Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

A copy of Born Again was handed down to me when I was too young to appreciate it. The first issues I BOUGHT were Smith's Guardian Devil.

I started collecting comics later in life as well.. not until college when I could really afford them (and get to an lcs on my own). I bought all individual issues of the Man Without Fear mini by Miller and Romita Jr. Those were my first DD purchases.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    What was everybody's first Daredevil comic purchase?
    I was always a fan of superheroes growing up, movies/games/shows,but I never really read much comics. I'm 30 now and it was only a few years ago that I started collecting and reading seriously.
    I was at this yearly market and the TPB collecting the first of Miller's run caught my eye. I bought it and I was immediately hooked. I got the rest of Miller's stuff and then I went back to beginning starting with DD nr 1.
    I later branched out and now I am collecting a bunch of different titles from both Marvel and DC but Daredevil has a special place in my heart.

I've been collecting from a young age, even though comics weren't very accessible where I live, so I mostly read Ultimate Spider-Man (Ultimate runs was the only thing they were translating), but DD always fascinated me!

I believe the first DD book I bought was Born Again TPB and I LOVED it. Never stopped from there!

I've been collecting from a young age, even though comics weren't very accessible where I live, so I mostly read Ultimate Spider-Man (Ultimate runs was the only thing they were translating), but DD always fascinated me!

I believe the first DD book I bought was Born Again TPB and I LOVED it. Never stopped from there!

I don’t remember my first DD comic. I do recall the first few that I read and that got me hooked were some of the Typhoid Mary stories from the 90s.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

My first DD comic book was Fall from Grace. I really liked it way back then. Today, i appreciate some aspects but don't consider it a great DD story.

First impressions right out the gate of 606: a bit confusing, meandering, uninteresting, caught a typo, DD was uncharacteristically polite, he smiled in a panel or two, and I can’t say his team to depose the Kingpin does anything for me since I’m one who couldn’t care less about the X-Men and even less so about the Inhumans of which that team has members and thus characters who I think are rather lame, plus DD needing a team to begin with. Id have rather he went about this alone or with Foggy or with a cooler team. The Mike Murdock beat does nothing for me either. His debut was well before my entry into comics and I don’t think it’s a time remembered too fondly and I don’t like doppelgänger characters to begin with so I’m not too enthused about that and along with most of this issue feels like biting time. This felt like it was all over the place with no particular direction or anchor, rather. Perhaps it’s the fact that there’s no Matt here and as has been a criticism of this run he has no personal life which lends to the sense that this issue is moving without purpose as he swings around looking for stuff to do. Matt usually has his plate full with superheroics and personal issues but here the lack of the latter was really felt. And that he needed or was using a police scanner to listen for emergencies made no sense when he has superhuman hearing and it was established in this very issue how powerful his superhuman hearing hearing is.

Noto’s art is hit and miss here. Some pages and panels are stellar while others look bafflingly unfinished (no one caught that?) and/or unpolished. But on the whole good stuff nonetheless.

Overall I liked the issue but I can’t say I’m awed by it or too enthused for where it’s heading with Mike Murdock and that team of characters I think are lame and uninteresting and who Daredevil shouldn’t need. But this is still Soule and this was only the first issue the arc so I’m optimistic to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 08-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Were there any hints or callbacks that make it absolutely necessary to read Weapon Lost? Or can we just pick this up without any worries of that?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Were there any hints or callbacks that make it absolutely necessary to read Weapon Lost? Or can we just pick this up without any worries of that?
    There’s a one line reference to Weapons Lost. Otherwise, it has no bearing whatsoever on anything.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 08-08-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    What was everybody's first Daredevil comic purchase?
    Started reading comics again after a long hiatus. Similar to some others, my first DD purchase was the Man without Fear TPB. My first floppy issue was a really worn copy of #18, first appearance of the Gladiator, which actually started me on my journey to collect all the single issues in DD's main title. Currently just have half way there with about 308 issues, with the earliest issue being a copy of #3 that's in pretty decent shape.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I liked this issue. I particularly liked the first half. I thought it was cool how a New Yorker essentially helped Daredevil save everyone by taking matters into his own hands. There's a certain optimistic faith in the people of New York that I think fits well in the aftermath of the Hand attack.

Shouldn't hammerhead be dead, though? Am I not remembering events correctly?

The twist was weird. I didn't pick my username because I think Mike Murdock is a great idea. In fact, I selected it because I thought it was a campy absurd idea. That being said, there were some interesting conceptual ideas behind the original Mike Murdock story and, whatever this is, this isn't the same thing at all. Instead, this is much, much weirder. My only theory so far is that he's a creation of Reader. I suppose things will become clearer as the story progresses.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I liked this issue. I particularly liked the first half. I thought it was cool how a New Yorker essentially helped Daredevil save everyone by taking matters into his own hands. There's a certain optimistic faith in the people of New York that I think fits well in the aftermath of the Hand attack.

Shouldn't hammerhead be dead, though? Am I not remembering events correctly?

The twist was weird. I didn't pick my username because I think Mike Murdock is a great idea. In fact, I selected it because I thought it was a campy absurd idea. That being said, there were some interesting conceptual ideas behind the original Mike Murdock story and, whatever this is, this isn't the same thing at all. Instead, this is much, much weirder. My only theory so far is that he's a creation of Reader. I suppose things will become clearer as the story progresses.
    Yeah, the end of the issue is a head scratcher but it's clearly supposed to be so it's cool. Definitely interested in seeing this unfold.

Overall I really liked the issue. The conclusion of the last arc was one of my favorites of Soule's run so I didn't expect this to live up to that standard but it was still a solid issue.

I'm not sure what Hammerhead's status is but if he's alive here, so be it! I liked how Soule used him and the nail guns were a clever touch.

Digging Noto on art. I expect he'll get even better once he settles into the book a bit more.

The one character who has inspired me to follow and collect as much of history as much as I can. Good ol Matt has had an amazing life.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I kind of rushed through today’s issue earlier so I gave it another go and I have to say I enjoyed it more. Most of my earlier criticisms still stand, however, but I’m now more intrigued than confused and more delighted with some nice pages I may have hastily glanced over before.

Something occured to me again unrelated to this issue but to the previous arc: Soule never followed up with or resolved the huge hole in the ground DD and Sam found at the beginning of Mayor Murdock. I wonder what he’s going to do with that? I strongly doubt he’s dropped or forgotten about it.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 08-08-2018 at 05:49 PM.