Page 52 of 196 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    I know what you guys are talking about it. But Gambit has given no hints that he's anything but straight. And I don't trust Marvel with developing a bisexual/gay character that's been a straight character his entire existence after they way they handled Iceman. All of a sudden Jean tells Iceman he's gay without any real development or lead up to it, and Iceman doesn't question it. Not to mention his whole personality changed just right out of the blue. I shudder thinking about how much better that could have been handled, instead it just felt like the rushed it through for the sake of just having a gay x-man.

Fabian is probably referring to 2 things here. One is in his run Courier morphed (I think permanently) into a very attractive woman and Gambit made a couple funny passes at her afterwards. They did eventually kiss close to the end of the series but that was it, and even that moment felt like more of touching empathetic moment than a romantic one. To me this doesn't imply that Gambit is bisexual at all because no interactions between Gambit and Courier had any sort of romantic undertones when Courier was a man. Coupled with the fact that Gambit only made the funny quips at Courier when he became a hot woman only reinforce how he was doing it to tease him and because he was portrayed as a sort of a horndog towards attractive women back then. If you re-read Nicieza's run all this seems painfully obvious. Fabian could also be referring to how James Asmus had plans to reveal that Remy was bisexual but then had to scrap his plans because editorial wouldn't approve them.
    Yes, that was my thinking. Just wondering if I missed something. There is a good discussion on comic vine with some panels depicting some potential subtext with Daken and in Liu's Astonishing, but I took it as innuendo and that he's just a sexually very secure character. Gambit kind of flirts with everyone and I can buy him being somewhat flexible or using his attractiveness to his advantage in a mission, even with men. But all his actual hook-ups and relationships portrayed in comics have been female. And his two major loves have been women. And the level of pursuit of Rogue seems to maybe not support this theory either. Though I guess that wouldn't necessarily effect their relationship. And can almost see bi, but gay would be a huge retcon that doesn't fit the narrative he's had from day one.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 09-18-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Incredible Member

Yeah, of the two options bi is the only that seems possible based on the past without having to make some major changes. I mean, it shouldn’t even effect his relationship with Rogue if he was...but I just wouldn’t trust most marvel writers enough just to use it to cause unnecessary drama. And you know they would.

Yeah I'm afraid that at some point the "Gambit is gay" or "Gambit is actually bi and wants to explore that side of him" is going to be used by a lazy writer or editor to break the marriage.
    If they take that route, neither of them come out of the marriage looking like an awful person and at the same time Marvel also scores some "diversity points" with the SJW crowd of twitter and the media, even if that means ignoring 30 years of Gambit stories.
    I hope it doesn't happen and he remains straight (like he has always been for 3 decades), but with Marvel track record I wouldn't be surprised at all if this eventually happens.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Yes, that was my thinking. Just wondering if I missed something. There is a good discussion on comic vine with some panels depicting some potential subtext with Daken and in Liu's Astonishing, but I took it as innuendo and that he's just a sexually very secure character. Gambit kind of flirts with everyone and I can buy him being somewhat flexible or using his attractiveness to his advantage in a mission, even with men. But all his actual hook-ups and relationships portrayed in comics have been female. And his two major loves have been women. And the level of pursuit of Rogue seems to maybe not support this theory either. Though I guess that wouldn't necessarily effect their relationship. And can almost see bi, but gay would be a huge retcon that doesn't fit the narrative he's had from day one.
    Even those interactions with Daken would require quite a stretch to insinuate that Gambit is bi. As a straight guy, I can say that most guys I know make comments or have made comments to male friends/acquaintances complimenting them if they're looking sharp (or looking good) without any sort of romantic undertones. These are made in jest, these are what in recent times have been called the classic "no homo" compliments. These come from men who are 100% secure in their sexuality. One of my close friends is a bisexual man and he's told me the comments that people are claiming are possible innuendo coming from Gambit are very different to how men actually hit on each other.

For the whole Bi (or gay) thing to be believable and acceptable to me their would have to be some major development that needs to take place over a good amount of time (not rushed). Not to mention it would have to work around 30 years of history that's established his character. And yea I don't trust Marvel of doing a good job of this.

But enough about this. I can't wait to read tomorrow's issue of MMX. Also the solicitations for Marvel's December comics should be coming out soon, I'm interested in seeing the 6th issue of MMX.

Incredible Member

Those examples are why I wouldn’t trust most writers...because here is the thing, if Gambit was bi then he already knows it and a “self discovery” storyline that may work for some characters, wouldn’t ring that true for him. And being bi and monogamous is totally normal, but I feel like it would just be used to be lazy, like you said. Iceman is a great example because honestly, I Dont mind that he is gay. Personally, I think It kind of works. BUT the handling of it has been not great in my opinion. The execution matters and can make things go bad fast.

Indeed, not the way I interpreted the character or the direction I would prefer them to go with him, but trying to be openminded. Judging by fanfics and Twitter response there seems to be some fanbase that support that angle.

But no, I'd rather it not be used because of the likelihood of poor handling and being used as a reason to break up Romy. I wonder if you would alienate one fan base in order to gain another?

Just not sure if JDW meant he would like to change the character where he stands today, which seems like a VERY odd choice considering he just married Rogue, the woman he has been pursuing 5-10 years in book time, versus wanting the character to have been introduced this way originally. Head scratcher for sure.

Anyway, yeah . . . Moving on . . . MMX #3! Annnndddd . . . Solicits today maybe?!

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Gambit is not bi and shouldn`t be changed into bi. Iceman story was written poorly.

I am glad that we have KT.
    I’ve refrained from saying it in the past but since it’s being brought up that was my only issue with Asmus. HE tried to get the Gambit bisexual thing going but they shut it down. I don’t have time to read the other posts on this yet but I’ll be back. I’ve just been wanting to vent that out of my system for forever. Leave long standing characters alone as is. I’m all for gay characters so long as they are new and not being ICEMANed Is that a thing? It is now.

I swear to the high heavens above if any writer ever tries to tarnish their marriage that way there will be HELL to pay.
    Last edited by Romy Ship; 09-18-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Incredible Member

I think? Solicits are today? Fingers crossed!

MR. AND MRS. X #6
    KELLY THOMPSON (W) • DAVID LOPEZ (A)
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    • Gambit and Rogue are throwing a party, and you’re invited!
    • Guest-starring every X-Man their apartment can fit!
    • Hey, who invited the Thieves Guild?!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    MR. AND MRS. X #6
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Soooooo cute!!!!

And Rogue, not in green and no gloves?!!

MR. AND MRS. X #6
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Finally! Thieves Guild is back

MR. AND MRS. X #6
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I love these type of stories.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

MR. AND MRS. X #6
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

This looks like it's going to be a really fun issue.
    Make Good Art

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

MR. AND MRS. X #6
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

MR. AND MRS. X #6
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

It’s so beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.