Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    The traumatic experience I was thinking of took place when Rogue was 17 and had nothing to do with her natural family.
    Gotcha. Well that's probably a separate issue/theory then.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Now actually having a writer brave enough to address this and even possibly tie it to Rogue's power control issues would be awesome. I think writers are hesitant to answer big mysteries or change status quo, maybe for fear you take away something vital from a character by taking away the mystery? Or for fear of angering certain fans? Just look how PO'd some X-23 fans are about her recent reveal.
    That would be an interesting angle. Rogue constantly absorbs people's memories and identities. What if it leads to an erosion of her core self, particularly in her long term memories? What if that instability is part of the reason why control eludes her, because it's like building something stable out of wet sand in a tide?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    If you are talking about kids ending up in foster care, I get your point. I know from personal experience. Between the ages of 12 and 18 I was what you would call "a temporary ward of the court" and in a foster home.
    Literally forgetting the place and people you lived with for the first 8 to 14 years under healthy and normal circumstances? I don't think that happens very often. Even very small children can have vivid memories of loved one from an early age. Now if trama and duress are involved I can buy it, such as amnesia from a head injury or subconsciencous dissociation due to traumatic memories. Choosing to actively ignore or pretend you forget that timeframe . . . Either again speaks of a very bad experience or a deep need to protect someone, maybe both?
    Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    kids 8 to 13 forgetting their parents happens every day ? No. Separated from their parents. Of course, but straight up forgetting who they are? Forever? That's 3rd grade man. I got a 7 year old and I think she's way too developed to just up forget like that. 3-5, more than likely. I think once kids start making friends with each other and become socially awakened, it's not that easy to just reset them.
    Not so much 8 year old but teen runaways are a thing that happen ALL the time. Its not inplausible to believe that a 13 year old would leave home and not look back. At this point its been like 13 years for Rogue so her being detached from her past makes sense. Her bio family is nothing but a distant memory

I guess Im confused by you and I dont claim to know everything about Rogue. Has she stated that she outright has no memory/recollection of her family? Thats what seems to be implied by donpricetag's post and seemingly reinforced with previous posts about trauma causing one to forget. I was always under the impression that Rogue doesnt talk about her family bc that is her past life that she's let go, not bc she literally forgot like Wolverine did (although he was messed with)

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    That would be an interesting angle. Rogue constantly absorbs people's memories and identities. What if it leads to an erosion of her core self, particularly in her long term memories? What if that instability is part of the reason why control eludes her, because it's like building something stable out of wet sand in a tide?
    Ooohhhh, that WOULD be an interesting angle! And a nice way to harmonize and sweep all the inconsistencies of her past from different writers under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not so much 8 year old but teen runaways are a thing that happen ALL the time. Its not inplausible to believe that a 13 year old would leave home and not look back. At this point its been like 13 years for Rogue so her being detached from her past makes sense. Her bio family is nothing but a distant memory

I guess Im confused by you and I dont claim to know everything about Rogue. Has she stated that she outright has no memory/recollection of her family? Thats what seems to be implied by donpricetag's post and seemingly reinforced with previous posts about trauma causing one to forget. I was always under the impression that Rogue doesnt talk about her family bc that is her past life that she's let go, not bc she literally forgot like Wolverine did (although he was messed with)
    Sorry for the confusion! So it's been presented inconsistently by different writers as to whether she chooses not to talk about her bio family or whether she doesn't completely remember them. Seems to maybe be a bit of both? Likewise, the age at which she was adopted by Mystique and if her powers manifested before or after they took her in has been inconsistently presented at different times. The 2004 Rogue solo by Rodi makes it seem like she didn't remember her past, but then she does seem to remember it vividly once she is back home. But I agree, it makes sense for a runaway to be reticent to talk about her biological family and not want to use that identity. It's just a bit weird that she has never talked about it at all, even with those closest to her. In the 2004 series she leaves on a semi-positive note with her Aunt and starts going by Anna again.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Only if you can explain away the need for the decades-long ruse. Then you'd have to explain who the mother is. Doubt it be Destiny, at no point has she seemed young enough to give birth to someone that's Rogue's age now. To make this work now, you;

A: fundamentally change the way Mystique's powers work

B: create a mother

C: explain why it was necessary to hide this

D: give a point in time for it happpen (remember Rogue and Kurt are similar in age. Mystique was in a relationship with whom was thought to be Kurt's father for years in Germany (so her going back and forth to Mississippi or anywhere in the US wouldn't make sense)

When Claremont was writing the X-Men full-time in the 80s/90s, this might have worked. Maybe even with X-Treme, but wow, now? You're asking for retcons-upon-retcons.
    Not nono, YES I want Rogue to be Mytique's daughter, but not that Mytique is her father. Destiny is "another mother" but nothing biological please, I would be very afraid to imagine Mystique as a father and that reqalmente is something like a selective hermaphrodite XD.

May Mystique be your MOTHER biological mother, let's not get too scary XD.

Now everything you say is easily explained.

Rogue and Kurt are not of the same age, Rogue is much younger than Kurt, at least about 5 to 8 years old, maybe more, Kurt is closer to the age of the original m5 than the Kitty Rogue group and Colossus.

Just Kurt was a baby, was discarded by Mystique, and she also left the men who were related to the origin of Kurt, the rich man and also azazel (or as it is written) the red teleporter who is the real father of Kurt.

So Mystique could have Rogue after that a few years later with any other mutant, because if I think it should be with a mutant, the Rogue mutation is too powerful and with a huge enough potential, so that it comes only from one mutant with a normal / low mutation like the one of a change form, although good powerful mutants also come from two normal humans, so it is not indispensable, but it would be something interesting and gives a range of possibilities for the parents of Rogue, up to Xavier could enter the list, since he had his sexual encounters with Mystuqe as well.

Why would he abandon her? easy, she is a crazy and disturbed woman and she was never the mother of the year, the children that we know in canon are biological, she also abandons them, and she does not care.

With Rogue that could happen too, only that with her a few years later she changed her mind and wanted to have her daughter closer.

Everything can be explained very naturally, taking into account that Mystique is not right in the head.

Marvel make it happen.

Yeeeaaaahhh, Mystique self-impregnating, while interesting, is probably too far off the deep end. I mean, genetically speaking it's a terrible idea and then I don't want to imagine the logistics or motivations involved.

I get the appeal of making Mystique and/or Destiny biological parents and generally I like honoring the original intentions of character creators like Claremont, BUT as Don pointed out it just wouldn't make sense anymore given the continuity. Even lame stories we hate are still continuity. And Mystique already has enough abandoned bio kids as it is, she can't be everyone's mother. Lady needs to figure out birth control already.

But it IS odd for Rogue to be SO detached from her bio family and remember them so poorly all this time. My 8 year old would not soon forget her parents, and a 13 year old would certainly would not. Those are hugely formative years in fact. I could maybe see that with a 2 or 3 year old. So I believe what Mike is getting at and I tend to agree with is that the separation from them must have been traumatic, must have involved a deep sense of betrayal and/or abandonment to where she never thinks of, references, or speaks of them.

Now actually having a writer brave enough to address this and even possibly tie it to Rogue's power control issues would be awesome. I think writers are hesitant to answer big mysteries or change status quo, maybe for fear you take away something vital from a character by taking away the mystery? Or for fear of angering certain fans? Just look how PO'd some X-23 fans are about her recent reveal.
    How traumatic should it be?, So you know Rogue fled his house for spoiled, had a very strict aunt and she was rebellious, but the aunt we discovered that although he wanted very hard, just hitting him with the brush in the Buttocks from time to time when she behaved badly, nothing great, neither is it torturing her or doing her real harm.

_________

I insist if it can be explained, Rogue is a few years younger than Kurt, and the motivations for abandoning his third daughter, could be many, since he did not want children and even to protect her, or simply is crazy, which is the most likely.

But nothing that can not be explained, in fact it makes a lot of sense to me to be her true biological mother, Mytique is not one of those people who would adopt a human child because of her great heart, when Mystique the dopt did not know that she would be a future mutant , BECAUSE ROGUE WAS NOT 13 YEARS OLD, IT WAS ENOUGH MORE YOUNG THAN THAT, Rogue seemed 7 or 8 years old in the FB where he is younger with Mystique, when Mystique found her Rogue had not yet manifested her mutation.

And it is not normal for her to love so much and love, but to an adopted daughter who constantly moves away from her, loves her more than her biological children.

If it's really your biological mother, all this would make a lot of sense.

Kurt turned 21 in X-Men Annual #4, 1980. Rogue was a teenager(about 17) when she joined in Uncanny 171(1983). In comics time, that's still less than a year between the two issues, so Kurt is effectively 4 years older than Rogue.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I never quite got what Claremont's idea was behind his intention to reveal Mystique as Rogue's biological mother... which makes sense because the story never saw print LOL

I don't think it really adds anything to their relationship and actually I always liked the idea of Raven taking a child in partly because Rogue needed a family and partly because her powers could further her goals, underlying the duality of the character.

Plus I always wondered what Claremont's explanation for Rogue not having a "real" name was: it was never clear in his run whether she didn't know or just didn't care to reveal it, if I recall correctly Nicieza was the first to mention that Rogue did in fact know what her name was. Was her past so traumatic she just wanted to distance herself from it? I think it always stretched credibility that not even Mystique and Destiny addressed her by her proper name, but Claremont very rarely explored Rogue's past so I always wondered if there was a specific reason for the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Kurt turned 21 in X-Men Annual #4, 1980. Rogue was a teenager(about 17) when she joined in Uncanny 171(1983). In comics time, that's still less than a year between the two issues, so Kurt is effectively 4 years older than Rogue.
    Whatever, enough time for Mystique to have another daughter, time longer than really enough.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I never quite got what Claremont's idea was behind his intention to reveal Mystique as Rogue's biological mother... which makes sense because the story never saw print LOL

I don't think it really adds anything to their relationship and actually I always liked the idea of Raven taking a child in partly because Rogue needed a family and partly because her powers could further her goals, underlying the duality of the character.

Plus I always wondered what Claremont's explanation for Rogue not having a "real" name was: it was never clear in his run whether she didn't know or just didn't care to reveal it, if I recall correctly Nicieza was the first to mention that Rogue did in fact know what her name was. Was her past so traumatic she just wanted to distance herself from it? I think it always stretched credibility that not even Mystique and Destiny addressed her by her proper name, but Claremont very rarely explored Rogue's past so I always wondered if there was a specific reason for the mystery.
    The mystery was, that Mystiqe really ended up being really her biological mother, and it is very likely that Rogue herself knows it.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegarogue View Post
    How traumatic should it be?, So you know Rogue fled his house for spoiled, had a very strict aunt and she was rebellious, but the aunt we discovered that although he wanted very hard, just hitting him with the brush in the Buttocks from time to time when she behaved badly, nothing great, neither is it torturing her or doing her real harm.

_________

I insist if it can be explained, Rogue is a few years younger than Kurt, and the motivations for abandoning his third daughter, could be many, since he did not want children and even to protect her, or simply is crazy, which is the most likely.

But nothing that can not be explained, in fact it makes a lot of sense to me to be her true biological mother, Mytique is not one of those people who would adopt a human child because of her great heart, when Mystique the dopt did not know that she would be a future mutant , BECAUSE ROGUE WAS NOT 13 YEARS OLD, IT WAS ENOUGH MORE YOUNG THAN THAT, Rogue seemed 7 or 8 years old in the FB where he is younger with Mystique, when Mystique found her Rogue had not yet manifested her mutation.

And it is not normal for her to love so much and love, but to an adopted daughter who constantly moves away from her, loves her more than her biological children.

If it's really your biological mother, all this would make a lot of sense.
    Individual or dual mutant parents have nothing to do with the potency of the X-Gene. Just means you have a greater chance of being a mutant. It may also increase your potential, but I dont see how this automatically means Rogue's father and mother were both mutants. Some of the most powerful mutants in Marvel history have either no or just one mutant parent (Xavier, Magneto, Storm, Iceman, Legion, Mikhail Rasputin, Kid Omega, Jean, Proteus, dozens more...). Children of two mutant parents is still pretty rare, even today. Mutants are not plentiful enough to have more than a handful of such children, especially after the Genoshian-slaughter and M-Day. The only ones I can think of that are still alive are from alternate realities and/or future timelines half of which are Summers. And I said they were close, not the same age.

To be honest, Rogue is powerful due to what she's capable of. I wouldn't say she's some kind of world-beater without her Wonderman/Ms Marvel powersets. I'd say Hope and Synch are somewhat more impressive if I had to to compare, seeing as they dont need to make contact. But what makes her scary-powerful is that she can retain those powers for a long while AND knock you out in the same touch. XXM made it appear that at her optimum she may be able to recall every ability she's ever taken all at once. That'd make her god-like. Or eventually god-like if she continued to sample people's powers. So I guess, something like Apocalypse (movie) or that horrible villain in Flash last season, the Thinker? Hope on the other hand, doesnt just mimic abilities, she takes them and increases them to upmost level. Everything she uses is omega-level. But that's neither here, nor there.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 08-28-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

When Rogue had Wolverine-hair lol. I was sure the third pic was photo manipulation but I think the style is just hyper-realistic. the shadows play off the face too well

By Dustin Weaver

By Norman Lee

By Mihai Prodon

BANNED

Not a bad rendering by the artist Dustin Weaver IMO.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Not a bad rendering by the artist Dustin Weaver IMO.
    I really like the bangs, but there is a soft spot in my heart for skunk head.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"