Page 71 of 103 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1544

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-dy...-and-daredevil

not sure I agree with it but i thought it was a good read.
    Neither do I!

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Probably the biggest catalyst of the season. Not only did it cause the massacre but it also changed Foggy's direction as well.
    Too bad Foggy doesn’t matter.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yeah, I don't really agree. I'm glad they mentioned the Karl Kesel run and I liked the dynamic in that story, but it was a mostly antagonistic relationship, imo. I can't speak for the Dark Nights story. My biggest quibble is this idea that they can sort of be a detective duo. That's really not Matt's role. In the Netflix side of things, they haven't had many interactions and it doesn't strike me as a likely one going forward.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Finally got this weeks issue and I liked it a lot. I’m disappointed we didn’t get the scene when they managed to kidnap Wesley since he’s supposed to be so heavily guarded and seeing them extract him may have been cool but the following chase and the very well done fight scene with The Vigil made up for that. I like The Vigil’s design but there’s still not a lot to him so I’m not sure of him just yet. Perhaps in the next issue we’ll get more him, what he’s about, all that stuff. Along with the issue as a whole, the opening scene with Matt and Elektra was gorgeously done by Noto who seems to be giving this arc his all. It really shows! Elektra’s exit did feel abrupt as some have said and it was disappointing she left as soon she came. Too bad. Soule does her really well. Good issue all around. Two more this month!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 11-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Yeah, interesting read but DD is too much of a loner to team up with Misty on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Yeah, I don't really agree. I'm glad they mentioned the Karl Kesel run and I liked the dynamic in that story, but it was a mostly antagonistic relationship, imo. I can't speak for the Dark Nights story. My biggest quibble is this idea that they can sort of be a detective duo. That's really not Matt's role. In the Netflix side of things, they haven't had many interactions and it doesn't strike me as a likely one going forward.

The Dark Nights 3-issue team-up is probably the worst DD story I've read. The dialogue is infantile and crass and Matt behaves like a teenager. The whole story is an insult to both Misty and Matt.

A lot of people rave about the prison one-shot, but watching the garage fight scene again I think I rate it higher just because of how Matt uses stealth and quickness to take out all the agents harmlessly whereas the prison scene, while still an unquestionably a jaw-dropping feat, is more of a random punch 'em up free for all all in a darkly lit hallway and we've gotten that before in season one. His stealth take downs was something new and more exciting because all the while he's trying to and successfully evading detection while taking them out one by one. The only part I must doesn't say work is towards the end of the scene when Matt get's caught off guard and the fight ensues. He wouldn't have gotten caught. By the very nature of his powers he can't have gotten caught like that. Otherwise, such a cool scene!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 11-02-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Too bad Foggy doesn’t matter.
    Lol this response and the way you think it's FACT is exactly why I said arguing with you is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Lol this response and the way you think it's FACT is exactly why I said arguing with you is not worth it.
    In the grand scheme of the overall story the show is trying to tell, he doesn’t. As I keep saying, I skipped all his scenes and missed nothing. If you guys like him and his side story, all good. But he is not integral. He effects nothing and does nothing of any significance. He and Karen are unobjectionable filler.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 11-02-2018 at 08:09 PM.

I want to start reading Daredevil. Never have before. What’s the best starting point? Epic Collection vol1 or, Millar, Bendis etc??? Any help would be appreciated.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I've stand by my belief that, as long as you are OK with reading the best comics of the 80s, you should start with Frank Miller. If someone was completely new to comics, I usually suggest they read Daredevil #164 to get his origin story and then start his original run of #168-191. Keep in mind that #164 is penciled by Miller but scripted by Roger McKenzie. If you're a little more comfortable with comics, it doesn't hurt to start with #159 and go from there.

If you're not someone who is OK with old comics, I'd probably recommend starting with Bendis but I always hesitate because, imo, Matt is acting a bit out of character (for story reasons that are explained but you don't want to get into the habit of thinking that's how he always is). I also think you can start with Mark Waid who has a bit sunnier of a Daredevil that isn't inconsistent with anything in the past but some people prefer the character darker. I definitely would not recommend starting from the beginning unless you're very comfortable with Silver Age comics because silver age Daredevil isn't great even compared to others at the time.

The Man Without Fear Graphic Novel is not a bad starting place either, although I prefer the original versions of the stories it retells over the quasi-out of continuity retelling in that story, but it's still great and was actually the first Daredevil story I ever read, iirc.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I've stand by my belief that, as long as you are OK with reading the best comics of the 80s, you should start with Frank Miller. If someone was completely new to comics, I usually suggest they read Daredevil #164 to get his origin story and then start his original run of #168-191. Keep in mind that #164 is penciled by Miller but scripted by Roger McKenzie. If you're a little more comfortable with comics, it doesn't hurt to start with #159 and go from there.

If you're not someone who is OK with old comics, I'd probably recommend starting with Bendis but I always hesitate because, imo, Matt is acting a bit out of character (for story reasons that are explained but you don't want to get into the habit of thinking that's how he always is). I also think you can start with Mark Waid who has a bit sunnier of a Daredevil that isn't inconsistent with anything in the past but some people prefer the character darker. I definitely would not recommend starting from the beginning unless you're very comfortable with Silver Age comics because silver age Daredevil isn't great even compared to others at the time.

The Man Without Fear Graphic Novel is not a bad starting place either, although I prefer the original versions of the stories it retells over the quasi-out of continuity retelling in that story, but it's still great and was actually the first Daredevil story I ever read, iirc.
    Don't forget these two:

Daredevil: Yellow - Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale flesh out the early days of Daredevil.

Guardian Devil - Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada redefine Daredevil for a new generation.

Astonishing Member

Here's an interesting question, in light of recent events, how much faith should Matt still have in the legal system? Because I have been listening to some True Crime podcasts, one called In the Dark has one case in season 2 has a murder case where a small town D.A is ridiculously corrupt, racist and incompetent, not mention cases of police brutality we see, where the cops seem not get punished for it and true mistrials of justice like the West Memphis 3.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    I want to start reading Daredevil. Never have before. What’s the best starting point? Epic Collection vol1 or, Millar, Bendis etc??? Any help would be appreciated.
    IIRC, you mentioned in an earlier post that you don’t mind Silver Age. Therefore start with the Epic Collection Vol. 1. I would say that there are a few gems but it's wordy and corny at the most. It will, however, introduce you to the majority of DD's supporting characters and one of his most memorable fights in DD #7. It can only get better after this. I would then go onto Frank Miller's work. If you have the two Omnibuses, that would be perfect. Following this, read Smith and Quesada's Guardian Devil. Loeb and Sale's Daredevil Yellow is also worthy of a read. Then Bendis and Brubaker. If you grow to love Daredevil and wish to know the ins and outs if his life, read Diggle's run which is completely covered in the Shadowland Omnibus. After this is Waid's run which is pretty good. Soule's run finishes everything off, for the moment.

In the future you can always backtrack and read other runs - Denny O'Neill (one of my favourites), Ann Nocenti, DG Chichester (not great but Fall of Kingpin isn't bad), Karl Kesel and Joe Kelly. Also, I strongly recommend Daredevil: Dark Nights #1-3 by Lee Weeks. This can be read diring Waid's run at an appropriate break.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 11-03-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Don't forget these two:

Daredevil: Yellow - Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale flesh out the early days of Daredevil.

Guardian Devil - Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada redefine Daredevil for a new generation.
    One thing to not though, if you decide to read Daredevil: Yellow, you should read Guardian Devil first. Daredevil Yellow takes place both in the present and in the past, and deals with the aftermath of something that happened during Guardian Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    The way I went about it was Millar, Bendis, Brubaker.. and then jumped on Waid's run with Marvel NOW while it was being published. After that, went back and read other stories from other writers, including Daredevil Yellow.