but yeah, glad that the adaption fix that part if it actually was a problem.
    Was that the official name for the Assassination team?
    Wow, didn't catch that. I wonder how bad that movie was that Araki didn't want to see it distributed, sadly we may never know.
    I mean, I thought it looked cool from the trailers but there was something with Dio with the kuran and Speedwagon getting written out...I dunno. It kind of amazes me a version of it hasn't circulated at all over the years.

To be honest, Phantom Blood is probably the most believable JoJo Part that you could do as a movie. I'm not sure how they could have done Battle Tendency or Stardust Crusaders without cutting a heck of a lot.

Was that the official name for the Assassination team?

I mean, I thought it looked cool from the trailers but there was something with Dio with the kuran and Speedwagon getting written out...I dunno. It kind of amazes me a version of it hasn't circulated at all over the years.

To be honest, Phantom Blood is probably the most believable JoJo Part that you could do as a movie. I'm not sure how they could have done Battle Tendency or Stardust Crusaders without cutting a heck of a lot.
    Their official name in the anime was "Hitman Team" and for what i read the manga called then "Execution Team" wich in Italian means La Squadra Esecuzioni but i can't confirm is that their actual name.

Dio has the kuran in that movie (by the way it was animated or live action?), also not Speedwagon? after the anime, the fandom would have riot.

I agreed with the rest of your comment, although i didn't watch the Diamond Is Unbreakable movies, so i can't comment on those either.
    I completly agreed with the rest of your commen

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Dio has the kuran in that movie (by the way it was animated or live action?), also not Speedwagon? after the anime, the fandom would have riot.
    Animated.
    I agreed with the rest of your comment, although i didn't watch the Diamond Is Unbreakable movies, so i can't comment on those either.
    I completly agreed with the rest of your commen
    I think the fact that there was only one Diamond is Unbreakable movie (that just adapted to the Nijima brothers fight) tells you enough about how well that movie did.

Although some of the clips I've seen on Youtube looked cool.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Finished Hanebado! last night, a pretty engrossing sports related show. However, I found it difficult to truly enjoy because Ayano, the show's heroine became more and more unlikable to me as the series progressed, hell, by the time she faced off with Nagisa in the finale, I flat out despised her. Yes, I know Ayano had issues because she had been abandoned by her bitch of a mother as a child thanks to badminton, and it left scars, but the way playing the sport warped Ayano into a wretched shrew with little respect for her teammates or opponents made me cheer for her defeat. I can't say I recall ever having dealt with emotions like that when watching a show, and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-27-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    I see Deku's and Bakugo's relationship as like Peter Parker's and Flash Thompson's in Spectacular Spider-Man. The two were friends as kids, but one got supreme gifts early on and started bullying the other. Then the lesser suddenly got even more powerful and started standing up to the bully. The bully never really repents, but he starts to respect the person that used to be his friend once more, even offering advice. If Spectacular Spider-Man had continued, I could see Flash eventually apologizing to Peter and becoming one of his best friends just like in the comics.
    You reminded me of Spectacular Spider-man, which made me sad since it was so good and canceled so prematurely.

But serious answer. There are absolutely similarities between the two mentioned pairs. But one big difference, one show if from a western country while the other one is from Japan. And they have rather different views on dealing with bullying from what I've understood. Flash gets called out in his series and they were definitely building up to him becoming less of a jerkass and bully as a central point of his character arc so that he and Peter could eventually become friends. I firmly believe that if the series had continued, he would eventually own up to his bad behavior and try to redeem himself.

Bakugo doesn't have quite that kind of arc. Yes, he gets called out on being abrasive and bad with people since he's a little shit. But the series has never made any attempts to have him reflect on how he treated Izuku, and it doesn't seem to be all that interested in doing so because of the aforementioned different views on bullying. If Horikoshi eventually gets to that then that would be great and probably as well written as everything else regarding Bakugo. But so far that's not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    I should note that Bakugo has lost to Deku in a humiliating ways, first in their mock match and second by failing to get his provisional license while Deku got his. It was the first humiliating loss to Deku that motivated Bakugo to win the sports festival (which is also why he was pissed off at Todoroki for not trying his best) and the second humiliation is what drove him to challenge Deku to a duel where he and Deku finally aired out each other's beef towards the other.

Yes, Bakugo hasn't apologized for his bullying of Deku. Yet. He may never apologize, but it is clear that he is respecting Deku now after their duel in which it took everything Bakugo had to win while both realizing during the duel that Deku had achieved a new level of power, and the talk both had with All Might after that duel. After that, Bakugo did offer Deku helpful advice, which Deku understood.

When you really look at it honestly, Deku is the closest thing Bakugo has to a best friend in the series. He actually needs Deku now more than Deku needs him. The biggest challenge for Bakugo is whether he can finally stop trying to do everything by himself and learn to work with Deku, Todoroki, and the rest.
    I am well aware of all this and I agree with most of it.

I think that Bakugo in general has good character development and I think that his failures (while not outright traditional loses for the most part) balance out his extreme compotence at fighting and shows that he has a lot to learn as well. My main issue is actually with Izuku regarding Bakugo as a friend without any kind of resentment for how he was treated in the past. I understand that he respects and admires Bakugo, but him being so friendly and almost co-dependent on the guy at times when Bakugo has done nothing to earn that particular relationship feels jarring to me.

I can buy that they're good rivals that motivate each other. But I can't really buy that they're good friends because the series hasn't developed their relationship enough in that regard if you ask me.

And it Kirishima who's Bakugo's best friend, no two ways about that. For Izuku it's Ochako and Iida.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Finished Hanebado! last night, a pretty engrossing sports related show. However, I found it difficult to truly enjoy because Ayano, the show's heroine became more and more unlikable to me as the series progressed, hell, by the time she faced off with Nagisa in the finale, I flat out despised her. Yes, I know Ayano had issues because she had been abandoned by her bitch of a mother as a child thanks to badminton, and it left scars, but the way playing the sport warped Ayano into a wretched shrew with little respect for her teammates or opponents made me cheer for her defeat. I can't say I recall ever having dealt with emotions like that when watching a show, and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
    I found Ayano's development fascinating.

It was twisted and dramatic, and not only caused by mother being absolutely horried but also Elena forcing Ayano back into badminton. She had all the good intention in the world with the knowledge at hand, but didn't pay any mind to her friend's real feelings and it brought about this ugly side that she never could've expected. Everybody just saw Ayano's talent and wanted her to live up to it without any proper regard for her feelings and issues (which most of them didn't know about to be fair). So that's what Ayano became. A really skilled badminton player who showed as little regard for other people's feelings as the rest of the cast had shown towards her. At the same time she was aware that she was being an asshole and fully expected everybody to leave her side and root for Nagisa while she stubbornly stuck to her goal of showing up her mom.

So we have this messed up teen doing her best in something she's been pressured into and making all the wrong decisions because of it and fully expecting to be abandoned again. I really felt for Ayano despite what a jerk she was being and honestly rooted for her to win and hopefully overcome her issues in the end.

So yeah, I had a lot of fun with Hanebado! as a series and Ayano as a character, but I totally get why she would be greatly disliked, and I think that the series is aware of this as well.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 09-02-2019 at 01:59 AM.

I just finished the infamous Yosuga no Sora. It was...oddly well-written.

I expected pure trash, but IMO it has some surprisingly punchy emotional content in spite of everything.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’ve heard that not only is a second season of The Rising of the Shield Hero in the works, but a third as well. Whoa!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    I just finished the infamous Yosuga no Sora. It was...oddly well-written.

I expected pure trash, but IMO it has some surprisingly punchy emotional content in spite of everything.
    I had to look that one up to see what you were talking about, but once I saw the white haired leads I knew exactly which one it was. I haven't watched it myself, I got any onii-chan stuff out of my system watching Koi Kaze.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

I just watched Megalo Box in Netflix, the animation style although doesn't work as well as they probably intended in some parts (trying to be evocative of the 80s and 90s anime style) was still a pretty entertaining series with a sick soundtrack, it reminds me to Samurai Champloo. I'm also aware that the anime is a 50th Anniversary celebration of an old manga anime called Ashita No Joe, which i don't know much about besides the ending, so i can't properly assert if is actually a good tribute to it or a total failure in that regard

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I know it is not anime but I was wondering how people like Gen:LOCK. I have been watching it on Cartoon Network and I like it a lot. The first season is only 8 episodes and I don't know it there is going to be a season 2. Has a Ghost in the Shell feel to it.