Page 49 of 103 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

^ I got it for $200. It's in really good condition, so it's a fair price. But it's still a pricey book.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Nice haul. Congrats on #168. Do you have #380? I managed to pick it up a few years ago before the prices shot up.
    Don't have #380 yet except in trade. Most of the issues I need are sub-150, but #176 and #380 are two big ones I'm looking for.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    ^ I got it for $200. It's in really good condition, so it's a fair price. But it's still a pricey book.

Don't have #380 yet except in trade. Most of the issues I need are sub-150, but #176 and #380 are two big ones I'm looking for.
    I see. I didn't really look at what issue that was but now I see why it might be in high demand among collectors.

So I thought I'd share part of my haul from Comic Con:

Daredevil 44, 46, 47, 167, 359, 376-379, Vol. 2 9-14.

I bought #359 because I forgot to bring it and wanted Cary Nord to sign it. Sadly, I couldn't find Mr. Nord. I did get David Mack to sign Daredevil #9, though.

But the big issue I got was finally this one:

Awesome! I'm quite jealous regarding the David Mack signing. When it comes to cover art he may be my favorite artist. DD #10 is one of my all time favorites along with his great work on Alias/Jessica Jones.

I wasn't sure which issue was my favorite. I decided to go with the first one because the shot of the music notes coming out always struck me as exceptionally beautiful.

I actually asked him if he had done any art for the book because I thought he at least embellished Quesada's work with the little flourishes but he told me he only worked on the covers. Still, it's such a beautiful story.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Am I the last person to notice that Elektra's name is spelled "Elecktra" on Daredevil #168's cover? I feel like it's the Berenstain Bears all over again.

ETA: Also, in the debate of what Elektra's eye colors should be, I finally paid attention to the colors in her very first appearance and came up with "either." Seriously, her very first panel is blue, but she's pretty much consistently brown after that with the exception of one panel that might be a hazel color but I think it's just the lighting. It probably had something to do with the fact that the issue had several different colorists.

I wonder if the story was somewhat rushed. The book was shipping every other month at the time, but they planned to have Child's Play as Daredevil #167 and had to scrap it late due to Comics Code concerns. I wonder if 168 was somewhat of a fill-in as well. To me, the issue feels like a breath of fresh air and was deliberately trying to show a new Daredevil status quo, but that might be due to hindsight. It certainly was a stand-alone story set mostly in flashback and could work well as filler if they didn't have long-term plans for Miller to take over the writing. I guess it would help to see how often the book had a team of colorists instead of a single person at the time.
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 10-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I may have a second 176, but I’ll have to check my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Daredevil #146 was my first introduction to Bullseye.
    Still one of my favorite issues of DD.
    Attachment 71879
    God, I love almost anything Gil Kane did, and this cover just does everything for me.

Incredible Member

I have a question for you guys; I was about to place an order on a few books today and one of them was the new Marvel KNights: Parts of a hole book. Then I also saw that there is a Marvel KNights Omnibus out (or out soon) that will contain Parts of a hole, but also Guardian Devil (I have the trade for this one already), and the Daredevil Father series.
    So my question is if you would recommend me getting the bigger (and more expensive) book just for that Father run, since I don't think you can find the trade for just that one story elsewhere.
    I think it was discussed in here a little while back but I can't remember what the general consensus on that story was.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    I have a question for you guys; I was about to place an order on a few books today and one of them was the new Marvel KNights: Parts of a hole book. Then I also saw that there is a Marvel KNights Omnibus out (or out soon) that will contain Parts of a hole, but also Guardian Devil (I have the trade for this one already), and the Daredevil Father series.
    So my question is if you would recommend me getting the bigger (and more expensive) book just for that Father run, since I don't think you can find the trade for just that one story elsewhere.
    I think it was discussed in here a little while back but I can't remember what the general consensus on that story was.
    Daredevil: Father is not a very good story at all, IMO. I don't think it's worth splurging for the Omnibus just for that mini. I would recommend just getting Parts of a Hole by itself.

On that note, I'm really confused about some of Marvel's reprinting decisions with the new Marvel Knights trades. They're reprinting Vision Quest (the other David Mack Echo story) in a TPB with the Unusual Suspects team-up and Daredevil: Ninja. I have no idea why they didn't just print it together with Parts of a Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Daredevil: Father is not a very good story at all, IMO. I don't think it's worth splurging for the Omnibus just for that mini. I would recommend just getting Parts of a Hole by itself.

On that note, I'm really confused about some of Marvel's reprinting decisions with the new Marvel Knights trades. They're reprinting Vision Quest (the other David Mack Echo story) in a TPB with the Unusual Suspects team-up and Daredevil: Ninja. I have no idea why they didn't just print it together with Parts of a Hole.
    Sometimes it's because of rights and deals with the writters, artists, letterer.

Variant cover to MK20 #1 by David Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Variant cover to MK20 #1 by David Mack

This is beautiful, but where are the Inhumans?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    Father is not good. Not the worst DD story, there are worse but not worth forking out extra for a pricey Omnibus. I believe you can still pick up the TPB at a decent price - try the amazon marketplace. If you're a DD completist and prefer oversized hardcovers, like myself, I would say go for the Omnibus as an oversized format really makes a difference for your reading experience. Bigger in this matter is definitely better.

If I already didn't have the Daredevil Vol. 1 OHC which includes DD #1-15 and the Daredevil: Father OHC, the Marvel Knights Omnibus would be a definite purchase for me. I'm still considering it as the Omnibus is my favourite format. I ended up getting rid of (or trying to) my TPBs, because I would upgrade to OHCs. As one gets deeper into the collecting game, one tends to constantly upgrade the formst of their comics.

That David Mack cover is beautiful. Variants are very difficult to get for me, which is a shame.