Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Those have been my favorites too. In the past it wasn't used very often as I mentioned. But these days you see it a lot more than with Stan Lee's or Roy Thomas. You get different takes from different writers as to just how close he is to being on the level of Stephen Strange. Bendis seemed to feel that Doom may have a slight edge because of all those lessons he was shown taken by using time travel to learn from past masters of the dark arts, things that Strange may not be aware of.

I can't even remember John Byrne showing Doom using magic very much...just summoning up the Beyonder with it by accident is all I remember and that was after the first Secret Wars. Just before SW, Doom's body was blown to atoms when Silver Surfer and Terrax were fighting and he was trapped in his armor which had fused when Terrax attacked him. Although he did bring back the Ovoid Mind Transfer trick once in a cool way in that story.

IIRC the last time he used it was in his last appearance in Mark Waid's run when he transferred into first Sue's body, then Johnny and then finally in Ben's body. Waid had it wrong though IMO. It the earlier stories, it took a bit of concentration before he could make the switch. In Waid's story, he was jumping from host to host immediately.

Did everybody read Thor #5????

SPOILERS

Fin Fang Foom has a new Master....and you can guess who it is

Not yet but I've seen the cover of issue #6 in the advance solicitations for October. I have it at home and will read it later

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    Did everybody read Thor #5????
    I did and, man, that last page was AMAZING!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Those have been my favorites too. In the past it wasn't used very often as I mentioned. But these days you see it a lot more than with Stan Lee's or Roy Thomas. You get different takes from different writers as to just how close he is to being on the level of Stephen Strange. Bendis seemed to feel that Doom may have a slight edge because of all those lessons he was shown taken by using time travel to learn from past masters of the dark arts, things that Strange may not be aware of.

I can't even remember John Byrne showing Doom using magic very much...just summoning up the Beyonder with it by accident is all I remember and that was after the first Secret Wars. Just before SW, Doom's body was blown to atoms when Silver Surfer and Terrax were fighting and he was trapped in his armor which had fused when Terrax attacked him. Although he did bring back the Ovoid Mind Transfer trick once in a cool way in that story.

IIRC the last time he used it was in his last appearance in Mark Waid's run when he transferred into first Sue's body, then Johnny and then finally in Ben's body. Waid had it wrong though IMO. It the earlier stories, it took a bit of concentration before he could make the switch. In Waid's story, he was jumping from host to host immediately.
    I think i remember more stories with Doctor Doom using cosmic powers or trying to get cosmic powers that i remember stories with Doctor Doom using mystical powers.
    Doctor Doom tried to steal the Silver Surfer cosmic powers or him trying to keep the Beyonder power in the original Secret Wars story.More recently in the Secret Wars by Hickman he have cosmic powers as well.
    While there are not many stories that have Doctor Doom using mystical powers i would say that by having now aparently Doctor Doom just using mystical powers acording to the FF:1 story itīs something that makes sense in the continuity of Doctor Doom.
    Thank you for the info about Mark Waid run in Fantastic Four.I will have to read that run one day,as a fan of Mark Waid stories i am intrigued to know how were the stories of Fantastic Four by him.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I think i remember more stories with Doctor Doom using cosmic powers or trying to get cosmic powers that i remember stories with Doctor Doom using mystical powers.
    Doctor Doom tried to steal the Silver Surfer cosmic powers or him trying to keep the Beyonder power in the original Secret Wars story.More recently in the Secret Wars by Hickman he have cosmic powers as well.
    While there are not many stories that have Doctor Doom using mystical powers i would say that by having now apparently Doctor Doom just using mystical powers apcording to the FF:1 story itīs something that makes sense in the continuity of Doctor Doom.
    Thank you for the info about Mark Waid run in Fantastic Four.I will have to read that run one day,as a fan of Mark Waid stories i am intrigued to know how were the stories of Fantastic Four by him.
    I think many here would consider the most controversial arc in Waid's run to be Unthinkable. Now one thing about that story is that Doom abandons science uses magic (oops, had to edit this) to attack the FF. I'll leave it at that so that you can read it and decide for yourself. My opinion is that Unthinkable is one of the better Fantastic Four stories but not a very good Doom story

And since this week's Thor was mentioned, I would just like to drop in the cover for next month's issue. I don't think it would be spoilery to say after reading this week's Thor #5, it looks like we will see a more mystical version of Doom. Ribic does such fantastic covers IMO. He sells a lot of them too and I wouldn't doubt if this one goes for around $5,000

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think many here would consider the most controversial arc in Waid's run to be Unthinkable. Now one thing about that story is that Doom abandons science uses science to attack the FF. I'll leave it at that so that you can read it and decide for yourself. My opinion is that Unthinkable is one of the better Fantastic Four stories but not a very good Doom story

And since this week's Thor was mentioned, I would just like to drop in the cover for next month's issue. I don't think it would be spoilery to say after reading this week's Thor #5, it looks like we will see a more mystical version of Doom. Ribic does such fantastic covers IMO. He sells a lot of them too and I wouldn't doubt if this one goes for around $5,000

This is great work. Thor and Doom look great here.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I like how scary Ribic makes Fin Fang Foom.

Here's a new work by Maleev posted on his twitter a few days back. Even though he's not doing Doom anymore he still does a lot of Doom paintings!

On another note, in a couple of days the MTIO will be out but I think the chances are few that Zdarsky will update us on what happened to Doom after he took off to chase down Rachna and the multisect. I guess I wanted to see Infamous Iron Man one more time. I also wonder when will we ever get an update on Amara.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-23-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Gorgeous art by Maleev!...

(I miss him on a solo Doom book...)
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I just wish I could afford one of his commissions! Either Maleev or Ribic.

So do I, IM, so do I...

On a side know I just had a look at Maleev's Twitter account and saw this :

Planing on doing the whiskey tour in Scotland, Islay. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Glad to have a confirmation that he is a fan of Islay whisky... (without a E btw...) as he made Victor and then Ben two connoisseurs in that important subject!

Still don't know what to think about our current Doom... The reception in Latveria will give us some answers... Till then : wait and see... That's also why I don't post much yet in this new thread. I prefer not to speculate.

I'll just add that I love all those great pages and scans, and they make me wish that Marvel will someday put out an giant anthology book for Doom in the same format than the gorgeous recent Fantastic Four Behold Galactus... It would be so cool!

And I was about to forget : this week will be out a new volume of the Thor Epic collection. I think it will collect the issues with Doom by - IIRC - Roy Thomas and Big John Buscema. I never read them, so that's already pretty cool.

Edit : I was wrong, the team is Lee Buscema Sinnot.
    Last edited by Abe; 09-23-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    So do I, IM, so do I...

On a side know I just had a look at Maleev's Twitter account and saw this :

Glad to have a confirmation that he is a fan of Islay whisky... (without a E btw...) as he made Victor and then Ben two connoisseurs in that important subject!

Still don't know what to think about our current Doom... The reception in Latveria will give us some answers... Till then : wait and see... That's also why I don't post much yet in this new thread. I prefer not to speculate.

I'll just add that I love all those great pages and scans, and they make me wish that Marvel will someday put out an giant anthology book for Doom in the same format than the gorgeous recent Fantastic Four Behold Galactus... It would be so cool!

And I was about to forget : this week will be out a new volume of the Thor Epic collection. I think it will collect the issues with Doom by - IIRC - Roy Thomas and Big John Buscema. I never read them, so that's already pretty cool.

Edit : I was wrong, the team is Lee Buscema Sinnot.
    I forgot they came out with that in an Epic collection. I have that era of Thor in the Masterworks editions. Great work by John Buscema on Doom.....and that guy called Thor!

I know what you mean about speculating on what direction Doom will go in. I don't want to speculate too much either since it tends to lead to disappointment. I guess we'll get a big indicator of where Slott is going shortly.

I wonder what everyone thinks here....do you prefer that Slott forgets all about Amara and the child she's carrying or do you want to see him include this in his plans for the title. Somehow I just have a bad feeling about it all.

I really think it was a bit unfair of Bendis to burden the next writer with that before he left Marvel. I suppose Tom Brevoort approved of it but it still annoys me is that we never saw that relationship evolve to that point. In that respect it still doesn't make sense to me that she is pregnant.

Amen to all that you said, Iron Maiden! (Even to the questions I don't answer to... )

No time to post much tonight. But I got Thor #5 in the LCS in front of my bus stop... and yes! That last page is definitively amazing!
    Last edited by Abe; 09-24-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

As a reader of Spider-Man comics while Dan Slott was writing the stories i can say that Dan Slott stories build up heavily in the previous continuity of the characters.
    So i am guessing that the developments of Doctor Doom will be kept in the upcoming Doctor Doom stories.

Good to know, Whiteshark!