Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    That's awesome. I actually think the answers to why she gets support despite low/average floppy sales have been apparent and available for some time, it's just that for some reason some people choose not to believe them and/or acknowledge that they matter. This is despite all evidence to the contrary.
    I've always figured as much, I just also found it noticeable that her floppy sales seemed to take a real hit at some point.

(I blame Civil War II).
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, same reason why Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl keep going. Their direct market sales are much worse than Ms Marvel's, but digital and TPB keeps them going. Same phenomenon is what got Unstoppable Wasp revived. Kamala is in no danger and anyone who thinks she is needs to shut up.
    She definitely has more in line with those titles then the other mainstream Marvel book in my opinion.

Mighty Member

Yeah, same reason why Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl keep going. Their direct market sales are much worse than Ms Marvel's, but digital and TPB keeps them going. Same phenomenon is what got Unstoppable Wasp revived. Kamala is in no danger and anyone who thinks she is needs to shut up.
    Iceman too. But only direct market monthly floppy sales count to those people, because that fits a narrative.

Relating to those trade numbers, I checked again, and Ms. Marvel vol 1 is the best selling trade at my shop since it debuted. Even the second volume outsells a LOT of "A List" Marvel and DC characters most popular trades.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Kamala Khan: Captain Marvel, wielder of Captain America's shield, and Guardian of the Galaxy. Preview for Cosmic Ghost Rider #3. Donny Cates was just announced as the new GOTG writer, so don't be shocked if we see a lot more of this team.
    Sidebar: Is the Uatu in that preview the original, or is he narrating this before his death (with time-travel hijinks accounting for his appearance here)?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It's set in the future, so I figured he was resurrected.

https://www.newsarama.com/41664-mahm...on-poster.html
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-04-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's set in the future, so I figured he was resurrected.

https://www.newsarama.com/41664-mahm...on-poster.html
    Such a mish-mash of character designs .

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...de-paperbacks/

Half a million copies of Ms. Marvel TPBs sold, and she sells as much in digital as she does in print! Guess there's a definitive answer for why Ms. M is still going strong despite the lower numbers on the Diamond charts lately. Great to hear it
    When they are talking about print sales do they mean sold to actual customers or to retail? It counts as a sale to Marvel either way because the shops cannot return them right? Good job on the digital stuff. I'm trying very hard not to peek behind the curtain when it comes to sales.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I'm so glad that Kamala sells well. Such releaf 'cause we all know how ''emotinal'' The Marvel is about these characters. lol I only buy Omnibuses, guilty as charged... so i have no part in this amazing half a million tpbs sell unfortunatly... But i can't wait for Ms. Marvel Omnibus vol. 2, i will be all over it, when it comes out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    When they are talking about print sales do they mean sold to actual customers or to retail? It counts as a sale to Marvel either way because the shops cannot return them right? Good job on the digital stuff. I'm trying very hard not to peek behind the curtain when it comes to sales.
    That would be sales to people.

Trades generally don't get returned-they stay at the stores.

For the most part books like Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl and yes America are the guys who get reorder a lot. My store can NOT keep them in stock and that is not counting the Girl Scout troops who buy her book.

And at the library-EVERY copy is checked out. AGAIN.

Relating to those trade numbers, I checked again, and Ms. Marvel vol 1 is the best selling trade at my shop since it debuted. Even the second volume outsells a LOT of "A List" Marvel and DC characters most popular trades.
    You will be amazed at what books can't stay in stock in most stores.

Truth be told-I rather have Ms Marvel do 17K in orders and sell 15K than have 150K and only sell 100K. The smaller number forces you to buy the book and not wait on bins like a LOT of those A List guys.

My store doesn't worry about unsold Ms Marvel books. They look at the large piles of unsold A List books that don't sell unless there is a SALE.

Kamala Khan: Captain Marvel, wielder of Captain America's shield, and Guardian of the Galaxy. Preview for Cosmic Ghost Rider #3. Donny Cates was just announced as the new GOTG writer, so don't be shocked if we see a lot more of this team.
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ghost-rider-3/

spoilers:
    Kamala and her Guardians team get vaporized by Galactus immediately on the next page, and the rest of the book is Cosmic GR slaughtering heroes by the truckload as Cable keeps timewarping more and more in.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Myetche; 09-05-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've always figured as much, I just also found it noticeable that her floppy sales seemed to take a real hit at some point.

(I blame Civil War II).

She definitely has more in line with those titles then the other mainstream Marvel book in my opinion.
    Civil War II did hurt it the narrative, imo. It kind of made sense to tie in, given the Carol connection, but the tone just didn't fit Ms. Marvel. It interrupted the flow that the series had going on. The arc felt shoehorned in and disconnected. I know several people who dropped the book because they hated that the larger universe event intruded on her corner, and I can understand that. One of the best things about the book is that it is IN the MU, but not totally OF the MU. It is its own thing, and the CWII stuff hurt that.

Astonishing Member

Civil War II did hurt it the narrative, imo. It kind of made sense to tie in, given the Carol connection, but the tone just didn't fit Ms. Marvel. It interrupted the flow that the series had going on. The arc felt shoehorned in and disconnected. I know several people who dropped the book because they hated that the larger universe event intruded on her corner, and I can understand that. One of the best things about the book is that it is IN the MU, but not totally OF the MU. It is its own thing, and the CWII stuff hurt that.
    CW2 I heard hurt a lot of books, cause no one really wanted it and tieing in just made people loose interest. I am glad Ms. Marvel's solo didn't have a tie-in to Secret Empire just letting the Warriors do there thing was a smart choice.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    CW2 I heard hurt a lot of books, cause no one really wanted it and tieing in just made people loose interest. I am glad Ms. Marvel's solo didn't have a tie-in to Secret Empire just letting the Warriors do there thing was a smart choice.
    I think it was a good choice also. Although Secret Empire is more of a Ms. Marvel story in my mind, because she would definitely take a solid stand against fascism/totalitarianism/the mix of things that Hydra represented. And while she would certainly also be against profiling, as we saw in CWII, the story of her leading a resistance against an oppressive regime already fits nicely with some of the themes in the book. Profiling is an issue that Kamala would feel very strongly about, and I wish it could have been explored at the choosing of Wilson, if and when she wanted to address the topic. Now a potentially powerful and meaningful arc has already been touched on with CWII. Not that she can't go back to the idea, but I think it would have been better to have it be organic.

It was unavoidable. Her idol, vs her Avengers mentor. She actually said it was like her superhero parents getting divorced. What they should've done is tied it more closely to her decision to leave the Avengers and form the Champions. That transition really should've been the last issue of ANAD Avengers, but instead it happened in flashbacks in Champions #1. It could've been handled much better.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

It was unavoidable. Her idol, vs her Avengers mentor. She actually said it was like her superhero parents getting divorced. What they should've done is tied it more closely to her decision to leave the Avengers and form the Champions. That transition really should've been the last issue of ANAD Avengers, but instead it happened in flashbacks in Champions #1. It could've been handled much better.
    I agree with all of that. That decision should have felt much more devastating to Kamala. Really an entire arc, or more, should have been impacted by that "break up", and it should have been explored in her main book. She achieved a lifelong dream, and leaving the Avengers wouldn't be something she did lightly. Not nearly enough page time was devoted to that issue imo. Just another way that CWII tying into Ms Marvel hurt the book imo.

I felt her being a member of the Avengers was rushed, anyway. But that's another story.

Ultimate Member

https://twitter.com/comichron/status...41955261644800

Diamond's data supports this. We've reported 125,000+ collections ordered by comics shops since 2014; we also know, per Bookscan, that the book channel sold nearly twice as many copies in 2016-17 as comics shops. Export, library, and book fair sales likely round out the 500,000.

The graphic novels had more than $1 million in comics shop/book channel sales in 2017, slightly more than the periodical. Underscores a fact about modern comics: once a title's backlist is big enough, monthlies increasingly make their profits by creating more collected editions.
    Comichron on Ms Marvel's trades.

https://twitter.com/gfavrerochexbou/...89707571372032

Guess who is in a textbook.....in France.

Did you know that Ms Marvel was the subjct of a lesson plan in.a French Lit textbook in France?
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 09-05-2018 at 06:37 PM.