Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast
    All-New Member

Hey guys, I'm planning to watch anime. I've just finished parasyte and Death Note. This is my first time, I've watched an anime. Now my friend has recommended me, fullmetal alchemist, an attack on titan. Which one should I watch?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madnyia View Post
    Hey guys, I'm planning to watch anime. I've just finished parasyte and Death Note. This is my first time, I've watched an anime. Now my friend has recommended me, fullmetal alchemist, an attack on titan. Which one should I watch?
    Both shows are very good, but, I'd go with FMA.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Both shows are very good, but, I'd go with FMA.
    Seconded, although the best bet is to go through about half of FMA and the switch to FMA: Brotherhood. The original outpaced the manga and went into a very different place, Brotherhood follows the manga to the conclusion but the first several episodes can seem like a fast recap compared to how much time was spent in the original anime. Both do conclude their stories, while Attack on Titan (while also excellent) is still ongoing.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Just signed up for Crunchyroll again. I seem to be gravitating towards comedy. The two shows I've watched so far are Seton Academy: Join the Pack and Science Fell in Love So I Tried to Prove It.
    Those are two of my favorites this season, I love these shows!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Just signed up for Crunchyroll again. I seem to be gravitating towards comedy. The two shows I've watched so far are Seton Academy: Join the Pack and Science Fell in Love So I Tried to Prove It.
    I endorse Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War if you like Science Fell In Love. They both have a premise of two people who are obviously in love with each other but can't manage to close the deal and actually start dating, because reasons.

Also, Wotakoi: Love Is Hard For Otaku, but I think that one is on Amazon Prime - however that one falls into a comedy about people who are actually dating rather than trying to start a relationship.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

The new MHA movie’s out soon. Anyone gonna watch it?
    Admiral of a fleet of shipsórelationships!
    Comicbooks are nothing to me without ships and romance!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My latest goofy pleasure, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Featuring my candidate for 2020 Best Girl, Kanamori!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I finished watching a psychological thriller anime named Monster which is adapted from the manga I have already read. It is a masterpiece. The story is so suspenseful I get goosebumps from watching the anime. The animation is beautiful. The story is woven masterfully. The pacing and execution is top notch. The show, like the manga, carefully delves into the darkest depths of the human mind. Johan's supremely scrambled and sadistic psyche is truly something.
    I love that series. One of the things that grabbed my attention most is the references to Kenneth Johnson's Incredible Hulk TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by madnyia View Post
    You'll probably watch them all eventually, so I will recommend this order
    • Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 series (very good)
    • Attack on Titan (sappy story, bad ordering and prioritizing of mysteries, useless main character surrounded by many bland characters with a few of them being interesting, and fantastic art, coloring, and animation)
    • Fullmetal Alchemist 2009 series. You'll need to wash the bad taste Attack on Titan might leave if you find it as bad as I do
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I endorse Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War if you like Science Fell In Love. They both have a premise of two people who are obviously in love with each other but can't manage to close the deal and actually start dating, because reasons.

Also, Wotakoi: Love Is Hard For Otaku, but I think that one is on Amazon Prime - however that one falls into a comedy about people who are actually dating rather than trying to start a relationship.
    Thanks for the reccs, but the thing is I'm already reading the manga for Kaguya-sama and Wotakoi (though, I'm way behind on Kaguya-sama). Kind of have to pick and choose which media so I don't spoil myself on anything.

I have heard that Gokusen is similar to GTO except that the teacher is a woman. Can anyone recommend that series to me?

There is also an American Hollywood film named Dangerous Minds that sounds similar to the GTO anime/manga. It is based on the autobiography My Posse Don't Do Homework by retired U.S. Marine LouAnne Johnson, who in 1989 took up a teaching position at Carlmont High School in Belmont, California where most of her students were African-American and Latino teenagers from East Palo Alto, a poverty-stricken, racially segregated, economically deprived city.
    I haven't watched Dangerous Minds yet. Has anyone watched the film?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I have heard that Gokusen is similar to GTO except that the teacher is a woman. Can anyone recommend that series to me?

There is also an American Hollywood film named Dangerous Minds that sounds similar to the GTO anime/manga. It is based on the autobiography My Posse Don't Do Homework by retired U.S. Marine LouAnne Johnson, who in 1989 took up a teaching position at Carlmont High School in Belmont, California where most of her students were African-American and Latino teenagers from East Palo Alto, a poverty-stricken, racially segregated, economically deprived city.
    I haven't watched Dangerous Minds yet. Has anyone watched the film?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Minds
    It might be better to put Dangerous Minds into the 'Inspired By' category. Johnson had to fight to keep Hollywood from adding a student-teacher romance into the film (despite the fact that doing so might cost her her teaching license since it claimed to be a true story) and was uninvited from the set over her differences with the changes made - she even claims that the screenwriter actually told her that he didn't have any time to actually read her book as he was too busy writing the movie. She had to threaten to publically call the 'based on true events' a lie in order to keep some of the changes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It might be better to put Dangerous Minds into the 'Inspired By' category. Johnson had to fight to keep Hollywood from adding a student-teacher romance into the film (despite the fact that doing so might cost her her teaching license since it claimed to be a true story) and was uninvited from the set over her differences with the changes made - she even claims that the screenwriter actually told her that he didn't have any time to actually read her book as he was too busy writing the movie. She had to threaten to publically call the 'based on true events' a lie in order to keep some of the changes out.
    I see. I thought Johnson, like GTO, was breaking away from the traditional curriculum and using unorthodox teaching methods to reach out to the troubled students, even if it meant defying the teachers' calls to bow to tradition.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Black Clover updated the visuals for OP 10 to match the new arc. Demon triad is pretty hype. Outside of the fact that the Word Demon couldn't really be damaged by Yuno's magic, I feel like the Demon Triad are the first people to just utterly curbstomp Yuno.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Black Clover updated the visuals for OP 10 to match the new arc. Demon triad is pretty hype. Outside of the fact that the Word Demon couldn't really be damaged by Yuno's magic, I feel like the Demon Triad are the first people to just utterly curbstomp Yuno.
    Man, they are really catching up with the manga at this point. We've barely met the Demon Triad over there.

I wish we got another Black Lagoon series