Page 42 of 103 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Maybe not. They tend to have a tough time coming up with enough story to fill their thirteen episode allotment (assuming this season won’t be ten episodes like IF S2). And if nothing else, they can always, hopefully and MERCIFULLY, just cut Foggy and Karen screen time. They should do that anyway, actually. The show would only improve.
    Disagree wholeheartedly. Love having focus on Karen and Foggy.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Disagree wholeheartedly. Love having focus on Karen and Foggy.
    That’s surprising. They’re easily the worse and most useless parts of the show. You could skip all there scenes (as I have to do on rewatches to make the show even remotely watchable) and not miss a beat.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-01-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Hey, if I may ask, is Matt being a lawyer influence on you at all on becoming an attorney?
    I would probably say no. My experience with Marvel growing up was through the cartoon shows, not the comics. I loved the Daredevil appearance in the Spider-Man cartoon so I always thought the character was really cool. I usually point to Law and Order as my reason for becoming a lawyer. I would actually say that the opposite is true. I had flirted with reading comics off and on, but never seriously. After I graduated Law School when they announced the Netflix deal, I decided I had a bunch of free time (compared to Law School where I certainly did not have any) and I decided to start reading specifically Daredevil. It was only from there that I branched into reading other books and became the comics fan that I am today. I wish I could say that it was an influence, though, because it would have made for a great story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I would probably say no. My experience with Marvel growing up was through the cartoon shows, not the comics. I loved the Daredevil appearance in the Spider-Man cartoon so I always thought the character was really cool. I usually point to Law and Order as my reason for becoming a lawyer. I would actually say that the opposite is true. I had flirted with reading comics off and on, but never seriously. After I graduated Law School when they announced the Netflix deal, I decided I had a bunch of free time (compared to Law School where I certainly did not have any) and I decided to start reading specifically Daredevil. It was only from there that I branched into reading other books and became the comics fan that I am today. I wish I could say that it was an influence, though, because it would have made for a great story.
    Cool, man. Thanks for sharing.

In other news, I'm continuing my weekly Daredevil readthrough and just read from Daredevil 359-364. This is the start of the Karl Kesel into Joe Kelly stuff with Mr. Fear and it shows he's a compelling villain. Now part of what makes him effective is that he knows Daredevil's secret identity, but he uses it in interesting ways. The one disappointing thing is he's a lawyer but we never really got to see that played out effectively, but his ability to use fear for subtle manipulation is great. Someone like Daredevil doesn't need to be hallucinating monsters. All he needs is to have a moment of self-doubt where he flinches.

If you don't have access to these issues (which aren't collected), the Ed Brubaker run does a great job of using him effectively as well.

So I definitely think he would make for a compelling Netflix Daredevil villain.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    In other news, I'm continuing my weekly Daredevil readthrough and just read from Daredevil 359-364. This is the start of the Karl Kesel into Joe Kelly stuff with Mr. Fear and it shows he's a compelling villain. Now part of what makes him effective is that he knows Daredevil's secret identity, but he uses it in interesting ways. The one disappointing thing is he's a lawyer but we never really got to see that played out effectively, but his ability to use fear for subtle manipulation is great. Someone like Daredevil doesn't need to be hallucinating monsters. All he needs is to have a moment of self-doubt where he flinches.

If you don't have access to these issues (which aren't collected), the Ed Brubaker run does a great job of using him effectively as well.

So I definitely think he would make for a compelling Netflix Daredevil villain.
    Absolutely. It’s ever baffling to me that no one has used him since Brubaker way back when.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I've warmed up to Soule's run, but to me, it's definitely not a great run, it's an okay one. I can't say I'm sad to see Soule go. I don't want DD to go, though.
    I agree, pretty much. The beginning of Soule's run was trash, with abrupt and abysmal changes to the character (restoring the secret identity, making him a prosecutor, giving him a lame sidekick). The villains he introduced (Muse, Tenfingers, Hand-Jabba-demon-thing) should have been forgettable, but kept popping up. Ham-fisted storylines like the supreme court case that led nowhere and having Kingpin get elected mayor (off-panel! we didn't even see his campaign) haven't helped. It's only really the last several issues that I've warmed up to. I'm well past ready for his run to end and can't fathom how people rank it highly. Art's been good, though!

"Death of Daredevil" better leave the character in a place where somebody else can pick it up and restore the title, but it doesn't sound promising. More like putting it on hiatus until season 4 of the show or some bs.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    I agree, pretty much. The beginning of Soule's run was trash, with abrupt and abysmal changes to the character (restoring the secret identity, making him a prosecutor, giving him a lame sidekick). The villains he introduced (Muse, Tenfingers, Hand-Jabba-demon-thing) should have been forgettable, but kept popping up. Ham-fisted storylines like the supreme court case that led nowhere and having Kingpin get elected mayor (off-panel! we didn't even see his campaign) haven't helped. It's only really the last several issues that I've warmed up to. I'm well past ready for his run to end and can't fathom how people rank it highly. Art's been good, though!
    None of those seemed abysmal. And certainly not abrupt.

My big complaint with the prosecutor storyline is that not enough was done with it. We basically have a bit in the Dark Arts storyline and then Supreme (where he deliberately passed the trial to someone else). There should have been more interaction with the rest of the District Attorney's Office to establish them as characters. Did the ADA who questioned Daredevil even have previous appearances?

I was initially very much on the fence about it, but I warmed up to the story potential that I don't think was realized.

I finally read the first 20 issues of Soule's run, the begining was kind of meh, but it got better with time, i hope that the rest is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I finally read the first 20 issues of Soule's run, the begining was kind of meh, but it got better with time, i hope that the rest is just as good.
    It only gets better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    His “death” is referenced and mentioned in both JJ and IF. Don’t remember if it comes up in Luke Cage but it might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yeah it did Clarie was comparing Luke to Matt before they broke up
    I see. Thanks guys.

Daredevil by Alex Maleev

I actually thought Daredevil was better than the other shows at filling out its episode count. I love JJ and LC but the latter halves started to wobble alot. Iron Fist had good pacing but because it's content was lacking in the beginning you just gave up on it.

I wouldn't have mind appearances from the other defenders and the punisher but there is always season 4.

I like Kingpin but i wasn't in a rush to get back to him, preferring that they bring in other villains first.But him being behind the scenes is cool and i guess bullseye is a good physical threat.

Soule's run is pretty good but he had the uneviable task of following the Waid/Samnee take. He even joked that Daredevil wasn't short on good blockbuster runs so the bar was pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I actually thought Daredevil was better than the other shows at filling out its episode count. I love JJ and LC but the latter halves started to wobble alot. Iron Fist had good pacing but because it's content was lacking in the beginning you just gave up on it.

I wouldn't have mind appearances from the other defenders and the punisher but there is always season 4.

I like Kingpin but i wasn't in a rush to get back to him, preferring that they bring in other villains first.But him being behind the scenes is cool and i guess bullseye is a good physical threat.

Soule's run is pretty good but he had the uneviable task of following the Waid/Samnee take. He even joked that Daredevil wasn't short on good blockbuster runs so the bar was pretty high.
    Soule’s met if not outright exceeded that bar. No question.