Those have been my favorites too. In the past it wasn't used very often as I mentioned. But these days you see it a lot more than with Stan Lee's or Roy Thomas. You get different takes from different writers as to just how close he is to being on the level of Stephen Strange. Bendis seemed to feel that Doom may have a slight edge because of all those lessons he was shown taken by using time travel to learn from past masters of the dark arts, things that Strange may not be aware of.

I can't even remember John Byrne showing Doom using magic very much...just summoning up the Beyonder with it by accident is all I remember and that was after the first Secret Wars. Just before SW, Doom's body was blown to atoms when Silver Surfer and Terrax were fighting and he was trapped in his armor which had fused when Terrax attacked him. Although he did bring back the Ovoid Mind Transfer trick once in a cool way in that story.

IIRC the last time he used it was in his last appearance in Mark Waid's run when he transferred into first Sue's body, then Johnny and then finally in Ben's body. Waid had it wrong though IMO. It the earlier stories, it took a bit of concentration before he could make the switch. In Waid's story, he was jumping from host to host immediately.