Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

It's hard to imagine this title without Wilson considering how much of herself and her style she put into it and how much thta has come to define the series and Kamala, but she was probably never going to stick on the book forever (especially with her writing Wonder Woman now).

Ahmed taking this over is kind of funny considering he's also writing Miles' book. Will he relaunch Nova next ?

"Magnificent Ms. Marvel." I don't mind the adjective, but I'm not sure if it'll catch on.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of different feeling and sensibility Ahmed will bring to it, since he's a different writer then Wilson, and he already teases that the feel of the book will be different moving forward, starting with the art.
    Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Really sad to see, but five years is practically a lifetime at the Big Two these days -- I think Aaron's Thor is the only current continuing series that's still in the same ballpark of having been written by one person for so long. It's a testament to Wilson's (and Alphona's) work on the character that she's still so appealing and that she's lasted this long.
    There's also Ryan North on Squirrel Girl.

BANNED

atleast it didn't get cancelled and GWW gets to end it on her own terms

especially since hte LCS sales were below 20,000 since early 2017

Gonna miss Wilson, she did an excellent work, but I understand that between her work with Wonder Woman and maybe another future project at Marvel, she will be busy. Wish the best for her.

I think that Kamala is in good hands with Ahmed, he already wrote a story for her in the Ms. Marvel issue of the pajama party, and I liked his previous work (especially Black Bolt), so I'm excited for this relaunch (although I could live without the adjective in the title xd).

Saladin Ahmed is definitely the right choice to take over, he's a good writer and happens to be Muslim too. The new direction sounds like it meshes well with Champions, which will probably now be acknowledged more.

Like Bendis on Spider-Man, Willow must've been writing the finale when she got ill causing delays to the end of the run. That's a weird coincidence for sure. And like Bendis, I won't be surprised if Willow now becomes DC exclusive.

Willow's open letter about her exit.
    https://www.newsarama.com/43139-g-wi...departure.html
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-14-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Going to be weird seeing someone else pen Kamala in her solo series but I wish Wilson well in her next project. I don't think I've actually read anything from Saladin Ahmed so I'll be interested to see what he's like.

Ahmed has previously done Black Bolt, Quicksilver No Surrender, Exiles, an Amazing Spider-Man annual, and has just launched Miles Morales Spider-Man.

It's now obvious that the 50th issue was a tryout for new writers.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I do find it pretty nice that Ahmed is a Muslim and writing this. Part of the appeal to me of those earliest Ms. Marvel issues is that they were written by someone who seemed to be familiar with Muslim immigrant family life, which was a really pleasant surprise because I don't see that often. It's easy to make simple mistakes or frame things in ways that seem inauthentic or patronizing.

(Also, I had super low expectations for Marvel, since everything Morrison had to do with Dust was ridiculous. Let alone all the islamophobic and orientalist elements of her introduction, or the fact that Morrison didn't bother to do even the simplest background research on anything he was writing about, Morrison apparently initially planned to make her superpower the ability to blow herself up, which is maybe the only more racist thing I can think of than having her turn into sand.)

Anyways, I just like the idea of Ahmed working on it because I also don't really see him having those problems. Wilson does strike me as the type of person who spends a lot of time in immigrant households and overseas, and while I'm not too sure about Ahmed's background or what his life is like, I'm pretty confident he obviously won't make any negative decisions. Anyways, I really, really liked Quicksilver and Black Bolt, and I think he will probably do a good job here. I need to catch up on his Exiles and check out his Miles Morales to try and get a better idea of his writing style on lighthearted stuff. My hope is that the relaunch will lead to a sales boost.

I also don't really foresee Ahmed shunning the ongoing romantic plotlines from Kamala's own solo in favor of Miles? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Although I'm badly behind in my reading of Ms. Marvel, I'm still very sad to see G. Willow Wilson leave. I have confidence that Saladin Ahmed can do a great job, but it's still sad.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I do find it pretty nice that Ahmed is a Muslim and writing this. Part of the appeal to me of those earliest Ms. Marvel issues is that they were written by someone who seemed to be familiar with Muslim immigrant family life, which was a really pleasant surprise because I don't see that often. It's easy to make simple mistakes or frame things in ways that seem inauthentic or patronizing.

(Also, I had super low expectations for Marvel, since everything Morrison had to do with Dust was ridiculous. Let alone all the islamophobic and orientalist elements of her introduction, or the fact that Morrison didn't bother to do even the simplest background research on anything he was writing about, Morrison apparently initially planned to make her superpower the ability to blow herself up, which is maybe the only more racist thing I can think of than having her turn into sand.)

Anyways, I just like the idea of Ahmed working on it because I also don't really see him having those problems. Wilson does strike me as the type of person who spends a lot of time in immigrant households and overseas, and while I'm not too sure about Ahmed's background or what his life is like, I'm pretty confident he obviously won't make any negative decisions. Anyways, I really, really liked Quicksilver and Black Bolt, and I think he will probably do a good job here. I need to catch up on his Exiles and check out his Miles Morales to try and get a better idea of his writing style on lighthearted stuff. My hope is that the relaunch will lead to a sales boost.

I also don't really foresee Ahmed shunning the ongoing romantic plotlines from Kamala's own solo in favor of Miles? Doesn't really make sense to me.
    Well said. It would make no sense if she goes from being enamored with two guys who aren’t Miles and then suddenly falling for him.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Especially since it's not like she doesn't know him.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Oh, she loves him... platonically. You can tell from the Sitting in a Tree arc in the spider books, where she showed up in a Spider-Gwen issue, concerned because Miles had missed the events of Champions #5 and not got in touch (he'd been on Earth-65 at the time with Gwen), and from Champions #24, in the aftermath of the shooting at Miles's school, it's Kamala who gives Miles words of encouragement and sympathy.

If there's anything more to it than friendship, she's not pushing the agenda.

As cute as the pairing is, I don't see them ever making Miles & Kamala romantic. Didn't they try something like that before with Sam crushing on Kamala?

It’s nice discussing this with rational people who are not blinded by there ship preference. I’m thinking I’m biased cause of my love for Kamala and Bruno.

But you all are right... signs really don’t show it happening. I’ve admitted I don’t think Kamala/Bruno will happen either cause Kamala isn’t allowed to date.

Low-key hoping Ahmed gets Miles and Kamala together in all honesty.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Another thing is Kamala can’t even date.

And another thing it’s been hinted Bruno would convert to Islam.

I doubt Marvel would have an A list character like Miles to convert.