Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Well without spoiling anything I guess I can at least say that the art looks even better printed on paper and is great during the whole issue. Ward did something truly beautiful here!

And the story is quite interesting. That's a great featuring for Doom in that Thor book...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's interesting to see a Ditko Doctor Doom, when I'm so used to seeing a Kirby Doom. Thanks for posting that, 616Marvel!

I have not been able to keep up with most of my comics, so I will just lurk and admire the talents of Dell'Otto and his amazing Doom!
    Hey again, Rev!!!

Yes a Ditko Doom is interesting... but as an absolute fan of Ditko, I must admit that Doom is not really his stuff...

Btw it's interesting: it's really a Kirbyesque character...

(Now I regret never seeing a Galactus by Ditko or Eternity or Dormammu by Kirby... Not to talk about the Question or Darkseid... )

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Well hello there and welcome back! As you can see, this thread got rebooted due to some problems with the servers or something. I miss seeing our old post and view counts. We were getting close to a million views as I recall...about 800,000.

I don't have any Dell'Otto but will you take a new Alex Ross? (and he got the eyes correct and made them brown instead of blue)Saw this on his Twitter. He's been promoting his new book of Marvel Art

You can see his dueling Namors in this promo for the book.

The art in the preview pages that Abe posted on the previous page look pretty good too. At least I will have something to read Wednesday.

That is an amazing Doctor Doom. Alex Ross has out done himself. I definitely need to pick up that Marvelocity book.

Thank you! Yes, I finally was lured back, though I'm not sure how active I'll be this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Hey again, Rev!!!

Yes a Ditko Doom is interesting... but as an absolute fan of Ditko, I must admit that Doom is not really his stuff...

Btw it's interesting: it's really a Kirbyesque character...

(Now I regret never seeing a Galactus by Ditko or Eternity or Dormammu by Kirby... Not to talk about the Question or Darkseid... )
    Hi Abe! I do like Ward's art. Looking forward to seeing that issue.

I have to agree. Kirby gives Doom far more presence. But Ditko's style makes his characters sing.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I decided to write my own review Doom's appearance of Thor so here goes

Thor #6 - Midgard’s Final Doom

I admit to only casually keeping up with the latest iteration and for some reason Jason Aaron has decided to set things in a far distant future where the Earth was barren....and so forth. Not exactly a unique idea these days. We’ve had many works of fiction in books and film that take place in a dystopian future where some kind of event changed things for the worse. What makes the story interesting is what you do with that idea.

The artist Christian Ward does give us a vibrantly colored work here. It is a somewhat interesting tale of god vs devil but not in capital letters, with Thor as the former and Iron Fist/Starbrand/Sorcerer Supreme/Ghost Rider Doom as the latter. Mainly Doom is there to be this distant Earth’s Devil in the flesh but we know very little about how this came about. We just know he is the most powerful Doom there has ever been. I have to assume that all these combined powers allows for the fact that Doom has become immortal and has lived for a thousand centuries.
    So the story ends as one expects: the Greatest Devil against the Greatest God known as Thunderbird, King Phoenix, God of Fire. After an epic battle of many years that shake the Earth itself, causes volcanic eruptions, Thor the Thundergod defeats the Devil Doom.

The ending did leave me a bit disappointed in that spoilers:
    because another big Bad God is on the way and Loki is waiting in the wings. That's the way it should be anyway since Loki has always been Thor's main rival.
    end of spoilers So even as epic as Aaron makes this battle seem, it's really just a preliminary bout.

There was really no room in the story to let us know more about this future Doom and why he's angered by "blessed Latveria" being a garden and prefers everything turn to ash. Apparently he's been away somewhere out there in the cosmos and discovers all this upon his return. For me sometimes the Devil is in the details and we just don't know very much about this Doom. He's just there to play the role of Devil to a God. It does have a wonderful cover and pretty pictures inside.

iMan 42s

The way it sounds makes it seem Doom is more an antagonist than a devil. Satan does indeed mean adversary, but the way it's described and without the proper context, you can refer to all villains as Satan.

Maybe the reason I'm bothered by this is that the Devil is more than just an antagonistic force. It's something that's right for all the wrong reasons, it's a snake whispering in your ear that convinces you to cross the line, it's a being of evil and yet we can see so much of ourselves in it because at the end of the day, it is us. So just making a really powerful Doctor Doom for Thor to hit for a book just kind of misses the point to me. To me it seems that Jason Aaron went along with the more simplified context of the Devil in that it's a destructive force and forgot why the Devil is scary in the first place.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Well said. You nailed the reason why I found Aaron's use of Doom in this story to be lacking. Does he wander this universe just being cranky? Even at his worst, there was always some purpose or motivation to what he did. Even when the Molecule Man proposed that Doom had to become a serial killer of many versions of Molecule Man, Doom said that he saw "very little grace " in that task
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-19-2018 at 10:13 AM.

I love your review, Iron Maiden! It's great!

Will try to develop a bit more my thoughts on the issue later- but you guys have said it all.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Have not seen it, yet, but I figure it will be worth it for just Christian Ward's art. Thanks for the review!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Hi all! Occasional CBR lurker, first time poster here. A very random request but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an archive of the old CBR's Doom Appreciation Thread? I was trying to find it a while ago using the Wayback Machine but no luck, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by connorhawkes View Post
    Hi all! Occasional CBR lurker, first time poster here. A very random request but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an archive of the old CBR's Doom Appreciation Thread? I was trying to find it a while ago using the Wayback Machine but no luck, unfortunately.
    Hi connorhawkes and Welcome

My signature has a link to the second reboot that started in 2014 and was recently closed due to the issues with the server. The one before that, I was able to save in pieces as PDFs. I was kind of disappointed our second one got locked because IIRC we had over 5,000 posts.

Bonus to start the week,

Here's a recent work by artist Bob Hall, who did the GN Emperor Doom

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-22-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Oh that's great, thank you! I'll check it out right now. Aww, the thread before that is in PDFs? So I guess no way to access it online then. :/

Also that's a great Doom!

We need a Doom ongoing ASAP.

doom.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Agree! Really been feeling the loss of Infamous Iron Man, lately. Even Two-in-One, back when Doom content was somewhat consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Well said. You nailed the reason why I found Aaron's use of Doom in this story to be lacking. Does he wander this universe just being cranky? Even at his worst, there was always some purpose or motivation to what he did. Even when the Molecule Man proposed that Doom had to become a serial killer of many versions of Molecule Man, Doom said that he saw "very little grace " in that task
    I could see Victor in his later years telling kids to "get off his planet".

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I could see Victor in his later years telling kids to "get off his planet".
    Now that you mention it....

Seriously though, we've seen versions of Doom as a destroyer (Thor #6) and then versions where he is builder/restorer as in Doom 2099, Secret Wars 2015, etc. I just would expect a Doom that old would gain some wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by connorhawkes View Post
    Oh that's great, thank you! I'll check it out right now. Aww, the thread before that is in PDFs? So I guess no way to access it online then. :/

Also that's a great Doom!
    I saved all the PDFs and was trying to think of a way to make them accessible. If there was interest, I suppose I could create a public folder in Imageshack.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    We need a Doom ongoing ASAP.

doom.jpg
    I really do miss Infamous Iron Man, even though I did have some issues with Bendis's writing. Like redefining the mother/child relationship. Canon says that Victor was very young when she was killed, not as old as we saw in the flashbacks in Infamous IM.