Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Gamers! is a nice comedy about a group of 5 friends who love video games, and jumping to the wildest conclusions imaginable. It's funny, sweet, and enjoyable thus far. I hope there will be a second season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Second for Gamers! I can't believe I forgot that one. Although it's just old enough you might have already seen it.
    Here's another vote for Gamers! which I've enjoyed. On the other end of the spectrum (kinda sorta) is New Game! (Crunchyroll) which is about a talented group of cute young women at a video game company working to create a hit game. Sweet, warm and funny, it's a highly pleasant series that's currently into it's second season.

Meanwhile, I can't believe I had forgotten Amanchu! (Crunchyroll), one of THE most delightful slice of life shows I've watched in quite a few years. Set in a quiet, seaside town, the show revolves around Futaba, a shy and painfully insecure girl from the big city who attracts the attention of Hikari, a relentlessly cheerful ball of energy who strikes up a friendship with Futaba and talks her into joining the high school's scuba club. A charming show that's also into a second season.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-14-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well, finally finished catching up on Dragon Ball Super. (yeah i know, pretty late)

My, my, my, not sure how i feel about all that for being honest. Great job on Vegeta and on the 18/Krillin relationship, really loved how they handled that but good god, Goku is so freaking unlikable in that stuff.

I don't know, many things are done pretty nicely but so, so many weird decisions from the writers. (and don't make me start on Piccolo, just don't please, it makes me sad)

Ah well, overall i did enjoy watching it but i sure scratched my head quite a few times, wondering what in all hell was going on with the writing. (and the visual, like, man, gee, really?)

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, finally finished catching up on Dragon Ball Super. (yeah i know, pretty late)

My, my, my, not sure how i feel about all that for being honest. Great job on Vegeta and on the 18/Krillin relationship, really loved how they handled that but good god, Goku is so freaking unlikable in that stuff.

I don't know, many things are done pretty nicely but so, so many weird decisions from the writers. (and don't make me start on Piccolo, just don't please, it makes me sad)

Ah well, overall i did enjoy watching it but i sure scratched my head quite a few times, wondering what in all hell was going on with the writing. (and the visual, like, man, gee, really?)
    The anime had a number of different writers and directors. Hence why some episodes just feel so out of place.

The manga has its own issues too.

But that finale!
    spoilers:
    When Goku and Freeza teamed up to take out Jiren was also a call back to their fight on Namek! Not to mention, the same week it aired, was when Batman and Joker teamed up to fight the Batman Who Laughs in Metal.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I'm glad that you're feeling better.
    Thank you!
    A recent show that sounds like it would be up your ally is Hanebado!. It's a sports anime that focuses on girls, mostly, playing badminton. It's not the kind of series that explains the more intricate rules of the sport, but rather uses the sport as a vehicle for the story it's telling. It's also got some surprisingly heavy melodrama for a sports anime. If you don't mind the melodrama, it's not for everyone, then it's a fun show with some gorgeous animation.

There's also studio Trigger's latest big series, Darling in the FRANXX. Which has a post-apocalyptic setting and mecha piloted by teenage duos consisting of one guy and one girl, and the robots sort of take on the girls' features when they're in action. It was a weird and noticeable show during its run.
    Hanebado! sounds great, and I also love some sport anime (Keijo, that table tennis one I forgot the name of). Will definitely check it out, thanks!

I had already been watching Darling before the accident happened, I think maybe at episode 8 or 9. How many episodes did it wind up being?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Thank God you're safe and recovered.
    Thank you!
    If you like comedy there's Hinamatsuri - which actually has character development for many of the characters, a rarity in comedy series. The comedy is amazing and absurd, but there are also a couple episodes that will hit you directly in the feels.
    That sounds good, will definitely watch it.
    I'd avoid Darling in the Franxx - it starts of really strong, but once the romance between the leads actually blooms they become cardboard cutout boring, and the plot goes off the rails into pure trainwreck territory at the end. The show could be 10 times better and it would still fail to measure up to either Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill. It does have a killer first opener, though.

If you have Amazon, Happy Sugar Life is a disturbing look into a Yandere not played for comedy, but seems done well. Warning - almost no characters in this show are not deranged.

Hanebado is a girl's sports anime (badminton) and Harukana Receive adds in yuri and fanservice - although since that one does beach volleyball there is a written in excuse for bouncing and bikinis.

Chio's School Road is another girl's show, this one centering on absurd comedy about trying to get to school.

For stuff with a decent female character, but not as girl centric, Golden Kamuy is a good show. Set right after the Russo-Japanese war, it follows a soldier who links up with an Ainu girl as they try to track down a hidden stash of gold whose only real clues are map fragment tattooed onto escaped prisoners.

And Attack on Titan is back for season three.
    I will definitely check those out, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I would also suggested Karaki Jozu no Takagi-san. It's about a boy and the girl that constantly teases and outwits him. It is one of the sweetest and most smile inducing slice of life series I've seen in a good long while. Highly recommended for when you just want to chill out.
    I know, I had already been watching that one before the accident, and it was one of the first things I caught up on when I started viewing stuff again a couple days ago. God I want a season two. I also finished Mitsuboshi Colors that night, and Yuru Camp last night. Goodness but that was a good season of anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Glad to see youíre back. To add my two cents worth:

Asobi Asobase: Workshop of Fun (Crunchyroll)
    A school life comedy with three quirky, goofy, offbeat schoolgirls in their unofficial club. If youíve ever seen Nichijou, you might find this enjoyable.

A Place Further Than The Universe (Crunchyroll)
    A wonderful slice of life show with four ambitious high school girls eager to go on an expedition to Antarctica. For one of the girls, itís personal as her mother was lost on a previous expedition.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card (Crunchyroll)
    Sakura, Syaoran, Tomoyo, Kero-chan and the rest of the gang are back as thereís new cards for Sakura to collect.

Umamusume: Pretty Derby (Crunchyroll)
    The latest anthropomorphic craze in anime are horse girls, but, donít worry, all of them are very cute as they compete against each other in races.
    Was already watching A Place Further Than The Universe and Cardcaptor Sakura, but the other two sound good (I had actually been eagerly anticipating Umamusume actually). Can't remember if I watched Nichijou, what was it about?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Ore Monogatari. A romcom so sweet, it may give you diabetes. A lot of funny moments too. Follows the manga fairly well, subverts a number of tropes, and awesome female characters. With the male lead being rather eccentric.
    Been meaning to check it out someday, hasn't it been out for a few years now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    WestPhillyPunisher already mentioned A Place Further Than The Universe, so I won't add anything more than to say that I think this is very much well worth checking out. I would recommend anyone to watch this, not just fans of slice of life dramas featuring cute high school girls. It's that good.

Gamers! is a nice comedy about a group of 5 friends who love video games, and jumping to the wildest conclusions imaginable. It's funny, sweet, and enjoyable thus far. I hope there will be a second season.

If you want something short and sweet, also try out Tada Never Falls in Love. It's about a boy in the photography club meeting a girl from Europe who transfers to his school. There is a good mix of boys and girls in the photography club as they all bond over their common love of photography and the Japanese TV show the girl is obsessed with. Beware, the opening song is a bit of an earworm.
    Tada sounds great. And Gamers! was a lot of fun last year and I also hope for a season two.
    Second for Gamers! I can't believe I forgot that one. Although it's just old enough you might have already seen it.
    I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Here's another vote for Gamers! which I've enjoyed. On the other end of the spectrum (kinda sorta) is New Game! (Crunchyroll) which is about a talented group of cute young women at a video game company working to create a hit game. Sweet, warm and funny, it's a highly pleasant series that's currently into it's second season.

Meanwhile, I can't believe I had forgotten Amanchu! (Crunchyroll), one of THE most delightful slice of life shows I've watched in quite a few years. Set in a quiet, seaside town, the show revolves around Futaba, a shy and painfully insecure girl from the big city who attracts the attention of Hikari, a relentlessly cheerful ball of energy who strikes up a friendship with Futaba and talks her into joining the high school's scuba club. A charming show that's also into a second season.
    Oh god I forgot scuba muppet girl was getting a second season! Yay!

Yeah, Ore Monogatari has been out a few years. And I think only 12 episodes, but that just means its easy to marathon through.

BANNED

I've watched episode 9 of the anime Himawari!. It seems that the poor teacher has a rival in the form of a shota.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Alright, back in early March I was in a very terrible accident, and I was staying with family while I recovered. So I wasn't able to watch anime. But I am back home now, and after I catch up on the shows I had been watching I want to see what all I've missed this year, and would like some recommendations on what the must watch shows were/are recently.

If it helps narrow the field, my favorite shows are anime that focuses mostly on a female cast or mostly female cast. Mainly I love anime girls. Genres I'm really interested in are comedy, action, magical girls, slice of life, school life, romance, fantasy, and any show that is really, really cute. But the occasional big drama of the season is good too.

Thank you for any help!
    Himawari! has a mostly female cast comprising 6 ninja high school girls. It is about a 15-year old girl who is training hard to become a full-fledged ninja worthy of her master who happens to be her 24-year old high school teacher.

Good health to you, Vakanai.

So Heaven’s Feel II: Lost Butterfly won’t be out till January in Japan, meaning those of us in the US likely won’t see it till February/March. (My condolences to those of you outside the US who get it way later or not at all)

Mostly a bummer, but I suppose it’s possible ufotable could release Lost Butterfly in January and follow up with the 3rd one in summer or winter of 2019. They did something similar with a couple of the KnK movies. Unlikely, but one can dream.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Rejoice young man! Your wish for a double post has been granted.
    Last edited by Harbinger19; 08-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Was already watching A Place Further Than The Universe and Cardcaptor Sakura, but the other two sound good (I had actually been eagerly anticipating Umamusume actually). Can't remember if I watched Nichijou, what was it about?
    Here's some information on Nichijou:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10165/Nichijou

Oh god I forgot scuba muppet girl was getting a second season! Yay!
    Pikari likes the nickname!

BANNED

I see a lot new anime this Fall

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2018/fall

But I ought to try watching other anime this summer.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2018/summer

Asobi Asobase looks interesting. Maybe I ought to try watching it.

*sees Index season 3*

Took 'em long enough. :/

Wonder how much they're gonna cover with this season since I doubt they cover the GROUP stuff with Accelerator, which happened fairly soon after the end of the events of season 2.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Didn't the Raligun spin-off show cover the Accelerator stuff anyway?

Looking at the wiki for the anime, no. Most of the second season acts as a sort of prequel to the first season of Index covering how the Level 6 experiment started and showing what Mikoto was doing when she wasn't around Touma. The only thing that remotely connects it to GROUP is the introduction of Meltdowner and the ITEM mercenary group.

EDIT: If anything covers the GROUP stuff, it'll probably be Accelerator's own anime, though looking at summaries of the manga, they haven't touched it yet.
    Last edited by Kal-El Summers; 08-17-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    But I ought to try watching other anime this summer.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2018/summer

Asobi Asobase looks interesting. Maybe I ought to try watching it.
    I'm watching Asobi Asobase and it appeals to my love for goofy stuff. I've said this show is (in my opinion) the spiritual successor to Nichijou. Here's other summer shows I'm watching (in alphabetical order):

Cells At Work!
    Hanebado!
    Happy Sugar Life
    Harakuna Receive
    How Not To Summon A Demon Lord
    Island

Gintama episode 48 is one of the funniest episodes of the series, both segments of it are hilarious. I'm glad I got back to it after years of dropping out with episode 20.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage