Page 59 of 103 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    I like what they’ve done with Bullseye as well. There’s some actual depth of character here very much unlike the comic book counterpart.
    This. So much this.

I'm on the record saying I was disappointed they chose Bullseye when I thought there were more compelling villains they could have chosen. (Though I also understand why they chose him, given his, in my opinion largely undeserved status from the comics.) Some of that was alleviated when Typhoid Mary popped up in Iron Fist, as she was my first choice for the next villain. But I was hopeful that the writers who have made Fisk such a compelling figure could do something with Bullseye to make him worth watching.

And they delivered. In spades. This character has been a blast to watch. He's the anti-Matt. One, a good man pulled towards dark actions. The other a complete sociopath who has spent his whole life trying to walk the straight and narrow. One a hero, the other a killer. And maybe both monsters. Sometimes it pays off to have faith in creators who put this much thought into a character, and I can honestly say now, in retrospect, that I'm really happy they chose to use Bullseye for this season. I have been proven wrong, and couldn't be having more fun.

BANNED

I like what they’ve done with Bullseye as well. There’s some actual depth of character here very much unlike the comic book counterpart.
    Yeah I felt his character background is more enticing than any of those characters of Netflix DD .
    But I have read somewhere that Bullseye's comic counterpart had similar kind of notable origin i.e "a famous baseball player". Didn't they portrayed him with depth in his comic counterpart?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I do like Soule's run and have loved it recently, I think the main reason I would say that it is not one of the best runs on the character is that it feels so inconsistent. Some arcs have been amazing- the mayor fisk stuff and the recent stuff with Noto but the beginning of the run was just incredibly bland. To the point that I was only hanging onto the book because I have every DD issue and didn't want to break up the collection. The early two to three arcs did nothing to really justify just retconning waid's run (which while I enjoyed I can admit has some serious flaws and went way off the rails at times especially at the end). The whole mystery of how his secret identity got restored took way to long to deliver on, anytime Marvel does the whole "we will tell you how all this happened" routine it goes on for too long and underwhelms. I love DD having the secret identity back but restoring to the whole only foggy knows was annoying because we have to essentially reread the other heroes discovering Matt Murdock is Daredevil bit, plus it took something from the overall arc of DD as a character in my opinion that fisk no longer knows. Overall I think it's a solid run but it bungled it's beginning and now appears to be leading to another "death" that fans don't want and where we don't get the character for a couple of years followed by marvel milking DD fans for the next year with weekly aftermath series and 4.99 one shots that tease his return. Probably followed with a new number one with a replacement character (blindspot???) as the new daredevil, All so that in a couple of years marvel can jam fans for 4.99 an issue on the "return of Daredevil" run which we just had less than a decade ago. Followed by a brand new 5 dollar #1 issue that basically restores it back to Matt. Overall I like some of Soule's stuff but the guy seems to deliver underwhelming stuff at times, he has handled 2 of my 3 favorite marvel characters and this is the second time he is killing one of them off and that annoys me to no end.

Overall the first issue of death of daredevil was great but it's hard to get invested in all that is happening because as much as I want a DD/Elektra pairing all of what happens is gonna be undone by his death and eventual return where all the developments that happen in this arc just get ignored in the "mighty marvel fashion" that they currently do anytime they kill off a character lately.

Also completely unrelated to the run but thank god for season 3, as much as the whole impending death has me down this season makes it a great time to be a dd fan.
    You've hit the nail on the head with how Marvel operates regarding killing off characters, replacing and bringing them back with all the high pricing of the floppies and No. 1s. It's very annoying. I hated forking out $4.99 and $5.99.I used to buy all the DD floppies for a time and even his appearances in other comics. I stopped midway through the 2nd Waid run and have stuck with collected editions. I still pick up the occasional key issues and a Variant or two.

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    Yeah I felt his character background is more enticing than any of those characters of Netflix DD .
    But I have read somewhere that Bullseye's comic counterpart had similar kind of notable origin i.e "a famous baseball player". Didn't they portrayed him with depth in his comic counterpart?
    Yep. The baseball aspect is from the comics.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-20-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This. So much this.

I'm on the record saying I was disappointed they chose Bullseye when I thought there were more compelling villains they could have chosen. (Though I also understand why they chose him, given his, in my opinion largely undeserved status from the comics.) Some of that was alleviated when Typhoid Mary popped up in Iron Fist, as she was my first choice for the next villain. But I was hopeful that the writers who have made Fisk such a compelling figure could do something with Bullseye to make him worth watching.

And they delivered. In spades. This character has been a blast to watch. He's the anti-Matt. One, a good man pulled towards dark actions. The other a complete sociopath who has spent his whole life trying to walk the straight and narrow. One a hero, the other a killer. And maybe both monsters. Sometimes it pays off to have faith in creators who put this much thought into a character, and I can honestly say now, in retrospect, that I'm really happy they chose to use Bullseye for this season. I have been proven wrong, and couldn't be having more fun.
    Absolutely. I now only hope we get a cool Bullseye outfit in some form.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-20-2018 at 12:21 PM.

This show sure does love characters having story times....
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-20-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This. So much this.

They manage to make me feel sorry for him,trying hard to be a decent guy and fighting his urges, while i feeled creeped about how messed up and scary as a psychopath he was. In a way,he was not only the anti-Matt,he was what Dexter Morgan could be if he didn't manage to follow "the code". Pointdexter tried to follow a code,but circumstances and his weak will didn't help.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    They manage to make me feel sorry for him,trying hard to be a decent guy and fighting his urges, while i feeled creeped about how messed up and scary as a psychopath he was. In a way,he was not only the anti-Matt,he was what Dexter Morgan could be if he didn't manage to follow "the code". Pointdexter tried to follow a code,but circumstances and his weak will didn't help.
    Yup. With Jigsaw and now Bullseye, they've started to really cultivate great villains.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Finish the binge worth the wait
    spoilers:
    So I was wrong in thinking he was going to get a new suit by the end of the season something akin to his All New All Different suit. But I didn't mind the throwback to Season 1 Matt. Hopefully, Melvin comes back somehow. I feel that show succeeded in going back to the basics. Fisk was great and the actor plays him so well. Bullseye was dope I sorry for him when they killed that red hair girl he literally just got her back.I like how he wasn't great in close-combat against Matt but once he got a little space he was lethal! Can't wait for his return next season cause Matt didn't beat him one-on-one I would say he was close though. I'm surprised that they took down Fisk this season because I was starting to believe that Fisk might actually get away. Glad to get Karen backstory finally and seeing Foggy family too wasn't bad. I actually enjoyed Foggy more this season than previous seasons. Towards the end of the season, it did feel like we were repeating the same things like season 1 with Matt trying to decide to kill Fisk and Foggy like use the law. Thats all I have to say about Season 3 cant wait for season 4 hopefully Matt goes back to Red.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Melvin ain't coming back. His corpse was in the freezer where Bullseye found Juile's body
    end of spoilers

I’m really glad they addressed the absurdity of Matts dad choosing to get himself killed instead of raising his kid.

I was really curious as to how and when they would do the Sister Maggie reveal. I thought it was WONDERFULLY executed.

BANNED

Guys, I absolutely loved the new season of Daredevil.

Applause.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I was really curious as to how and when they would do the Sister Maggie reveal. I thought it was WONDERFULLY executed.
    I can’t say I liked how they did it but was fine. Of all the times she could have made that particular prayer of course she makes it while Matt is there? A tad contrived. I didn’t think they’d flat out just say it. I was hoping it’d be a more subtle yet unquestionable reveal like it in Born Again. Perhaps using the cross Maggie’s been trying to give him to give it more significance. Moreover, it’s now, after so many years had passed, it’s now she begins to get emotional over Matt? Not when his dad died leaving him without a parent, nor when he was hit by a damn truck and got chemical splashed into his face, not when he was growing up as a disabled only child? Now she cares? Because he knows she’s his mom? Ridiculous.

It's pretty implied that she's cared the whole time. Him being there gave her a second chance to take care of him and like she said, she failed again. Her realizing that is why she got so emotional. Doesn't seem so ridiculous to me. What are they all supposed to walk on egg shells and swear to secrecy if Matt's around so they don't let out their deepest darkest secrets to him in the off chance he's listening? She's a nun. She was praying. For her son. To his dead father. In a church that she works in. Seems like something she would do.
    Last edited by cc008; 10-20-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Mighty Member

I can’t say I liked how they did it but was fine. Of all the times she could have made that particular prayer of course she makes it while Matt is there? A tad contrived. I didn’t think they’d flat out just say it. I was hoping it’d be a more subtle yet unquestionable reveal like it in Born Again. Perhaps using the cross Maggie’s been trying to give him to give it more significance. Moreover, it’s now, after so many years had passed, it’s now she begins to get emotional over Matt? Not when his dad died leaving him without a parent, nor when he was hit by a damn truck and got chemical splashed into his face, not when he was growing up as a disabled only child? Now she cares? Because he knows she’s his mom? Ridiculous.
    Contrived? Her son was literally in the basement pushing his life away and going around beating people up in a black mask. When else should she have spoken words to Jack urging him to look after Matt, who had proven far too much like Jack? She thought Matt was a lawyer, living a normal life. Now she's been confronted with the reality of what he's become, and is terrified for him.

Also, Maggie always cared. But she also abandoned Matt. That's something she's had to live with, and struggling to justify that choice, or hide from it, has been part of her life ever since. I don't know how far into the season you are, but they'll address it in a later episode in a way that I thought really conveyed just what Maggie was going through and why it made sense to her to stay away, even when she knew it was a mistake to do so.