Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    My Hero Academia: I was however disappointed with how they did the big reveal scene. The build up was there, but the final reveal lacked any kind of proper punch to it.
    The Deku and Baku talk, right? Yeah, the end really needed more punch. As an aside:

spoilers:
    Do you feel disappointed the anime didn't take the time to show how Bakugou is feeling super bad about All Might throughout the test? In the manga, Deku just goes 'Oh shit, he took the test while feeling like that.' It feels like the anime missed an opportunity by not exploring that.
    end of spoilers
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar

I will only say that it'll be interesting to see people's reactions to next week's episode.
    I'm already dreading it. It was one of my least favourite parts in the manga.

I also didn't like how Todoroki, Bakugou and other who failed the exam got their provisional licences.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I said that after the second episode! HA!
    I got bummed when I watched fourth episode. Poor Karen. She worked very hard to leave the Island and see her mother only to experience disappointment. To avoid spoilers, I will not mention any further.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    The Deku and Baku talk, right?
    spoilers:
    The bit with Toga actually. They could've extended the reveal a bit more and generally put some mor effort into it.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, the end really needed more punch. As an aside:

spoilers:
    Do you feel disappointed the anime didn't take the time to show how Bakugou is feeling super bad about All Might throughout the test? In the manga, Deku just goes 'Oh shit, he took the test while feeling like that.' It feels like the anime missed an opportunity by not exploring that.
    end of spoilers
    That said, you do have a point.

In both cases it's a case of the anime following the manga really closely but without adding anything, even smaller details, that expanded on the content. They were a lot better at that in season 2 I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I'm already dreading it. It was one of my least favourite parts in the manga.

I also didn't like how Todoroki, Bakugou and other who failed the exam got their provisional licences.
    They haven't actually gotten their provisional licenses yet, even in the manga. They're still taking the extra course and need to pass their make up exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Hanebado

(char limit)
    Thanks, luckily it's one that's already on my "to watch" list.

BANNED

Himawari!! episode 11 is quite another fun episode. A school field trip in a snowy mountain.

I do get irritated when people say that My Hero Academia is better than American comics, which is something that's been happening a lot lately on reddit.

My hero Academia has the unfair advantage of being a comic written and drawn by a singular talent who doesn't have to share his creation with thirty-two other writers and artists, and doesn't have to participate in any aggravating company-mandated crossovers that would disrupt the flow of his story. It's able to stay consistently good because there's absolutely no worry of the dilution and compromise that constantly frustrates fans of mainstream American comics. So basically, it's racing in a marathon where everyone else is wearing leg shackles.

Still a good manga. Still a fun story. Still annoying when manga fans pop off without knowing what the hell they're talking about.
    Retired poster. You can't ban me, I quit

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I do get irritated when people say that My Hero Academia is better than American comics, which is something that's been happening a lot lately on reddit.

My hero Academia has the unfair advantage of being a comic written and drawn by a singular talent who doesn't have to share his creation with thirty-two other writers and artists, and doesn't have to participate in any aggravating company-mandated crossovers that would disrupt the flow of his story. It's able to stay consistently good because there's absolutely no worry of the dilution and compromise that constantly frustrates fans of mainstream American comics. So basically, it's racing in a marathon where everyone else is wearing leg shackles.

Still a good manga. Still a fun story. Still annoying when manga fans pop off without knowing what the hell they're talking about.
    There's definitely some nice western comics - but the best stories seem to not be coming from the big 2 anymore. Of course, part of that might be that being from the US, we see all the good AND all the bad ones, whereas the imported stuff typically has to have a minimum level of quality or it won't be published over here. I bet in Japan they have a lot of bad manga to go with the good stuff. It's just that the bad manga is much less likely to make it here since it would be a bona fide profit loser.

Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post

It's not just that. I've seen many say something is good by saying it's better than something else/that something else isn't good. I don't like that. I get really irritated when BnHA is compared to Naruto and how every way it's better than Naruto. There's this weird concept for some that something can be good in only one way. Just because BnHA did things differently doesn't mean it's the only way to do things, or make it automatically superior. Or vice versa. Don't get me started on Hunter x Hunter.

By the way, Chunin exams > Sports tournament. I said it!

*High Fives*

MHA is the new hotness. To many of its fans, that automatically makes it the best thing ever. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that praising a work eventually becomes putting down other things. It sucks but it happens.

That said, you do have a point.

In both cases it's a case of the anime following the manga really closely but without adding anything, even smaller details, that expanded on the content. They were a lot better at that in season 2 I think.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. They are not handling their time all that well this season. Might be due to the movie. Might not be. Regardless, it's little things here and there that could have been adapted better.
    Last edited by Hazard; 09-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Extraordinary Member

Hmm. I'm not sure which one I prefer.

In one you've got Gaara vs. Rock Lee, but the other one has Deku vs. Todoroki. Both had good character development for the main heroine brought about by intense situations. The chunin exam introduced a plethora of fan favourite characters while Sports festival focused more on expanding upon the main supporting cast (especially Todoroki). Both contain very iconic moments for their respective series, and there's solid progression for the main character in both.

Depends on the format actually.

I think that Chunin exam arc is better when it comes to the manga while the Sports festival is better when it comes to the anime. That's mainly because of the expanded content that was added to the anime version of both arcs. While it's generally good stuff that they added for the Chunin exam, a lot of it could also drag quite a bit (looking at you soul-tug-of-war scene). With the Sports festival on the other hand, they expanded and added just the right amount to right any flaws that the arc had in the manga without dragging it along too much.

So yeah, in the manga it's the Chunin exam for me, and in the anime it's the Sports festival.

*High Fives*

MHA is the new hotness. To many of its fans, that automatically makes it the best thing ever. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that praising a work eventually becomes putting down other things. It sucks but it happens.

Yeah, I can agree with that. They are not handling their time all that well this season. Might be due to the movie. Might not be. Regardless, it's little things here and there that could have been adapted better.
    I also think that since it draws so heavily from western superhero tropes, that it makes MHA an easier entry point into anime for the western audience.

Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar

I wish the UQ Holder anime had been done better, and more true to the manga. The latest chapter just had a reveal of Biblical proportions. If it had been done more like One Piece and what not, it would have been far more successful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I wish the UQ Holder anime had been done better, and more true to the manga. The latest chapter just had a reveal of Biblical proportions. If it had been done more like One Piece and what not, it would have been far more successful.
    They probably weren't able to gather up the budget for it, nor the confidence to attempt it considering how Akamatsu's other manga have been received when turned into poor anime adaptations.

Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar

They probably weren't able to gather up the budget for it, nor the confidence to attempt it considering how Akamatsu's other manga have been received when turned into poor anime adaptations.
    They were poor because one adaptation only used the characters but had an entirely different plot. The other had poor animation, and completely switched the plot to something else part way through.

The worst part of the UQ Holder anime, is that supposedly Akamatsu himself was involved with it.