Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Kamala Khan: Ms Marvel Appreciation 2018

Matt locked up the old thread, so here's a replacement. Talk about Kamala Khan here!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So, is anyone excited for Kamala's upcoming appearance in Marvel Rising? = )

Btw, is this Kamala's first appearance in either animation or TV in general? I think she's been featured in several games already, but this is her first media appearance on the screen, methinks?

Also, here's a picture of Kamala by Terry Dodson - I must say, she was the last heroine I would have thought he would be drawing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    So, is anyone excited for Kamala's upcoming appearance in Marvel Rising? = )

Btw, is this Kamala's first appearance in either animation or TV in general? I think she's been featured in several games already, but this is her first media appearance on the screen, methinks?

Also, here's a picture of Kamala by Terry Dodson - I must say, she was the last heroine I would have thought he would be drawing!

Not her first, her first was Avengers Assemble season 3 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Also, here's a picture of Kamala by Terry Dodson - I must say, she was the last heroine I would have thought he would be drawing
    Oh...big fist again. With her powers you would think people could find something different to do.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Why did the last thread get shut down?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Why did the last thread get shut down?
    The mods were under the impression that closing very active appreciation threads that have many views will make pages on the site open faster.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-06-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    The mods were under the impression that closing very active appreciation threads that have many views will make pages on the site open faster.
    Thanks!

I'm super excited that Wilson got the Wonder Woman job. And she has said she's staying on Ms. Marvel. I'm still concerned that she's easing her way into a departure. I can't imagine another writer doing Ms. Marvel... I hope she stays on for a good long time.

That said.. who do you all think would be a good replacement? I have a hard time coming up with more than a few names. The first that came to mind is Sina Grace, partly because of his background but mainly because his Iceman series had a very similar tone to Ms. Marvel and I really enjoyed that series. Other than that.. I really struggle with names that I think could fit.

Who would you like to see?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    Thanks!

I'm super excited that Wilson got the Wonder Woman job. And she has said she's staying on Ms. Marvel. I'm still concerned that she's easing her way into a departure. I can't imagine another writer doing Ms. Marvel... I hope she stays on for a good long time.

That said.. who do you all think would be a good replacement? I have a hard time coming up with more than a few names. The first that came to mind is Sina Grace, partly because of his background but mainly because his Iceman series had a very similar tone to Ms. Marvel and I really enjoyed that series. Other than that.. I really struggle with names that I think could fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh...big fist again. With her powers you would think people could find something different to do.
    Her fist is pretty iconic. Honestly, it's not much different from showing Spider-Man web-swinging. If you're not drawing Kamala often, you may as well go with what's most iconic for a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Thanks!

Magdalene Visaggio's an answer I go to a lot. Nnedi Okorafor would probably be an interesting choice. Kelly Thompson's always an easy option, and I'd definitely like to see her write a bit of Kamala.

What about Saladin Ahmed? He writes Exiles and was one of the contributors to the 50th issue celebration.

And as for animation, yes, she debuted in Avengers Ultron Revolution, which showed her origin. She then joined the All-New All-Different Avengers at the start of season 4, Avengers Secret Wars. She's also appeared in the Spider-Man cartoon, which also depicts her as an Avenger, and in the Japanese anime Future Avengers, which retold her origin.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I've been thinking since it came out but what would people think to the revamped Marvel 2-in-1 having Ms Marvel as the regular? Could shake it up from having The Thing as a constant to Kamala?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Her fist is pretty iconic. Honestly, it's not much different from showing Spider-Man web-swinging. If you're not drawing Kamala often, you may as well go with what's most iconic for a character.

Magdalene Visaggio's an answer I go to a lot. Nnedi Okorafor would probably be an interesting choice. Kelly Thompson's always an easy option, and I'd definitely like to see her write a bit of Kamala.
    The only thing I've read of Visaggio's is the first few issues of Eternity Girl and the Dazzler one shot. I dropped Eternity Girl because I couldn't really follow it and it just didn't click with me. I thought the Dazzler book was ok, pretty heavy handed but I do like the fact that she totally went for it. She had something to say and that's almost always a plus for me. Okorafor is probably the front runner, based on nothing but my speculation, and I'd be ok with that. Thompson is can often be pretty sarcastic and kind of mean with her stuff, and while I actually really like those things, I don't think it would be a good fit for Ms Marvel. But she's smart enough to realize that a Hawkeye tone would be the wrong way to go.

I thought about Ahmed also. I didn't name him because I didn't want to do the obvious "Put the (partly) Middle Eastern guy on it", but after thinking more about it, I say why not. If he's a good fit he's a good fit. His mother was a political activist, which lines up well. I kind of think of Kamala as more of a political activist/future ambassador more than a superhero. Maybe Ahmed's upbringing would provide a great perspective for Kamala. I would prefer a woman to write the book but I don't think it's crucial.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

The only thing I've read of Visaggio's is the first few issues of Eternity Girl and the Dazzler one shot. I dropped Eternity Girl because I couldn't really follow it and it just didn't click with me. I thought the Dazzler book was ok, pretty heavy handed but I do like the fact that she totally went for it. She had something to say and that's almost always a plus for me. Okorafor is probably the front runner, based on nothing but my speculation, and I'd be ok with that. Thompson is can often be pretty sarcastic and kind of mean with her stuff, and while I actually really like those things, I don't think it would be a good fit for Ms Marvel. But she's smart enough to realize that a Hawkeye tone would be the wrong way to go.

I thought about Ahmed also. I didn't name him because I didn't want to do the obvious "Put the (partly) Middle Eastern guy on it", but after thinking more about it, I say why not. If he's a good fit he's a good fit. His mother was a political activist, which lines up well. I kind of think of Kamala as more of a political activist/future ambassador more than a superhero. Maybe Ahmed's upbringing would provide a great perspective for Kamala. I would prefer a woman to write the book but I don't think it's crucial.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What the heck? Saladin Ahmed grew up in Michigan as a normie and had normies for parents compared to Kamala's.

If Okorafor was the person who wrote X-Men Wakanda Forever I might give them a chance.

That is indeed who wrote Wakanda Forever. They're also on Shuri's solo.