Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Let Rogue finish and enjoy her honeymoon after all the intensity of the last few years. I'm sure she'll have a significant role to play in the X-Books in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I hope she makes it on a team, but my fear is the X-editors will be like, "Look we married her off to Gambit and they have their own book. Read her there." It's like now she is married off so they don't have to use her anymore.

Think about it, Rogue has not been on a flagship X-book in 20 years. Rogue was always relegated to a second tier book and then just given to the Avengers editors. It feels like when the year 2000 hit, the big writers and editors just didn't like her. Whedon, Mark Miller and Grant Morrison were all not fans and the awful movies did not help bring in newbies to the fandom. I feel like Rogue is stuck in this loop of x-creators not really digging her character. I dunno, maybe overreacting, but it feels true. :-/
    Yeah, I hope they don't do that either. Especially if it's a writer like Milligan who thinks the relationship needs cliche drama to be entertaining (conflict is fine if done well).

It hasn't been the best time for Rogue in the X-Office for awhile yeah, but thankfully we did get some spotlight with Carey's Rogue.

IMO Second Coming and Legacy were the high points for Rogue in the past two decades. I think a writer at the main helm not being interested in using Rogue can be a problem, but what also adds to it is if characters the writer wants to push forward don't have strong connections to her. The current story-lines running with the 05, Jean Grey, Cyclops, etc... none of those circles of characters have reason to really talk or seek Rogue's counsel out.

Hopefully we can get an event or storyline that is more personal for Rogue and that would require or make sense to use her more in the spotlight. Then again, impersonal stories can work too, like Necrosha and Second Coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta
    Let Rogue finish and enjoy her honeymoon after all the intensity of the last few years. I'm sure she'll have a significant role to play in the X-Books in the coming months.
    Eh, I don't really think a honeymoon is reason not to get involved with big plots or books. Look at Jean and Cyclops iirc. Besides, we've already had that period of romance 'down period' with X-Treme, so I wouldn't really want a repeat.

Both of them are already basically back in action as seen in Mr & Mrs X anyway.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 08-26-2018 at 10:18 AM.

It's now been 4 years since Rogue lost control of her power once again. In that time we have neither found out the root cause, investigated the circumstances that caused her to once again have no power control, or develop a strategy to have "Cure" the control problem. Also, why would an Avengers editor want Rogue to once again not be able to control her power once again? I, like most everyone else on this thread (or it's predecessor.) screamed Bloody Murder at the thought of 28 years of charactor progression down the drain! I have thoughts about why it happened, but alot of my conjecture ends up wrong. (Like how Zub "baited" us about MIM.)
    The other thing I'm concerned about is that in the Gambit and Rogue thread, there is talk about Belladonna and dealing with Remy and the Thieves Guild. Thing is, Rogue has nothing in her background to balance this stuff because of the lack of her character development outside the X-Men. Rogue's been around for 37 years and yet Marvel editors still can't give her a last name? Can't give her a complete nature family background? Why has'nt there been a writer for Rogue,who cared enough to develop a charactor background like Fabian Nicieza did for Gambit, for Rogue?

You know, I don't mind visiting the individual character pages, it's just that in the past they didn't feel as welcoming for fans of BOTH Rogue and Gambit. So when I want to talk about either character, together or separate, I tend to gravitate there to chat instead. Same can be said for the Gambit fan page.

Lately, page for page, Rogue is getting a lot more time and character development than a lot of other major characters at the moment. If it's team dynamics, big events, and leadership you miss seeing her in though, then I think that is coming. Kelly is a huge Rogue fan and Rogue is prominently featured in the promo art, so I would be surprised if she doesn't have a big role in Dissambled and shake out on a major team. Maybe even as a team Captain? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    It's now been 4 years since Rogue lost control of her power once again. In that time we have neither found out the root cause, investigated the circumstances that caused her to once again have no power control, or develop a strategy to have "Cure" the control problem. Also, why would an Avengers editor want Rogue to once again not be able to control her power once again? I, like most everyone else on this thread (or it's predecessor.) screamed Bloody Murder at the thought of 28 years of charactor progression down the drain! I have thoughts about why it happened, but alot of my conjecture ends up wrong. (Like how Zub "baited" us about MIM.)
    The other thing I'm concerned about is that in the Gambit and Rogue thread, there is talk about Belladonna and dealing with Remy and the Thieves Guild. Thing is, Rogue has nothing in her background to balance this stuff because of the lack of her character development outside the X-Men. Rogue's been around for 37 years and yet Marvel editors still can't give her a last name? Can't give her a complete nature family background? Why has'nt there been a writer for Rogue,who cared enough to develop a charactor background like Fabian Nicieza did for Gambit, for Rogue?
    So it seems like there is full intention from KT to address Rogue's power control issues within MMX. Why they reset her seems obvious though, her power set with full control can make her basically invincible in most scenarios. And there are only so many stories you can tell with an invincible character. But I agree it's overdue to be addressed.

I agree Rogue's background story with the hippies Owen and Pricilla was fairly lame and weird. To me, it would have been more interesting and meaningful if they were regular humans that drove their daughter away because of their fear and prejudice. And it has never been clear at what age and under what circumstances she came to be with Destiny and Mystique. Currently no one seems interested in exploring that story? But perhaps in time?
    Last edited by AppleJ; 08-26-2018 at 01:23 PM.

They should just make it simple. Absorbing Wonder Man (even though Deadpool eventually freed him from her, she still has a copy of his powers) destabilised her power absorb ability. So if she wanted to regain full control of it, she'd have to lose her flight and super strength.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    So it seems like there is full intention from KT to address Rogue's power control issues within MMX. Why they reset her seems obvious though, her power set with full control can make her basically invincible in most scenarios. And there are only so many stories you can tell with an invincible character. But I agree it's overdue to be addressed.

I agree Rogue's background story with the hippies Owen and Pricilla was fairly lame and weird. To me, it would have been more interesting and meaningful if they were regular humans that drove their daughter away because of their fear and prejudice. And it has never been clear at what age and under what circumstances she came to be with Destiny and Mystique. Currently no one seems interested in exploring that story? But perhaps in time?
    It not just Rogue losing control after Xavier "fixed" her. The root cause of that power control loss has never been dealt with. What happened 4 years ago to trigger this? The vague "It's all Wanda's fault" does not answer or solve the "breakdown" of her control. I still feel the first place that needs to explored is Rogue's sub-conscious. I believe the events that took place 4 years ago may have triggered a psychological shock to Rogue's sub-conscious, perhaps to an event in Rogue's life that took place when she was a teenager. I agree Carey's "Control" was too powerful. A balance the Ionic enhancement along with the mental ability to turn the absorbing ability on and off at her discression is what Rogue needs.
    As far as Rogue covering up her name and family background, when I starting reading Rogue more than 20 years ago and buying up all the back issues and tpb's to "catch up", I was of 2 thoughts. One was she was covering things up because of something she did. The other was a bit more noble. Rogue was covering up her name and family background to protect her nature family's integrity and good name. I was looking at this through the concept of "Southern Honor".
    Last edited by mikeb; 08-26-2018 at 02:28 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They should just make it simple. Absorbing Wonder Man (even though Deadpool eventually freed him from her, she still has a copy of his powers) destabilised her power absorb ability. So if she wanted to regain full control of it, she'd have to lose her flight and super strength.
    I dont want her to lose flight and strength. I love her having those powers.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    That is why I believe the source of loss of control may be rooted in Rogue's sub-conscious. Also, in UnCanny Avengers Vol II, #1, the High Evolutionary's Scientist Supreme states: "Yet you hold his (Simon's) beautiful gift with no cellular deconstruction, no strain whatsoever." The sub-conscious mind can have control over things at times do to the reaction to a tramatic shock or event.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post

Agree 100%.

taking those powers away from her in the first pace was a big mistake, I'm glad they finally corrected it.

Yeah, it just feels wrong to have Rogue not have the flying brick powers to me. I think I'd like to see her ultimately limit her absorption so that she can use their powers for a fight but taking memories/knowledge costs her and the other party more, so it's a last resort. I.e. small "downloads" for temporary powers are fine and controllable, but anything more would be a potential problem, unless she's worked on her mental walls like she started in the Icons Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by sbo View Post
    Agree 100%.

taking those powers away from her in the first pace was a big mistake, I'm glad they finally corrected it.
    I insist she must have control over her powers of absorption again, and that's not why she should lose the flying brick powers.

I also do not agree that she loses her flying brick powers, makes her "visually stunning and almost invincible" besides that the character was originally creator with that powerset, but you have to be sincere to make Rogue one of the most powerful characters of MU are the powers of absorption, and all its potential and possibilities, and not those of flying brick, which is something very generic.

I think it's time to give him back control, and that does not mean he has to lose the flying brick powers.

In fact, in all alternate or future versions where Rogue has control over his powers, in almost all of them he also has the flying brick powers.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Thompson is a fan of her, so I am optimistic that she will have a decent role to play in Disassembled. That will position her to get some love in whatever books are launched after the event.

And, yeah, I would like her and Gambit to be on different teams. They need to be individual characters too.

With that said, at least some of the MMX discussion has been purely Roguecentric, e.g. her level of invulnerability.
    That's true Miss Tompson loves Rogue and it's something that you notice in her writing.

And if I think that a lot of the Rogue fans are extremely pessimistic, I'm not, we have a book that is just adventures of Rogue and Gambit, where he will have good fights and character development and power without a doubt, and he is already having, Kelly is pure gold.

Those who complain that it is not official yet in a team book, we have to wait, there are events and books to finish, and by appearing, I'm almost certain that Rogue will be part of Uncanny, or of X-Men, but I prefer that come back to Uncanny.

The thread has not had much movement, because the ROMY thread has had a lot of discussion about Rogue mainly-

By the way MMX this great fun action, everything, and complain? Kelly has shown the level of invulnerability of Rogue as it deserves a 100 calass without leaving without a scratch with things that would annihilate any other X-Man, for example collisions of spaceships or that you explode a grenade in the chest XD.

In addition the action was great Gambit was pike, but even more Rogue, you have to be sicneros there is a very high power difference between the couple, this is inevitable, but even so Gambit was not bad, but I love that Rogue used all his poderset , I use the invulnerability, the flight, the super strength and its speed, but what I love the most, is that I use its absorption several times, that's why I love Kelly uses everything from Rogue, not like Duggan who forgot those powers.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

Actually, if there are indications of the approximate age of Rogue, he was between 7 and 8 years old.

The parents Hippies susnto must be completely ignored, because the story at the beginning is stupid and incoherent.

I have my theory that Mystique is possibly the biological mother of Rogue, which could easily be explained, and would make sense, also does not fall into continuity error, some would say Rogue absorbed Mystique several times, true, but absorbed it when not he had control of his powers of absorption.

Rogue without control was always excellent to use other people's powers, sometimes even maximizing them, but in the part of her powers that takes thoughts and psyches, without control this part was never very precise, at least not as it was in the taking of powers.

_________

Rogue with control of its powers is excellent for precise mental scans, even much better than any specialized telepath, it was seen in XML that it was better in mental scans than Xavier and Emma, ​​but without control many times Rogue was not precise in absorbing all the information , and Mystique can have this information blocked mentally, besides she is mentally insane, so that could have interfered, or the misogyny Rogue does not want to accept it, in short this can be taken very easily.

And it would explain why Raven has an excessive love for Rogue, and with her biological son she cares little or nothing.

If Rogue was raised by Mystique and all that, but since Mystique decided to raise her and love her so much, without having any ties it is strange, besides Mystique is the one that found Anna, very convenient too, besides having found her before she developed her powers , so I was a human, Mystique did not have to have any interest, because I had such a powerful mutation, because I still did not develop it, besides being human, raven always saw it more pro-mutant, not at the extreme magneto but something So, it is very strange this casual adoption by a psychopath, and that he ended up loving her so much, unless she really knew who he was, and decided to recover the daughter she abandoned.

Of course, that might be why Anna's maiden name was never revealed. If she's Mystique's daughter for real, then her surname is Darkholme, which I wouldn't blame her for keeping secret!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman