Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I liked this issue. I think Phil Noto adapted his style to the visual aesthetic of the title pretty well. I only wish that I hadn't known about the Mike Murdock twist from solicits and interviews because the way it played out here was really well done. I would have thought Matt was just fishing for information "in disguise" in those first couple pages.

The starved Black Widow fan in me saw this as a story opportunity where Soule could have pulled in Natasha (she's probably more useful in an investigation than Cypher is), but I mostly understand why Soule is using Frank McGee here ... mostly. With Natasha not having made a substantial appearance in any Daredevil story since The Murdock Papers, this is the longest she's gone without making a proper guest appearance since the gap between Nocenti and the Kesel run.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 08-08-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I came to reading comics fairly late so the first comic I bought was in trade - specifically The Man Without Fear. I think the first back issue I bought as a floppy was Daredevil #146. #191 is one of my favorite issues and I was fascinated by the references to the fight between Daredevil and Bullseye on TV so I wanted to seek out that issue and see what it was like.
    DD #191 - the classic Russian roulette issue!

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    A copy of Born Again was handed down to me when I was too young to appreciate it. The first issues I BOUGHT were Smith's Guardian Devil.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man Without Beer View Post
    I've been collecting from a young age, even though comics weren't very accessible where I live, so I mostly read Ultimate Spider-Man (Ultimate runs was the only thing they were translating), but DD always fascinated me!

I believe the first DD book I bought was Born Again TPB and I LOVED it. Never stopped from there!
    Born Again, generally ranked as the best Daredevil story ever and usually in the Top three of all Marvel stories of all time. One of my absolute favourites. Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli, the Daredevil dream team.

Smith and Quesada's Guardian Devil isn't amazing but is pretty good and is very key to Matt's history.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I started collecting comics later in life as well.. not until college when I could really afford them (and get to an lcs on my own). I bought all individual issues of the Man Without Fear mini by Miller and Romita Jr. Those were my first DD purchases.
    John Romita Jrt on art and Al Williamson on inks were on top form. Some beautiful panels.

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    I was always a fan of superheroes growing up, movies/games/shows,but I never really read much comics. I'm 30 now and it was only a few years ago that I started collecting and reading seriously.
    I was at this yearly market and the TPB collecting the first of Miller's run caught my eye. I bought it and I was immediately hooked. I got the rest of Miller's stuff and then I went back to beginning starting with DD nr 1.
    I later branched out and now I am collecting a bunch of different titles from both Marvel and DC but Daredevil has a special place in my heart.
    Frank Miller was ahead of his time with that DD run, art and storywise. Pretty sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I don’t remember my first DD comic. I do recall the first few that I read and that got me hooked were some of the Typhoid Mary stories from the 90s.
    Ann Nocenti and JRJR's run is one of the more memorable DD runs for differing reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    My first DD comic book was Fall from Grace. I really liked it way back then. Today, i appreciate some aspects but don't consider it a great DD story.
    I think the best aspect were the Scott McDaniel covers - very innovative. Unfortunately, a bad story with very few redeeming factors.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Started reading comics again after a long hiatus. Similar to some others, my first DD purchase was the Man without Fear TPB. My first floppy issue was a really worn copy of #18, first appearance of the Gladiator, which actually started me on my journey to collect all the single issues in DD's main title. Currently just have half way there with about 308 issues, with the earliest issue being a copy of #3 that's in pretty decent shape.
    That's very impressive. My earliest Daredevil issue is #9. I also have a few hundred Daredevil issues. Usually where I have a collected edition, I lack the single issues with the exception of Frank Miller's and Mark Waid's runs where I have the majority in floppies and both of the Omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    The one character who has inspired me to follow and collect as much of history as much as I can. Good ol Matt has had an amazing life.
    An amazing life and yet probably one of the most tragic heroes of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    What was everybody's first Daredevil comic purchase? Mine was Daredevil #177 back in 1981. It was quite a "heavy" read for a kid back then. I didn't know who Frank Miller was and only much later as an adult (when I got back into comics after a 25 year hiatus) did I appreciate his work. Frank Miller's and Klaus Janson's stint on Daredevil became my favourite DD run.
    It was Daredevil #208 and that issue was amazing and made me a Daredevil fan!

I still hope that one day it will be collected in a nice oversized collection!

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I liked this issue. I think Phil Noto adapted his style to the visual aesthetic of the title pretty well. I only wish that I hadn't known about the Mike Murdock twist from solicits and interviews because the way it played out here was really well done. I would have thought Matt was just fishing for information "in disguise" in those first couple pages.

The starved Black Widow fan in me saw this as a story opportunity where Soule could have pulled in Natasha (she's probably more useful in an investigation than Cypher is), but I mostly understand why Soule is using Frank McGee here ... mostly. With Natasha not having made a substantial appearance in any Daredevil story since The Murdock Papers, this is the longest she's gone without making a proper guest appearance since the gap between Nocenti and the Kesel run.
    Completely agree! I too wish we could see Natasha make a significant appearance sometime soon, maybe after all this Infinity Wars stuff?

Speaking of Infinity Wars, in the most recent issue when Dr. Strange brings all those with the Infinity Stones together Turk brings Bullseye with him (along with others) during the meeting and Natasha puts a bullet threw his ace of spades playing card, in which Bullseye comments about wanting an opportunity to take out another one of "Reds" girls.

Overall, I enjoyed the issue. The art was really good. I liked Matt's speech to the citizens of New York, I always feel like this is something Soule has done well. Being a lawyer (and a good one at that), I always interpreted Matt to be someone who could inspire and influence those around him through not just his actions, but his words as well. Still on the fence with the whole Mike Murdock thing, will probably need to read the whole arc before I can properly judge though I have faith in Soule to be able to deliver.

Sorry double post!
    Last edited by macjr33; 08-09-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Double post!

I loved 606. Thought Noto's art looked great and it was a real compelling start to an arc I was sort of unsure about going into it.

There are TWO more Daredevil comics this month - 607 and the annual! Yes!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 08-09-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

I've really enjoyed this book so much more since the Mayor Fisk arc. Henderson was fantastic and Noto's one of my favorite artists. While I dearly miss more of the gritty crime oriented stories from Bendis and Brubaker, the more superhero-y slant works just enough for me to start picking this book up and enjoy it again every month.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post

Yes, totally agree. Fantastic issue. One of my absolute favourite Daredevil stories.

Wow! That looks so good. I will have to track this down.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    There are TWO more Daredevil comics this month - 607 and the annual! Yes!
    More DD is never a bad thing
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It's a very underrated issue. I'll settle for it being collected in any size. Eventually, the Epic Collection will get to Denny O'Neil's run and that will include this issue as well, but it's a shame more attention hasn't been paid to collecting this.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Wow! That looks so good. I will have to track this down.
    Definitely do. It's absolutely worth having. It's not mega expensive but I've noticed the back issue price steadily increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It's a very underrated issue. I'll settle for it being collected in any size. Eventually, the Epic Collection will get to Denny O'Neil's run and that will include this issue as well, but it's a shame more attention hasn't been paid to collecting this.
    A genius script by Harlan Ellison and Arthur Byron Cover and wonderful pencils by David Mazzucchelli as per usual. I've said it before but it would be great to get all those issues between the two Frank Miller runs collected in one Omnibus.

Spectacular Member

Noto's art was definitely better than anticipated. I absolutely loved Henderson's work on NAILBITER, but his DD run never seemed to breathe like that series, he could have done much better...maybe he had more time on the indie comic.