Page 38 of 196 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Well and I suppose cheating is probably another factor for Gambit as well? The group on Tumblr reminded me that he was very likely seeing Belle when he was with Genevieve. And even though it was part of a job, he did develop feelings for her. Later on there was the Lilli Penrose situation, which one could debate what actually happened and if it even counts since he and Rogue were on again, off again at the time. Then there was the kiss with Storm which was just kind of an odd addition on Claremont's part. All these events are known primarily to the reader though, not the other characters. But it could contribute to why some readers see Gambit in a bad light? But again, the behavior makes sense for a character with his world view for whom sex doesn't necessarily always equal love. I think what matters now is how he behaves going forward now that he has committed to being in a marriage with Rogue, a choice he made for himself this time. I don't think he would cheat on her now, not unless a writer that hates him ever gets hold of him again and wants to stir up controversy. But if readers can recognize that even characters like Cyclops, who have been portrayed as wholesome in the past, have cheated as well then maybe they will be able to look down on Gambit less?
    But that's never been the case. We're on a board where people leveraged Magneto's deeds against Gambit's. I'm glad KT brought up the whole Storm kiss but I still wanted a bit more of an entire explanation it was too casual. It seemed like they'd done it in the past and this was just another go.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    But that's never been the case. We're on a board where people leveraged Magneto's deeds against Gambit's. I'm glad KT brought up the whole Storm kiss but I still wanted a bit more of an entire explanation it was too casual. It seemed like they'd done it in the past and this was just another go.
    I mean, people kind of believe what they want to believe when it comes to fictional characters though, right? And if they decide not to like a character and they aren't necessarily going to try to be logical or look deeper, then they will be stuck in their viewpoint.

Case in point, I really dislike Fantomex. But have I ever read up on or tried to learn more about the character and understand his motivations? Nope. And am I going to? Probably not. I already have enough characters to be invested in and it's easier just to see him as the surface character I dislike. Same goes for Sabretooth. As I know the character, he has been brutal and evil in most of his interactions with the characters I like. But there are plenty of fans of his that don't see him that way because they are deeply invested in what motivates him and how he could change.

So there will always be fans who hate a character for their surface presentations or a specific deed or interaction they remember.

And to that I just shrug, because there's only so much one can do to change a mind that isn't interested in being changed. Some people don't like Gambit, some people don't like Rogue, I might find their reasons nonsensical, but such is life. If they can manage not to be jerks about it, then it's easy enough to agree to disagree. It's the not being jerks about it that becomes problematic on forums. A lot of the tumblr group are pretty done with forums as a result. Which is too bad because we have some great discussions on here and that group has amazing insight to contribute. But I can't blame them either.

But yeah, I'm not sure what Claremont was trying to do with the Storm kiss. If it was going to factor into some scheme down the line or if he was trying to tell us something about their past? I found it odd. Though when Storm kissed him more recently in Gold when he was feeling down about the nanosentinel debacle that felt more like a friend trying to be kind and lift the spirits of a friend than romantic. Honestly I don't think we'll ever know and don't expect it to be brought up by current writers, which I'm just fine with. I like Gambit and Storm as platonic friends, especially considering he met her while she de-aged to a kid. Though I know some people like that pairing. I'm all about a stable Romy relationship though.

Mighty Member

With background art. It's not a dig. Scott cheated on two of his wives. He did that. It's a fact. Reality is not an insult. One of the reasons I love that character. Not because he's a flake, but because how layers he is. He's not the good ol soldier boy people say he is. He's intricate. Flawed.
    Eeeh, Not two wives. The Madelyne incident is misinterpreted, he never intended on leaving her ...he just wanted to check if the real Jean was alive. Madelyne got mad n left.
    He only cheated on Jean and he didn’t cheat for the lols of it.

But let’s not make this a Scott debate.

Gambit on the other hand, I remember him cheating on Rogue too.

Mighty Member

I mean, people kind of believe what they want to believe when it comes to fictional characters though, right? And if they decide not to like a character and they aren't necessarily going to try to be logical or look deeper, then they will be stuck in their viewpoint.

Case in point, I really dislike Fantomex. But have I ever read up on or tried to learn more about the character and understand his motivations? Nope. And am I going to? Probably not. I already have enough characters to be invested in and it's easier just to see him as the surface character I dislike. Same goes for Sabretooth. As I know the character, he has been brutal and evil in most of his interactions with the characters I like. But there are plenty of fans of his that don't see him that way because they are deeply invested in what motivates him and how he could change.

So there will always be fans who hate a character for their surface presentations or a specific deed or interaction they remember.

And to that I just shrug, because there's only so much one can do to change a mind that isn't interested in being changed. Some people don't like Gambit, some people don't like Rogue, I might find their reasons nonsensical, but such is life. If they can manage not to be jerks about it, then it's easy enough to agree to disagree. It's the not being jerks about it that becomes problematic on forums. A lot of the tumblr group are pretty done with forums as a result. Which is too bad because we have some great discussions on here and that group has amazing insight to contribute. But I can't blame them either.

But yeah, I'm not sure what Claremont was trying to do with the Storm kiss. If it was going to factor into some scheme down the line or if he was trying to tell us something about their past? I found it odd. Though when Storm kissed him more recently in Gold when he was feeling down about the nanosentinel debacle that felt more like a friend trying to be kind and lift the spirits of a friend than romantic. Honestly I don't think we'll ever know and don't expect it to be brought up by current writers, which I'm just fine with. I like Gambit and Storm as platonic friends, especially considering he met her while she de-aged to a kid. Though I know some people like that pairing. I'm all about a stable Romy relationship though.

Yea Storm n Gambit was indeed odd. But I read somewhere that Gambit was initially introduced to be Storms love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    Yea Storm n Gambit was indeed odd. But I read somewhere that Gambit was initially introduced to be Storms love interest.
    Hmmm, I've not heard that one. It would be a weird way to go though considering they met while she was de-aged to a child. But maybe? My understanding was Gambit was meant to be a sleeper agent for Sinister that would fall in love with Rogue and turn to their side as a result, but that Claremont never intended for them to become a thing long term. Though he intentionally paired them back up in X-Treme and later in The End, soooooo . . . maybe he changed his mind based on fan reaction? Dunno. I think sometimes the best stories aren't planned but what comes out organically on the page.

Probably has to do with both being thiefs and they have some sort of a flirty friendship over the years, similar to what she has with Logan in the Outback era. Claremont actual plan for Gambit was that he wasn't going to be "real" or something among those lines (maybe conected with Mr Sinister i think) and that he would hook up with Kitty apparently.

BANNED

Not’s Storm’s but Rogue’s or Kitty’s. He had a lot of ideas and went in different directions all the time though.

As for the Xtreme kiss I didn’t read it as anything serious. Ororo and Remy are super close, super hot, but just buds at the end of it.

Lmaooo xD why take a dig at my boy Scott?

Gambit had two serious relationships but he’s not wholesome. He does casual sex too
    There's nothing unwholesome about enjoying casual sex, as long as it's consensual and ethical.

Gambit does strike me as someone who draws a clear distinction between sex and love. He clearly sees sex as something that can be both pleasurable AND useful, which means he crosses that ethical line on occasion. Seduction has been a tool that he has at his disposal, and he has used it effectively. I think there's no argument about that.

But, again, it's worth putting this in the context of his upbringing. He spent at least part of his childhood in a situation where children were trafficked by a pedophile. He spent another part of it on the streets where he would have seen a lot of stuff that a child shouldn't see. The rest of his formative years were essentially spent honing him for one purpose: being a thief. It's unsurprising that he has a somewhat utilitarian view of sex; it is surprising that he still has a deep capacity for genuine love.

I also think that's why he doesn't have kids. He would be incredibly careful, knowing what could happen to a child that wasn't wanted.

Hmmm, I've not heard that one. It would be a weird way to go though considering they met while she was de-aged to a child. But maybe? My understanding was Gambit was meant to be a sleeper agent for Sinister that would fall in love with Rogue and turn to their side as a result, but that Claremont never intended for them to become a thing long term. Though he intentionally paired them back up in X-Treme and later in The End, soooooo . . . maybe he changed his mind based on fan reaction? Dunno. I think sometimes the best stories aren't planned but what comes out organically on the page.
    Yeah. I'd always heard he was intended to be the traitor.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 09-09-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Probably has to do with both being thiefs and they have some sort of a flirty friendship over the years, similar to what she has with Logan in the Outback era. Claremont actual plan for Gambit was that he wasn't going to be "real" or something among those lines (maybe conected with Mr Sinister i think) and that he would hook up with Kitty apparently.
    Yea True, I mean can we blame Storm n Gambit. They both hella hot, but I totally agree about not sticking to their initial plans.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    There's nothing unwholesome about enjoying casual sex, as long as it's consensual and ethical.

Gambit does strike me as someone who draws a clear distinction between sex and love. He clearly sees sex as something that can be both pleasurable AND useful, which means he crosses that ethical line on occasion. Seduction has been a tool that he has at his disposal, and he has used it effectively. I think there's no argument about that.

But, again, it's worth putting this in the context of his upbringing. He spent at least part of his childhood in a situation where children were trafficked by a pedophile. He spent another part of it on the streets where he would have seen a lot of stuff that a child shouldn't see. The rest of his formative years were essentially spent honing him for one purpose: being a thief. It's unsurprising that he has a somewhat utilitarian view of sex; it is surprising that he still has a deep capacity for genuine love.

I also think that's why he doesn't have kids. He would be incredibly careful, knowing what could happen to a child that wasn't wanted.
    about the wholesome thing, I was mostly thinking of sleeping around while being in relationship since they mentioned scott.

Aww the last part really got me ( The fact he still show love and waited so long for Rogue already makes him a quality bf.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

One does not casually make out while wet and naked next to a moon lit waterfall. I don't know ow what kind of hippie activities you guys get into with your friends but that situation was much more on "odd" side than "meh" which is why Storm said Rogue would kill them both for it, right before she continued making out with him. Gambit was NOT single at the moment. So no, in my universe it's not ok to just make out with a wet naked woman.

Im a Gambit superfan and even I can admit that this was a betrayal on the same level as Rogue going to Magneto after AoX. At least Rogue was longtime single when she made that horrible choice.

And Scott still left his family to check up on an ex girlfriend. Causes are righteous, but from Maddy's standpoint, Scott ran out on her and their son for an old flame. You cannot tell someone they overreacted when their spouse takes off. It's abandonment.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 09-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Mighty Member

One does not casually make out while wet and naked next to a moon lit waterfall. I don't know ow what kind of hippie activities you guys get into with your friends but that situation was much more on "odd" side than "meh" which is why Storm said Rogue would kill them both for it, right before she continued making out with him. Gambit was NOT single at the moment. So no, in my universe it's not ok to just make out with a wet naked woman.

Im a Gambit superfan and even I can admit that this was a betrayal on the same level as Rogue going to Magneto after AoX. At least Rogue was longtime single when she made that horrible choice.

And Scott still left his family to check up on an ex girlfriend. Causes are righteous, but from Maddy's standpoint, Scott ran out on her and their son for an old flame. You cannot tell someone they overreacted when their spouse takes off. It's abandonment.

Yea thats why I said he wasn't wholesome, cz he made out with Storm and they knew she wont like it.

and again, about Maddy ...Scott didn't abandon them, he came back but she was gone. Im not saying she overreacted ... but he didn't "cheat" on her. its just miscommunication.

Not trying to justify Gambit here, but didn't that scene ended with him telling Storm that his heart was with Rogue and that the whole thing won't repeat again?.

Again i'm not condoning the whole thing, just asking for clarification.

Yea thats why I said he wasn't wholesome, cz he made out with Storm and they knew she wont like it.

and again, about Maddy ...Scott didn't abandon them, he came back but she was gone. Im not saying she overreacted ... but he didn't "cheat" on her. its just miscommunication.
    Scott "abandoning" is often missunderstood to be honest, because i think that most people didn't actually read X-Factor, is like when people talk about Logan killing his children it wasn't as simple as that to be honest.

Mighty Member

Not trying to justify Gambit here, but didn't that scene ended with him telling Storm that his heart was with Rogue and that the whole thing won't repeat again?.

Again i'm not condoning the whole thing, just asking for clarification.

I mean, yea he did.

Mighty Member

Scott "abandoning" is often missunderstood to be honest, because i think that most people didn't actually read X-Factor, is like when people talk about Logan killing his children it wasn't as simple as that to be honest.
    Oh My God!!! Yesss! Finally someone gets it. <33