Page 172 of 196 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 2938
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    That was the first old series I got after I got into comics this yearand got the back issues of the stuff on my pull list. $43 for all of it on mycomicshop.com, but I DID get it all in floppies. Trades'll be cheaper.
    Alright. Me and my comic book guy are going to have a talk to see what he can do for me. Or I guess it's floppies for me

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    Alright. Me and my comic book guy are going to have a talk to see what he can do for me. Or I guess it's floppies for me
    Do it. Clay Mann has some BEAUTIFUL art, the kitties make a couple appearances, and Remy’s super creative with his powers.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Spectacular Member

That was the first old series I got after I got into comics this yearand got the back issues of the stuff on my pull list. $43 for all of it on mycomicshop.com, but I DID get it all in floppies. Trades'll be cheaper.
    LegoLiz, I highly recommend the Ausmus series. It was high levels of awesome, and Rogue and Remy interacting still interesting to me without having to be a couple. It was a nice bandaid to the whole Mags mess. Rogue and Remy not hating each other, still friends, but still a thread of conflict to branch off into other storylines (about trust issues). The whole Joelle thing I could even tolerate becuz she was so temporary. And Ausmus realizing this too. I recall folks insisting Remy had a photo of him and Laura together on his desk, and nope, it was Rogue. He even said his most favorite panel in the X-World was the Rogue borrowing Remy's powers and throwing those cards in a fight-pose scene with Remy. I know Kelly had made very harsh words about his series, but she honored his continuity for RR's miniseries/MMX.

I'm curious what would have happened if Ausmus was allowed to get the greenlight to reunite Romy. OMG, and with Clay Mann's art???

Quote Originally Posted by smokey78 View Post
    LegoLiz, I highly recommend the Ausmus series. It was high levels of awesome, and Rogue and Remy interacting still interesting to me without having to be a couple. It was a nice bandaid to the whole Mags mess. Rogue and Remy not hating each other, still friends, but still a thread of conflict to branch off into other storylines (about trust issues). The whole Joelle thing I could even tolerate becuz she was so temporary. And Ausmus realizing this too. I recall folks insisting Remy had a photo of him and Laura together on his desk, and nope, it was Rogue. He even said his most favorite panel in the X-World was the Rogue borrowing Remy's powers and throwing those cards in a fight-pose scene with Remy. I know Kelly had made very harsh words about his series, but she honored his continuity for RR's miniseries/MMX.

I'm curious what would have happened if Ausmus was allowed to get the greenlight to reunite Romy. OMG, and with Clay Mann's art???
    Wait, where did Kelly say bad things?
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Spectacular Member

Wait, where did Kelly say bad things?
    You probably weren't aware of it since you seem to be pretty new to comics and all things Gambit/Rogue. But Kelly was a reviewer for CBR before she was a writer. You can search for her reviews there or on comic book roundup. She consistently gave the Gambit series much lower scores than any other reviewer. Although she has recently admitted that she was too hard on it because now she knows how hard it is to write comics.

Also I almost envy the fact that you're new to Gambit fandom because your fandom of the character hasn't been blackened by all the terrible story lines of the 2000s that were followed by years of not being featured (2014-til this year). Man I would probably like Marvel comics and MMX a lot more if I hadn't lived through that. But at the same time I'm glad to have experienced the golden ages of the 90s that were the peak of the character. Not saying it's all been crap since but much of it has been awful.

Yeah, things are pretty great for all my faves.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, things are pretty great for all my faves.
    Enjoy it while you can because I'll warn you with Marvel you never know when they'll decide to take a 180 and completely butcher a character. Or when they decide you're favorite character/characters have been featured too much so they decide to not feature them for years. They'll cancel books at whim's notice. A new writer or editor can come in at any time and make you wish they weren't writing your favorite character. There was a time when I was new to comics and thought Marvel could do no wrong. Oh boy was I incredibly wrong, so enjoy it while you can.

I do not think there's anything hidden in Rogue's past that has to do with blocking his powers, Rogue does not need more drama.

Only the necessary one when it is discovered that Mystique is her true biological mother, and her biological father is Xavier, that would make sense today for me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    Enjoy it while you can because I'll warn you with Marvel you never know when they'll decide to take a 180 and completely butcher a character. Or when they decide you're favorite character/characters have been featured too much so they decide to not feature them for years. They'll cancel books at whim's notice. A new writer or editor can come in at any time and make you wish they weren't writing your favorite character. There was a time when I was new to comics and thought Marvel could do no wrong. Oh boy was I incredibly wrong, so enjoy it while you can.
    You are absolutely right Mateo3000. I totally felt PTSD during the Rogue & Gambit miniseries because I am too used to it going completely and horribly wrong. But now my approach is I am enjoying what I can get while I can because I never thought it would come. For now, Marvel has all my money.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokey78 View Post

Alright! Alright! I’m in. And yes the art alone should have sold me. And what I did read was always awesome (loved gambit justifying his ability to wear pink). Thanks!
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 12-13-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Spectacular Member

As some of you have guessed I am a Gambit fan and have been since the good ol days of the 90s. I don't hate Rogue but I'm not in love with her like Remy is. I don't follow Rogue outside of when she's with Remy but I'm knowledgeable of her past (I really only follow Gambit and Batman, which until recently there was no Gambit in comics for years). I don't relate to those who just hate on Rogue but I'm also not particularly a fan of how she's acted when it comes to Gambit especially since 2010. I went into MMX with an open mind because I was excited to see Gambit featured so heavily in a book, and I thought Kelly could convince me to like Rogue and Romy. I was excited by the prospect of reading a Duo book where two main characters develop together and kick ass together.

So far I have been disappointed. It hasn't been awful or terrible by any means, but the best way to describe this is that I just feel so meh when it comes to MMX. Others won't agree but as a Gambit fan it really feels like a Solo book with a major supporting character that shows up often. All of the major character development beats and action beats have gone to Rogue. I don't want nor do I expect it to tilt all towards Remy but so far he's the exact same character he was in issue 1 as he is in issue 6. I would go as far as to say he is the exact same character he was in issue 6 as he was in issue 1 of R&G. Heck, he's been this supportive and open about his desire to be with/devote himself to Rogue since his harbor speech in Xmen Legacy 248 (which came out in 2011!). Rogue does seem to be a little bit more accepting to him to a very minimal degree in that she actually married him and admits she wants to be with him. But she still pushes him away at the first instance of conflict, puts walls up to block him out, and even trusts Magneto more than she trusts Gambit when it comes to talking about her relationship with Gambit. I'm not even sure what Gambit gets from the relationship because I'm not sure that Rogue actually loves him (maybe she hasn't in years). I know she at least likes him and has great affection for him but how does she actually show her love for him. By not running from him when he called her out on her vows? Because that doesn't seem like a good way for a storyteller to establish that she loves him.

For anyone that doesn't believe I've been reading MMX, I can screenshot the my purchases page on the Marvel Comic Store. But anyways I'm really trying to hang on to this series and really trying to not feel hopeless in regards to this series. But I'm starting to realize that maybe this isn't for someone who's not a hardcore fan of the Rogue/Gambit coupling that wants them together no matter what and that is fine with the status quo staying the same. Like maybe it's not for fans of either Rogue or Gambit who favor one over the other, or who aren't fully satisfied with the way Romy is written.

What do you guys think, is their way that this series could satisfy someone like me? Should I read this series with different expectations or is their a certain way I should interpret Romy that would help me enjoy this more? Also how does Rogue actually show her love for Gambit? What has she has done since 2010 to show that she still loves him?

I have read the asmus solo and X-men Legacy but maybe I've missed something.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 12-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    As some of you have guessed I am a Gambit fan and have been since the good ol days of the 90s. I don't hate Rogue but I'm not in love with her like Remy is. I don't follow Rogue outside of when she's with Remy but I'm knowledgeable of her past (I really only follow Gambit and Batman, which until recently there was no Gambit in comics for years). I don't relate to those who just hate on Rogue but I'm also not particularly a fan of how she's acted when it comes to Gambit especially since 2010. I went into MMX with an open mind because I was excited to see Gambit featured so heavily in a book, and I thought Kelly could convince me to like Rogue and Romy. I was excited by the prospect of reading a Duo book where two main characters develop together and kick ass together.

So far I have been disappointed. It hasn't been awful or terrible by any means, but the best way to describe this is that I just feel so meh when it comes to MMX. Others won't agree but as a Gambit fan it really feels like a Solo book with a major supporting character that shows up often. All of the major character development beats and action beats have gone to Rogue. I don't want nor do I expect it to tilt all towards Remy but so far he's the exact same character he was in issue 1 as he is in issue 6. I would go as far as to say he is the exact same character he was in issue 6 as he was in issue 1 of R&G. Heck, he's been this supportive and open about his desire to be with/devote himself to Rogue since his harbor speech in Xmen Legacy 248 (which came out in 2011!). Rogue does seem to be a little bit more accepting to him to a very minimal degree in that she actually married him and admits she wants to be with him. But she still pushes him away at the first instance of conflict, puts walls up to block him out, and even trusts Magneto more than she trusts Gambit when it comes to talking about her relationship with Gambit. I'm not even sure what Gambit gets from the relationship because I'm not sure that Rogue actually loves him (maybe she hasn't in years). I know she at least likes him and has great affection for him but how does she actually show her love for him. By not running from him when he called her out on her vows? Because that doesn't seem like a good way for a storyteller to establish that she loves him.

For anyone that doesn't believe I've been reading MMX, I can screenshot the my purchases page on the Marvel Comic Store. But anyways I'm really trying to hang on to this series and really trying to not feel hopeless in regards to this series. But I'm starting to realize that maybe this isn't for someone who's not a hardcore fan of the Rogue/Gambit coupling that wants them together no matter what and that is fine with the status quo staying the same. Like maybe it's not for fans of either Rogue or Gambit who favor one over the other, or who aren't fully satisfied with the way Romy is written.

What do you guys think, is their way that this series could satisfy someone like me? Should I read this series with different expectations or is their a certain way I should interpret Romy that would help me enjoy this more? Also how does Rogue actually show her love for Gambit? What has she has done since 2010 to show that she still loves him?

I have read the asmus solo and X-men Legacy but maybe I've missed something.
    Quoted for Truth!
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.