Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    I know what you guys are talking about it. But Gambit has given no hints that he's anything but straight. And I don't trust Marvel with developing a bisexual/gay character that's been a straight character his entire existence after they way they handled Iceman. All of a sudden Jean tells Iceman he's gay without any real development or lead up to it, and Iceman doesn't question it. Not to mention his whole personality changed just right out of the blue. I shudder thinking about how much better that could have been handled, instead it just felt like the rushed it through for the sake of just having a gay x-man.

Fabian is probably referring to 2 things here. One is in his run Courier morphed (I think permanently) into a very attractive woman and Gambit made a couple funny passes at her afterwards. They did eventually kiss close to the end of the series but that was it, and even that moment felt like more of touching empathetic moment than a romantic one. To me this doesn't imply that Gambit is bisexual at all because no interactions between Gambit and Courier had any sort of romantic undertones when Courier was a man. Coupled with the fact that Gambit only made the funny quips at Courier when he became a hot woman only reinforce how he was doing it to tease him and because he was portrayed as a sort of a horndog towards attractive women back then. If you re-read Nicieza's run all this seems painfully obvious. Fabian could also be referring to how James Asmus had plans to reveal that Remy was bisexual but then had to scrap his plans because editorial wouldn't approve them.
    Yes, that was my thinking. Just wondering if I missed something. There is a good discussion on comic vine with some panels depicting some potential subtext with Daken and in Liu's Astonishing, but I took it as innuendo and that he's just a sexually very secure character. Gambit kind of flirts with everyone and I can buy him being somewhat flexible or using his attractiveness to his advantage in a mission, even with men. But all his actual hook-ups and relationships portrayed in comics have been female. And his two major loves have been women. And the level of pursuit of Rogue seems to maybe not support this theory either. Though I guess that wouldn't necessarily effect their relationship. And can almost see bi, but gay would be a huge retcon that doesn't fit the narrative he's had from day one.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 09-18-2018 at 07:53 AM.